270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sunnymentoaddict

Mark Sanford is running for President.

I'm really disappointed that everyone except Weld is just the worst of the anti-Trump Republicans. I'm not super surprised but I wish there were better alternatives. Still voting for Weld if I'm not interested in the Dem primaries by Super Tuesday.

17 minutes ago, SirLagsalott said:

I'm really disappointed that everyone except Weld is just the worst of the anti-Trump Republicans. I'm not super surprised but I wish there were better alternatives. Still voting for Weld if I'm not interested in the Dem primaries by Super Tuesday.

>implying Weld isn't just also among the worst anti-Trump Republicans

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

>implying Weld isn't just also among the worst anti-Trump Republicans

I'm implying he's not because he isn't.

2 hours ago, Patine said:

No, he's Mark Sanford. That's another really annoying, stupid zeitgeist thing today too. Saying someone IS ACTUALLY someone else outright, because of one or several similarities.

Tell me something that makes you happy.  I’ll accept anything — my only requirement is it has to be something that has actually happened.  I would love to know.

On 9/8/2019 at 6:24 PM, Patine said:

Bipartisanship in the United States is becoming rarer and rarer, and, when it does occur, usually is around irreprehensible and indefensible things like foreign wars to enrich resource, contracting, and arms corporations (and lie about the reasons thoroughly), send money and arms to foreign "allies" who commit war crimes and atrocities, utilize government-funded terrorist groups like the CIA, pass blatant and gross violations of Constitutional law like the Patriot Act, or screw over taxpayers by favouring the rich and big corporations in terms of tax break, bailing out big banks at the taxpayers' expense, and other awful things like that. These have been what has been typical of "bipartisan" legislation in the 21st Century. So, if it means the government making themselves high-level criminals to do so, I'd rather skip "bipartisanship" in the U.S., frankly.

Actually, business in Washington is TOO bipartisan.  Each side puts on a show and then agree to more debt, more big government surveillance, more corporatism (through regulations, targeting tax loopholes, etc.).  Both sides suck fir the most part.

26 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Actually, business in Washington is TOO bipartisan.  Each side puts on a show and then agree to more debt, more big government surveillance, more corporatism (through regulations, targeting tax loopholes, etc.).  Both sides suck fir the most part.

The big government surveillance got firmly entrenched (as well as a bunch of other blatantly Constitution-violating provisions - some of which yet to be utilized to their maximum possible extent of abuse) when George W. Bush, opportunistically and in a vulture-like manipulation, took advantage of a single brazen act against the United States, and played the people's fears and anger like a harp to pass the great act of treason and sedition against his nation and people and a massive show of contempt for the U.S. Constitution that was the (un)Patriot Act - the toolkit for slowly assembling an American tyranny.

17 hours ago, Patine said:

The big government surveillance got firmly entrenched (as well as a bunch of other blatantly Constitution-violating provisions - some of which yet to be utilized to their maximum possible extent of abuse) when George W. Bush, opportunistically and in a vulture-like manipulation, took advantage of a single brazen act against the United States, and played the people's fears and anger like a harp to pass the great act of treason and sedition against his nation and people and a massive show of contempt for the U.S. Constitution that was the (un)Patriot Act - the toolkit for slowly assembling an American tyranny.

Agreed.  In fact, I am writing my history capstone paper on the Patriot Act and how public perception of it has changed from right after 9/11 until near the end of the decade.  I'm looking forward to this opportunity to drive more deeply into everything that it encompassed.