270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

New UK Prime Minister Poll (text poll)

1) Considering Boris Johnson has suffered two defeats by Parliament, defections in his party, and is the first PM to lose power to parliament since 1894 (or is it 1896), how would you rank Boris Johnson as Prime Minister if his premiership ended today?

• Great PM
  • Above Average
  • Average
  • Below Average
  • Failed PM

2) Who has been the worst Conservative PM since they took power?

• Cameron
  • May
  • Johnson

3) Who is likely to be PM a year from now?

• Johnson
  • A different Conservative
  • Corbyn (Labour leader)
  • A different Labour
  • A Liberal Democrat 

4) What do you think happens to Brexit?

• No Deal Brexit occurs when Johnson expects it to occur
  • No Deal Brexit occurs but at a later date
  • A Brexit deal does occur
  • A Brexit deal does occur, but it's so close to staying into the EU that it's a Brexit in name only.
  • Brexit is delayed until there is a new vote on it and it is abandoned; UK stays in EU. 

16 minutes ago, vcczar said:

1) Considering Boris Johnson has suffered two defeats by Parliament, defections in his party, and is the first PM to lose power to parliament since 1894 (or is it 1896), how would you rank Boris Johnson as Prime Minister if his premiership ended today?

• Great PM
  • Above Average
  • Average
  • Below Average
  • Failed PM

• Cameron
  • May
  • Johnson

• Johnson
  • Corbyn (Labour leader)
  • A different Labour
  • A Liberal Democrat 

• A Brexit deal does occur, but it's so close to staying into the EU that it's a Brexit in name only.
  • Brexit is delayed until there is a new vote on it and it is abandoned; UK stays in EU. 

1. Failed PM

2. Johnson

3. It seems Corbyn has momentum but I don't feel confident in any predictions here. 

4. Brexit in name only essentially.

Edited by SilentLiberty
Butchered essentially, so fixed it.

8 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

1. Failed PM

2. Johnson

3. It seems Corbyn has momentum but I don't feel confident in any predictions here. 

4. Brexit in name only essitently. 

Part of me thinks Corbyn might let someone else lead to get more anti-Johnson support. In the 19th century, there was some party leader that would have been PM but he let someone else be the PM. I forgot his name. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

Part of me thinks Corbyn might let someone else lead to get more anti-Johnson support. In the 19th century, there was some party leader that would have been PM but he let someone else be the PM. I forgot his name. 

Ha, maybe that was his goal? Hah!

I agree though, it just seems like such an odd situation for whoever will be the next PM. It's really been an odd situation since it started a few years ago tbh.

14 minutes ago, vcczar said:

• Great PM
  • Above Average - he tries to do what the British public wanted their PM to do. Deliver Brexit. It's not his fault that the parliament constantly blocks the delivering of Brexit. Some MPs put EU interests above British interests and that's inconceivable.
  • Average
  • Below Average
  • Failed PM

• Cameron
  • May - she worked three years and was not able to deliver the result the people wanted in 2016.
  • Johnson

• Johnson - if they going to hold a general election, the Conservative party will win it. I hope they make a deal with the Brexit Party. Labour is under pressure from the Liberal Democrats, so this would be interesting.
  • Corbyn (Labour leader)
  • A different Labour
  • A Liberal Democrat 

• No Deal Brexit occurs when Johnson expects it to occur - I am sure Johnson will be able to bring his vision to the people (whether it be through a general election or not). 

Here are my answers (by the way I recommend the House of Commons Live Stream to you all.

19 minutes ago, vcczar said:

• Great PM
  • Above Average
  • Average
  • Below Average
  • Failed PM

• Cameron
  • May
  • Johnson

• Johnson
  • Corbyn (Labour leader)
  • A different Labour
  • A Liberal Democrat 

1. Below Average as of now - but I think if he does well in an election he could go up (or down if he does badly)

2. Johnson

3. Corbyn, as of now, but he would need substantial support from either the Liberal Democrats or the SNP. 

4. A Brexit deal does occur, but it's so close to staying into the EU that it's a Brexit in name only (if Labour government without support) - or Brexit is delayed and a new vote occurs and the people vote to Remain (a de facto victory for the Liberal Democrats).

6 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Here are my answers (by the way I recommend the House of Commons Live Stream to you all.

Thanks. It's so crazy that only about 9 months ago I was sitting where Boris Johnson is sitting in that image. It's such a small chamber. I wonder what it's like with all the body heat when it's full. It's clear that not everyone fits. The whole building is kind of interesting to. The have a hallway for Yea votes and one for Nay votes. 

If it ended today, he would be a failure on his own terms. If you don't achieve the fundamental goal that you promised when you entered the job, then you can't be regarded as anything else. Blaming those who oppose Brexit is akin to blaming the enemy when you lose a war. 

Cameron, like his two immediate successors, was concerned primarily with tactics over strategy, but his relative longevity makes him the most damaging for the country. 

My gut tells me that Johnson will have either worn himself out or will have lost power via a general election, or maybe even have been forced out by his own party while it's still in power. I'd say either Corbyn or Gove. 

This I have no idea on. But I wouldn't rule out a May-style deal eventually passing via Labour votes, which leads both the Brexit Party and the Lib Dems having solid 20-25% support in the polls for the foreseeable future. 

Failed PM. He was destined to fail from the start.

