270soft Forum
vcczar

A More Perfect Union (3rd Playthrough)

While @Herbert Hoover will be GMing the game, I'll make some comments from what I think a historian of the time would think of their living history. 

Players play the part of Party Bosses in control of a faction of a major party's politicians. 

Here are is a concise breakdown of the teams for those who will be observing: 

FEDERALISTS

@SirLagsalott (Federalist) will control the Presidency as he has George Washington. Outside of Washington, he has some quality statesmen in James Wilson, John Sullivan and as we're playing with what-if statesmen, Nathanael Greene. 

@Herbert Hoover (Federalist) will start as the VP as he has John Adams. Outside of Adams, there is some depth with Artemas Ward, Roger Sherman, Arthur St. Clair, James Iredell, Jonathan Dayton, and John Jay. 

@Conservative Elector 2 (Federalist)'s best statesman is Oliver Ellsworth. However, he's got a ton of depth, including Robert Morris, John Rutledge, Henry Lee III, Henry Knox and a few other statesman with a draft grade of B- or higher. 

@Reagan04 (Federalist)'s best statesman is Alexander Hamilton. He also has Rufus King, Charles Coatesworth Pinckney, Timothy Pickering, and Fisher Ames, among others. 

JEFFERSONIAN REPUBLICANS

@WVProgressive (JR) has Benjamin Franklin. He also has John Hancock, Samuel Adams, Patrick Henry, and others. His faction is the smallest at this point but it's pretty powerful for its size. 

@Actinguy (JR) has Albert Gallatin, but also Aaron Burr, George Clinton, John Langdon, as well as a lot of depth. He has more statesman with a draft grade of A- or higher than anyone else. 

@Hestia11 (JR) has Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. Richard Henry Lee is probably the statesman with depth with the highest name recognition. 

@SilentLiberty (JR) has James Monroe. His best depth statesmen are Nathaniel Macon and Charles Pinckney (cousin of CC Pinckney). 

The game starts with a slight voting power advantage for the Federalists. 

The actual game will start either Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday, depending on when the rules are solidified and when the GM is ready. 

34 minutes ago, vcczar said:

While @Herbert Hoover will be GMing the game, I'll make some comments from what I think a historian of the time would think of their living history. 

Players play the part of Party Bosses in control of a faction of a major party's politicians. 

Here are is a concise breakdown of the teams for those who will be observing: 

FEDERALISTS

@SirLagsalott (Federalist) will control the Presidency as he has George Washington. Outside of Washington, he has some quality statesmen in James Wilson, John Sullivan and as we're playing with what-if statesmen, Nathanael Greene. 

@Herbert Hoover (Federalist) will start as the VP as he has John Adams. Outside of Adams, there is some depth with Artemas Ward, Roger Sherman, Arthur St. Clair, James Iredell, Jonathan Dayton, and John Jay. 

@Conservative Elector 2 (Federalist)'s best statesman is Oliver Ellsworth. However, he's got a ton of depth, including Robert Morris, John Rutledge, Henry Lee III, Henry Knox and a few other statesman with a draft grade of B- or higher. 

@Reagan04 (Federalist)'s best statesman is Alexander Hamilton. He also has Rufus King, Charles Coatesworth Pinckney, Timothy Pickering, and Fisher Ames, among others. 

JEFFERSONIAN REPUBLICANS

@WVProgressive (JR) has Benjamin Franklin. He also has John Hancock, Samuel Adams, Patrick Henry, and others. His faction is the smallest at this point but it's pretty powerful for its size. 

@Actinguy (JR) has Albert Gallatin, but also Aaron Burr, George Clinton, John Langdon, as well as a lot of depth. He has more statesman with a draft grade of A- or higher than anyone else. 

@Hestia11 (JR) has Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. Richard Henry Lee is probably the statesman with depth with the highest name recognition. 

@SilentLiberty (JR) has James Monroe. His best depth statesmen are Nathaniel Macon and Charles Pinckney (cousin of CC Pinckney). 

The game starts with a slight voting power advantage for the Federalists. 

The actual game will start either Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday, depending on when the rules are solidified and when the GM is ready. 

I'm ready to start when everyone else is.

8 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

I'm sorry, I've been really busy and haven't had time to read the rules yet. I should be able to tomorrow.

8 hours ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Same.

2 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Put me in, Coach!  I can play!  

;c)

Exactly, I can't wait for the opening.

31 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Since @Kingthero has agreed to be active and take on SirLags faction, we can start when @Herbert Hoover is ready to start GMing. @SilentLiberty controls George Washington. 

So dors this mean we live in an Alternate Timeline where Washington is JR aligned? 

14 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

So dors this mean we live in an Alternate Timeline where Washington is JR aligned? 

No Silent Liberty has Sir Lags faction now. King Thero has silent liberty’s faction. 

