270soft Forum
Herbert Hoover

Biden's Eye Fills With Blood At Townhall

8 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I love Buttigieg.  He is the anti-Trump in every way.  I’m surprised by how many of my friends have never heard of him yet.

We urgently need just a top five debate.  He would fly to the top.

I don't necessarily agree. During debates he comes off as solid, but not particularly the winner (Warren mostly outshines him on those parts). I'm concerned about anyone running for President who hasn't had a Governor-Senate type job or up. 

25 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

I don't necessarily agree. During debates he comes off as solid, but not particularly the winner (Warren mostly outshines him on those parts). I'm concerned about anyone running for President who hasn't had a Governor-Senate type job or up. 

I was concerned too...rolled my eyes at him at first.   

But every single thing I’ve learned about him just makes me love him more and more.

35 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

ifonlyyouknew.jpg.cbc2b613b3c516a7a0d887fb4d345b71.jpg

A very good analog to Trump's denial of the reality of the situation and how his promises are highly unrealistic and his "Make America Great Again," slogan something he, himself, is utterly incapable of. Not that the optimism of most of the Democratic Primary candidates is any more in touch with reality. The U.S. needs candidates who acknowledge the ACTUAL circumstances, acknowledge the nation is on a downhill drop because of policies that have become practically unchallenged and standardized, and willing to make REAL and MEANINGFUL change and address the actual roots of the nation's problems - not just play "whack-a-mole" with the symptoms of said root issues, and then congratulate themselves.

4 hours ago, Patine said:

I still believe Trump's mental faculties are suffering, like Biden's. But Goldwater established that Americans voters have no right at all to know the state of mental health of their head-of-state or potential head-of-state - despite that being a crucial and vital piece of information. Three cheers for Goldwater and his "protection for potential Kim's, Niyazhov's, Gadaffi's, and Mputo's being elected to the White House" lawsuit. :S

How, the Goldwater Rule is a rule of medical ethics which states that a physician may not ethically comment on whether a candidate is fit to serve if they have never examined them in person. It's common sense medical practice and is hardly reason to say that Goldwater protected psychopathic dictators from being found out. He was unfairly targeted, he sued, he won, medical ethics adapted.

11 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

How, the Goldwater Rule is a rule of medical ethics which states that a physician may not ethically comment on whether a candidate is fit to serve if they have never examined them in person. It's common sense medical practice and is hardly reason to say that Goldwater protected psychopathic dictators from being found out. He was unfairly targeted, he sued, he won, medical ethics adapted.

Counter-point. A potential employer, or a current employer, is legally allowed to inquire into elements of the health (mental and physical) of an employee where it would likely affect their job performance. In a Constitutional electoral representative form of government, the chief executive of the nation (President, PM, Chancellor, etc.)'s employers, by definition and political theory,  are the voting population.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Counter-point. A potential employer, or a current employer, is legally allowed to inquire into elements of the health (mental and physical) of an employee where it would likely affect their job performance. In a Constitutional electoral representative form of government, the chief executive of the nation (President, PM, Chancellor, etc.)'s employers, by definition and political theory,  are the voting population.

And the people aren't allowed to inquire into the elements of health vis a vis the press? Can an employer ask a physician to diagnose a possible employee they've never met nor examined? Of course not.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

And the people aren't allowed to inquire into the elements of health vis a vis the press? Can an employer ask a physician to diagnose a possible employee they've never met nor examined? Of course not.

Employers are allowed to demand medical examinations before an applicant can takes up employment, even an examination done by a company doctor as opposed to the applicant's personal physician. The Goldwater Rule denies the voters that option, by default too,  because there's no mandatory way such an examination can be demanded before a President-elect enters the White House.

If Biden has Reagan's political skills (thinking quite specifically here of Reagan's response to the age question in one of his debates with Walter Mondale), then it will be less of an issue. But I'm not entirely sure he does. 

2 hours ago, RFK/JFKfan said:

If Biden has Reagan's political skills (thinking quite specifically here of Reagan's response to the age question in one of his debates with Walter Mondale), then it will be less of an issue. But I'm not entirely sure he does. 

If Biden had Reagan's political skills he'd have been president 30 years ago

4 hours ago, RFK/JFKfan said:

Well, Trump isn't exactly young, so Biden can't use Reagan's line against Mondale. Biden's answer is probably going to have to be along the lines of, "Here are my medical records, and if I wasn't absolutely sure I could do this job, I wouldn't be running."

Besides, Trump rambles, makes factually incorrect statements, and generally seems like he doesn't know what he's talking about plenty of time. I don't really see how this is a comparison that Biden somehow loses.

3 hours ago, RI Democrat said:

Well, Trump isn't exactly young, so Biden can't use Reagan's line against Mondale. Biden's answer is probably going to have to be along the lines of, "Here are my medical records, and if I wasn't absolutely sure I could do this job, I wouldn't be running."

Besides, Trump rambles, makes factually incorrect statements, and generally seems like he doesn't know what he's talking about plenty of time. I don't really see how this is a comparison that Biden somehow loses.

But I do still make the voters should still have the right to know their candidates state of mental and physical health, the same way a potential employer can demand relevant health information for an applicant for potential employment, as because as I told @Reagan04, above, the U.S. President, and every other elected government official's, employers are their voters who elect them. Goldwater's misguided and arrogant view of "medical privacy" in that regard, which he got the courts to agree with at the time, is showing disrespect and contempt for the voters, and a sense of aristocratic entitlement of himself as a candidate - and the whole Goldwater Rule is based on that conceit.

3 hours ago, Patine said:

. Goldwater's misguided and arrogant view of "medical privacy" in that regard, which he got the courts to agree with at the time, is showing disrespect and contempt for the voters, and a sense of aristocratic entitlement of himself as a candidate - and the whole Goldwater Rule is based on that conceit.

Dude, it wasn't a court, it was literally the APA that decided after physicians who had never met the man were participating in a poll of whether or not Goldwater is fit that they decided such blanket black and white decisions from someone without any real medical experience with the patient was unethical. Its an ethics rule, I'd support a government physician evaluating candidates for President and guess what, the Goldwater rule wouldn't prohibit it because even though it has your great Satan's name on it, its a commonsense rule of medical ethics and doesn't prohibit whatsoever an actual inspection of a candidate and the subsequent sharing of that information, it governs patients never examined. So while I get you enjoy shitting on Goldwater and pinning those horns and tail on him, this is one of the worst and intellectually weakest ways to do it.

37 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Dude, it wasn't a court, it was literally the APA that decided after physicians who had never met the man were participating in a poll of whether or not Goldwater is fit that they decided such blanket black and white decisions from someone without any real medical experience with the patient was unethical. Its an ethics rule, I'd support a government physician evaluating candidates for President and guess what, the Goldwater rule wouldn't prohibit it because even though it has your great Satan's name on it, its a commonsense rule of medical ethics and doesn't prohibit whatsoever an actual inspection of a candidate and the subsequent sharing of that information, it governs patients never examined. So while I get you enjoy shitting on Goldwater and pinning those horns and tail on him, this is one of the worst and intellectually weakest ways to do it.

Goldwater my Great Satan? No. He's far too small potatoes (despite the fact he was a proponent of seriously using in a stated context  what quite possibly is the greatest sin and blasphemy against God's creation ever committed by humanity as a whole to date - nuclear weapons). Although he, himself, had no real forward vision, he was one of several major figure from the '60's who began the denegration and polarization of American politics into the vicious, irresolvable gridlock ready to tear the nation apart and serving as the festering, internal cancer of the United States that is killing the nation and civilization from within we see today.