270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Greatest Failed Post-World War II Nominee

Greatest Failed Post-WWII Nominee  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the Greatest Nominee of a major party since WWII to never win the General Election? *Pick no more than three*

• Thomas E. Dewey (R)
    • Adali E Stevenson (D)
    • Barry Goldwater (R)
    • Hubert Humphrey (D)
    • George McGovern (D)
    • Gerald Ford (R) *President, but ever won the presidency in his own right*
    • Walter Mondale (D)
    • Michael Dukakis (D)
    • Bob Dole (R)
    • Al Gore (D)
    • John Kerry (D)
    • John McCain (R)
    • Mitt Romney (R)
    • Hillary Clinton (D)
  2. 2. Which of the following Democratic candidates is most likely to join the above list among the following?

• Joe Biden
    • Bernie Sanders
    • Elizabeth Warren
    • Pete Buttigieg
    • Kamala Harris
  3. 3. Who was the worst failed nominee of the 21st century?

• Al Gore
    • John Kerry
    • John McCain
    • Mitt Romney
    • Hillary Clinton

16 minutes ago, vcczar said:

New poll

Given they're much more impressive than normal polling and vote-share, shouldn't Thurmond, Wallace (both Henry and George), and Perot be on the first question, if no other Third Party candidates?

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

Given they're much more impressive than normal polling and vote-share, shouldn't Thurmond, Wallace (both Henry and George), and Perot be on the first question, if no other Third Party candidates?

I mention in the poll that I'm only considering major parties. I'm only interested in 3rd parties when they have a shot at 270 Electoral Votes, no matter how much I prefer them to the major parties. When Libertarians, Green, etc. poll with a chance at 270 EVs I'll add them or when the electoral college is finally dead. 

18 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I mention in the poll that I'm only considering major parties. I'm only interested in 3rd parties when they have a shot at 270 Electoral Votes, no matter how much I prefer them to the major parties. When Libertarians, Green, etc. poll with a chance at 270 EVs I'll add them or when the electoral college is finally dead. 

Weren't a few early '92 Perot polls and predictions saying he had such a chance in possibility?

36 minutes ago, Patine said:

Weren't a few early '92 Perot polls and predictions saying he had such a chance in possibility?

He was leading in the polls in the early Summer, but never enough to have had a chance at 270 EVs most likely. He probably would have just sent the election to the House, which would have picked Bush or Clinton, even if Perot had a PV lead.  

1.Hubert Humphrey,Al Gore,George McGovern.I misunderstood the question as pick just one.

2.Biden

3.Hillary

3 is the rare occasion where from Far Left to Far Right everyone pretty much agrees Clinton ran an abysmal campaign. 

32 minutes ago, Dr. Insano said:

3 is the rare occasion where from Far Left to Far Right everyone pretty much agrees Clinton ran an abysmal campaign. 

Which is a good sign for Democrats in 2020. Imagine how well Dems should do with someone that isn’t Clinton. 

I'm a little surprised that no one else put Ford down for question one. Jerry just keeps getting pushed aside.

I've been reading Dewey's biography, and honestly he is one of the smartest men to run for office --- he was a very successive attorney/lawyer/investigator who closed many corruption cases during the high crime times of the 1920s-40s.

For number 3 Clinton was definitely a worse candidate and ran a worse campaign than Romney, chose Romney due to his post election actions.