43 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Since @Kingthero has agreed to be active and take on SirLags faction, we can start when @Herbert Hoover is ready to start GMing. @SilentLiberty controls George Washington. 

I'm ready and raring to go! I'll start as soon as @WVProgressive, @Actinguy, @Reagan04, @Kingthero, and @Hestia11 fill out the FormForElection on the spreadsheet. 

Also, each faction should nominate someone who can act in a MIA members place. I'd say that @Conservative Elector 2 and @Hestia11 could be good options.

7 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Also, each faction should nominate someone who can act in a MIA members place. I'd say that @Conservative Elector 2 and @Hestia11 could be good options.

I think this is a good idea, and both good options. 

19 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

12 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I think this is a good idea, and both good options. 

Sure for any business which is timely suitable to the time zone I'm living in, I could do it of course (at least until October 2nd (university starts again)).

1 hour ago, Herbert Hoover said:

I'm ready and raring to go! I'll start as soon as @WVProgressive, @Actinguy, @Reagan04, @Kingthero, and @Hestia11 fill out the FormForElection on the spreadsheet. 

no edit access

8 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

no edit access

@vcczar just in case a ping is needed there

29 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

no edit access

Ok, it should be fixed now. 

We just need @Reagan04 and @Hestia11 to fill out their election forms and we are ready to start.

16 hours ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Complete on my end.  Just need @Reagan04 and @Hestia11

I assume we can't select House & Senate leaders until we know who is in the House & Senate. 

Actually -- how far ahead are we supposed to be filling these out?  I see some folks submitted their picks for Senator despite not winning focus governor yet, and their focus rep, party leader, and house/senate leaders despite not knowing who is in the House and Senate yet.

I didn't play last time, so maybe that was an agreed upon change.  Just checking -- how much of the election chart are we supposed to fill out right now?

Just now, Actinguy said:

Complete on my end.  Just need @Reagan04 and @Hestia11

I assume we can't select House & Senate leaders until we know who is in the House & Senate. 

Actually -- how far ahead are we supposed to be filling these out?  I see some folks submitted their picks for Senator despite not winning focus governor yet, and their focus rep, party leader, and house/senate leaders despite not knowing who is in the House and Senate yet.

I didn't play last time, so maybe that was an agreed upon change.  Just checking -- how much of the election chart are we supposed to fill out right now?

Typically we fill these out right before Presidential Primaries. Some of the selections are a bit more difficult to speculate on, so typically I would say don't worry about Focus Senators and Cabinet Members. 

Additionally, the Party Leader, Senate Min/Maj leader, and Speaker of the House/House Minority Leader are ALL selected by the person with the most Voting Power in each faction. So Hestia will get to choose those for the Democratic Republicans and Reagan for us. 

3 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Typically we fill these out right before Presidential Primaries. Some of the selections are a bit more difficult to speculate on, so typically I would say don't worry about Focus Senators and Cabinet Members. 

Additionally, the Party Leader, Senate Min/Maj leader, and Speaker of the House/House Minority Leader are ALL selected by the person with the most Voting Power in each faction. So Hestia will get to choose those for the Democratic Republicans and Reagan for us. 

Ok.  So next step (after picks are in) will be  for you to announce the Focus Govs, Senators, and Focus Rep in a single post? Just making sure I understand.

2 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Ok.  So next step (after picks are in) will be  for you to announce the Focus Govs, Senators, and Focus Rep in a single post? Just making sure I understand.

Yep! As well as calculating control of the House and if either party has Senate control/dominance. Then you guys can announce your picks for official Congressional leadership. 

After all of that, I believe we'll roll for some general random events and the random death this half term. 

A More Perfect Union

The United States of America had won her independence, but the question remained as to who would govern her. The electoral college convened in the Winter of 1789-1790 and unanimously elected George Washington as President and John Adams as his Vice President by a significant margin. The two men were both active in the Revolutionary War, and well known to the American public as patriots. 

Several factions vie for influence over the newly formed government. Liberals, Conservatives, Moderates, Traditionalists, and Progressives alike of each party fight for their share of representation and to influence the future of the nation and public policy. These factions are: 

@SilentLiberty: This faction is the Progressive-Liberal faction of the Federalist Party, and it will eventually evolve into the Progressive Republicans of 20th century. 

@Herbert Hoover This faction is the Liberal-Moderate faction of the Federalist Party, and it will eventually evolve into the Liberal, Rockefeller Republicans. 

@Conservative Elector 2: This is the Conservative-Moderate faction of the Federalist Party, and it will eventually evolve to include those such as the Bush Dynasty, Ronald Reagan, and other famous conservatives. 

@Reagan04: This is the Traditionalist-Conservative faction of the Federalist Party, which will eventually evolve into the Tea Party movement of today. 

