270soft Forum
vcczar

Hypothetical GOP Poll

Hypothetical GOP Poll  

25 members have voted

1. 1. If all 2020 GOP primary candidates were equal in the poll, who would you support if you were going to vote for one over a Democrat?

• Donald Trump
    • Bill Weld
    • Joe Walsh
    • Mark Sanford

3 hours ago, admin_270 said:

I am not sure if that's a joke. :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Walsh_(American_politician)

Just now, Patine said:

I didn't even know there were two significant and (possibly) relevant Joe Walsh's before just now, myself.

I never heard of the musician to be honest.

Just now, Conservative Elector 2 said:

The Eagles are great music. A classic rock band of great pedigree. They perform "Desperado," and "Hotel California," as stand out hits.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

The Eagles are great music. A classic rock band of great pedigree. They perform "Desperado," and "Hotel California," as stand out hits.

Interesting, I think I've heard of ''Hotel California''. 

I usually don't listen much contemporary music. I know many songs when I hear them, but I can't tell you the song's or interpret's name most of the time. I have some classical favorite songs, but the only (contemporary) music I actively listen is Korean music. 

Just now, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Interesting, I think I've heard of ''Hotel California''. 

I usually don't listen much contemporary music. I know many songs when I hear them, but I can't tell you the song's or interpret's name most of the time. I have some classical favorite songs, but the only (contemporary) music I actively listen is Korean music. 

Like K-Pop? That stuff is ear poison... :(

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

Like K-Pop? That stuff is ear poison... :(

Not every song LOL and yes that's related to my studies and keeps me motivated at some time. Definitely a good thing when you are learning language.

13 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Not every song LOL and yes that's related to my studies and keeps me motivated at some time. Definitely a good thing when you are learning language.

But doesn't K-Pop, like most language's pop music, heavily use colloquialisms and improper grammar?

2 hours ago, Patine said:

But doesn't K-Pop, like most language's pop music, heavily use colloquialisms and improper grammar?

That's true but at least you get to learn new words and expressions.

4 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Interesting.  The musician is far more well known among the general public.

11 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

He's one of the guitarists from the American rock group, "The Eagles". Considering you are from Austria, I am unsure how big the band is there now- since the band is currently relegated to the classic rock stations in the US.

Two of their best known songs from when Walsh was in the group.

2 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

He's one of the guitarists from the American rock group, "The Eagles". Considering you are from Austria, I am unsure how big the band is there now- since the band is currently relegated to the classic rock stations in the US.

Two of their best known songs from when Walsh was in the group.

Thank you very much, I will listen to this my friend. I do not even know if anyone I have talked to ever mentioned The Eagles to me, but I guess some people here might know them anyway. I am just not very much into rock music or any contemporary artist like Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift. I guess some might consider this comparison an insult for Mr. Walsh but that's certainly not my intention. I just want to mention examples I believe nearly everyone knows songs of.

Walsh was also the lead guitarist of the James Gang.  You may have heard part of this one in any number of films over the past 45 years.  That's him pictured on the right.

One thing that’s interesting is that Trump is the 5th incumbent to face challengers that have held national offices. Also the incumbent to have the most challenges. 

Of the five presidents to have faced these challenges, everyone was denominated, but only one went on to win the general election: Nixon. Thus, challenges by national figures against an incumbent could be a good sign that a president is a one term president. 

A note on Nixon as the outlier. 1972 was the first time every state had a primary. The fact that Nixon has challengers probably stems more as a residual from the old Convention era rules. From 1912-1968, some states had primaries and candidates for convention generally ran in the primaries as well. An incumbent was expected to face challenges. 

I don’t think the concept of the president as unquestioned leader until Reagan’s re-election or Clinton’s re-election. Bush II and Obama didn’t face anyone remotely close to the prestige of two former Governors and a former US Rep as Trump is facing. 

Carter and Ford faced the toughest challenges for an incumbent Pres with Ted Kennedy and Ronald Reagan challenging them. 

5 hours ago, pilight said:

Walsh was also the lead guitarist of the James Gang.  You may have heard part of this one in any number of films over the past 45 years.  That's him pictured on the right.

At this point, I'm convinced 20% of classic rock is from Joe Walsh.