270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hestia11

UK 2019

I’m thinking (thinking!) of creating a 2019 UK scenario based on an election in either November or December (Brexit extension). Should Change U.K. or Brexit Party be included? I’m leaning towards no on Change but could be convinced and I’m thinking yes on Brexit. What does everyone think? 

The Brexit Party is a must I would say, even if they don't win seats, they would easily affect the outcome of many seats if they do run and not make any agreements with the Conservatives. Change UK would be useful, if not just to provide a spoiler effect in certain seats or advertising.

Apart from Brexit, there are lots of issues which may play a part in any upcoming election (some linked with Brexit also).

• Antisemitism (Jeremy Corbyn and Labour)
  • Islamophobia (Boris Johnson and the Burka row)
  • Building regulations (the fire at Grenfell Tower in London)
  • Knife Crime (London)
  • HS2
  • Fracking
  • Scottish Independence
  • Austerity
  • NHS
  • Education Funding
  • Immigration
  • UK-USA Trade Deal/ Relationship with President Trump
  • Relations with Russia (Salisbury)

13 minutes ago, daons said:

The Brexit Party is a must I would say, even if they don't win seats, they would easily affect the outcome of many seats if they do run and not make any agreements with the Conservatives. Change UK would be useful, if not just to provide a spoiler effect in certain seats or advertising.

Apart from Brexit, there are lots of issues which may play a part in any upcoming election (some linked with Brexit also).

• Knife Crime (London)
  • HS2
  • Fracking
  • Scottish Independence
  • Austerity
  • NHS
  • Education Funding
  • Immigration

I don't think the entire Labour is Anti-Semitic. Plus, the term kind of greats down in usage when the accusation involves taking sides between Jews and Palestinians in the Middle East in comments, as Palestinians (and all Arabs) are a Semitic people, like Jews, and Arabic is a Semitic language, like Hebrew. In fact, the term Anti-Semitic has really shown it's age badly when Arabs (and those accused of "taking "sides with Arabs against Jews") are among the biggest targets today to tar with the term, and the term was created in the first place in the 19th Century by a Hungarian sociologist very much guilty of the sin the term is supposed to refer to. This is where I think a terminology upgrade is needed...

Maybe Antisemitism/Anti-Zionism and Israel/Palestine issues would cover more areas in the equation. It's certainly an interesting area for discussion.

7 minutes ago, daons said:

Maybe Antisemitism/Anti-Zionism and Israel/Palestine issues would cover more areas in the equation. It's certainly an interesting area for discussion.

@NYrepublican, who is himself Jewish, suggests Anti-Judean as a more concise term, as Anti-Jewish implies only opposition to and hatred of the RELIGION, and Anti-Zionist implies opposition to or hard criticism of a broad, albeit multi-faceted, socio-political viewpoint, which not all Jews are involved in, have a direct stake in, participate in, or themselves support.

1 hour ago, daons said:

• Knife Crime (London)
  • HS2
  • Fracking
  • Scottish Independence
  • Austerity
  • NHS
  • Education Funding
  • Immigration

The only reason I wouldnt put Brexit is if they made a deal with Johnson not to run candidates. I decided to put them both in (Change at 2-1% in most places). Thanks for the issue suggestions!

Update:

Completed regions of NE Scotland, S Scotland, Wales, SW Northern Ireland, NE Northern Ireland, West Country, West of England, and Birmingham and Coventry.