@WVProgressive: This is the Progressive-Liberal faction of the Democratic-Republican Party, which will eventually evolve into the Progressive faction of the Democratic Party. 

@Actinguy: This is the Liberal-Moderate faction of the Democratic-Republican Party, which will eventually evolve into the faction of the Democratic Party that includes famous names such as Walter Mondale, Barack Obama, and Mario Cuomo. 

@Kingthero: This is the Traditionalist-Conservative faction of the Democratic-Republican Party, which will eventually evolve into the Blue Dog faction of the Democratic Party. 

I finished biographical date for @SilentLiberty's faction. Here's some interesting facts:

• Six of his statesmen are actually older than George Washington. 
  • Most of his statesmen are either Episcopal or New England Congregationalists. He has one Roman Catholic and one Deist (Washington). 
  • Almost all his statesmen are primarily English descent, but he has some Scottish, Irish, and one Dutch. 
  • Less than half of his statesmen have law degrees. Most of those who do got their "degree" by studying under a lawyer rather than at a university. One lawyer was able to practice despite being self-taught. Three got their law degree in England. 
  • Eleven of his statesmen got no degree at all, including Washington. 
  • It appears that the most common university degree by his statesmen is from U of Pennsylvania (where Trump bought his degree). Harvard, Princeton, William & Mary are well represented. 
  • Jonathan Elmer is his only statesman with a PhD, the first to get a PhD in medicine in America. 
  • Three of his statesmen are immigrants (Prussia, Ireland, and Scotland). 
  • Two of his statesmen are early abolitionists. 
  • Two of his statesmen are celebrated polymaths (geniuses in multiple fields. 

Check out the statesman tab and scroll all the way to the right for more details. 

2 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

A More Perfect Union

The United States of America had won her independence, but the question remained as to who would govern her. The electoral college convened in the Winter of 1789-1790 and unanimously elected George Washington as President and John Adams as his Vice President by a significant margin. The two men were both active in the Revolutionary War, and well known to the American public as patriots. 

Several factions vie for influence over the newly formed government. Liberals, Conservatives, Moderates, Traditionalists, and Progressives alike of each party fight for their share of representation and to influence the future of the nation and public policy. These factions are: 

@SilentLiberty: This faction is the Progressive-Liberal faction of the Federalist Party, and it will eventually evolve into the Progressive Republicans of 20th century. 

@Herbert Hoover This faction is the Liberal-Moderate faction of the Federalist Party, and it will eventually evolve into the Liberal, Rockefeller Republicans. 

@Conservative Elector 2: This is the Conservative-Moderate faction of the Federalist Party, and it will eventually evolve to include those such as the Bush Dynasty, Ronald Reagan, and other famous conservatives. 

@Reagan04: This is the Traditionalist-Conservative faction of the Federalist Party, which will eventually evolve into the Tea Party movement of today. 

@WVProgressive: This is the Progressive-Liberal faction of the Democratic-Republican Party, which will eventually evolve into the Progressive faction of the Democratic Party. 

@Actinguy: This is the Liberal-Moderate faction of the Democratic-Republican Party, which will eventually evolve into the faction of the Democratic Party that includes famous names such as Walter Mondale, Barack Obama, and Mario Cuomo. 

@Kingthero: This is the Traditionalist-Conservative faction of the Democratic-Republican Party, which will eventually evolve into the Blue Dog faction of the Democratic Party. 

You forgot a faction. 

Governorships and Congressional Chambers

The nation is split geographically into four distinct regions at the games start, and each of these regions has a Focus Governor who appoints all of the Senators in that region. These regions begin this particular session rather evenly split, with each party controlling two focus governor positions. 

New England is represented by Governor John Langdon of New Hampshire, who appoints 8 DR Senators to begin the game. @Actinguy

The Mid-Atlantic is represented by Governor John Jay of New York, who appoints 10 Federalists Senators to begin the game. 

The Upper South is represented by Governor Thomas Jefferson of Virginia, who appoints 4 DR Senators to begin the game. @Hestia11 (Note: To Hestia, use Voting Power instead of Focus Senator power. Additionally, Jefferson cannot serve as Governor and Senator, so let me know who to put in that spot)

The Deep South is represented by Governor John Rutledge of South Carolina, who appoints 4 Federalists Senators to begin the game. @Conservative Elector 2

While the Federalists lead in the Senate, most legislation is likely to be a toss-up. This means every player must cast their vote on legislation. The Senate Majority Leader is Rufus King of New York. The Senate Minority Leader is James Madison. Amasa Learned stands out as a Focus Representative. 

The House of Representatives begins at a total of 376-309 in favor of the Federalist Party. This means that only two players must agree with the House Majority Leader for legislation to be passed. 

Theodore Sedgewick is the House Majority Leader, and the House Minority Leader is Peter Muhlenberg