May. That old battleaxe. It's just fortunate that she didn't last half as long as Thatcher did!

Possibly Johnson, but that's doubtful given that most Tory MPs eagerly await the opportunity to oust even him. Of course, there's people in Labour wanting to oust Corbyn, too. It depends on who's in charge a year from now.

A Brexit deal does occur. It'll have to; a law was passed forbidding otherwise!

4 minutes ago, Wiw said:

a law was passed forbidding otherwise!

Can they pass another law to undo this?

1.Failed PM

2.Johnson

3.Corbyn

4.UK stays in EU.

On 9/4/2019 at 3:44 PM, vcczar said:

• Great PM
  • Above Average
  • Average
  • Below Average
  • Failed PM

• Cameron
  • May
  • Johnson

• Johnson
  • Corbyn (Labour leader)
  • A different Labour
  • A Liberal Democrat 

• Great PM
  • Above Average
  • Average
  • Below Average
  • Failed PM

• Cameron
  • May
  • Johnson

• Johnson
  • Corbyn (Labour leader)
  • A different Labour
  • A Liberal Democrat 

If the UK stays in the EU, then the Brexit Party will eat up whatever remains of the Conservative Party (and some of the Labor as well).  After which, they would probably have enough to exit.  Brexit has to happen or else the British political climate will collapse.

32 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

If the UK stays in the EU, then the Brexit Party will eat up whatever remains of the Conservative Party (and some of the Labor as well).  After which, they would probably have enough to exit.  Brexit has to happen or else the British political climate will collapse.

If I may ask, since you support Brexit (and certain other notable EU Exit campaigns in other EU countries), what are your thoughts on the proposed Texit, Calexit, Hawaiian Nation, Alaska Independence, and even the Quebecois Nationalist movement (the last one that @Edouard often mentions)? I bring these five up, because they are probably the North American separatist movements at this time with the most internal support, statistically (possibly also Cascadian Nationalism, as well).

17 hours ago, Patine said:

If I may ask, since you support Brexit (and certain other notable EU Exit campaigns in other EU countries), what are your thoughts on the proposed Texit, Calexit, Hawaiian Nation, Alaska Independence, and even the Quebecois Nationalist movement (the last one that @Edouard often mentions)? I bring these five up, because they are probably the North American separatist movements at this time with the most internal support, statistically (possibly also Cascadian Nationalism, as well).

My political tendencies lean towards more local control (and less in the hands of the federal government.  So, if a majority of people in those areas decide that they would like to leave, then I would be sympathetic to their wishes.  Keeping people in a union against their wishes is a good way to head down a path full of tension and mistrust.

On 9/11/2019 at 3:22 AM, Patine said:

EU situation with UK was different than Anglo Canada with Quebec in 80's 😕 

As French i'm not fond-off European union but at least they did not made any fake promises for winning the referendum, that's why they lost but still UK wants to be in the European custom's union or free-trade zone without being in the single market.

It only applies to overseas territories who are not parts of single market countries in Europe.

To reply

On 9/4/2019 at 9:44 PM, vcczar said:

• Great PM
  • Above Average
  • Average
  • Below Average  Charismatic leader but has made a huge gamble, lost his parliamentary majority as control of parliament. Wants to impose a No Deal while even his Scottish Wing is completely opposed.
  • Failed PM

• Cameron 3 (Cameron delivered quite a mandate before to lose on Brexit I recognize his economic result)
  • May 2 (May been overconfident on her deal's projections but she did not lose the control over parliament. However she did not delivered many changes).
  • Johnson 1 (Crushed party unity in 6 weeks and brought back Scottish nationalism at its top).

• Johnson
  • Corbyn (Labour leader) tough race between the two. A minority from both is likely but Libdems and SNP would probably back Corbyn.
  • A different Labour
  • A Liberal Democrat 

European Union is dead if Hard Brexiteers get what they want.

That's why even Cameron didn't get it to win his referendum in 2016.

@Patine there is a moment where independentists are at the top and it's a moment where a winning referendum becomes likeable

For Quebec it was 1992

Catalunya 2014-2017

Scotland is now :

IndependentScotland.png

1. Failed PM

2. Johnson

3. Corbyn

4. A Brexit deal does occur

1. Failed PM.  I don't think any British PM has lost their first 6 votes in 6 days, watched their majority disappear literally mid-speech, and had to prorogue Parliament to run out the clock on Brexit - and the courts may still overturn that decision.

2. Johnson.  For the same reasons I listed in #1.

3. I'm going to buck the trend and say a different Labour leader.  I think the largest obstacle to Labour winning outright may be Jeremy Corbyn himself.  I get the sense a lot of people in the UK are turned off by him personally for a number of reasons - his extreme left-wing views, the issue of anti-Semitism in the Labour party, his coziness with groups many in the UK consider to be terrorists, and his dithering on Brexit.  I've read a few comparisons between him and former Labour leader Michael Foot, and for the most part, I find them to be apt comparisons.  Not only did Corbyn get elected as MP in the same 1983 election that Michael Foot lost (and shares many of the same views), the opinion polls, even now, show the more centrist Lib Dems right on the heels of Labour, as they did with the SDP-Liberal Alliance back in 1983.  And I see Labour's relative success in 2017 as being mostly due to Theresa May's terrible campaigning than any other factor.  If the election happens as expected after October 31st, I think the main beneficiary will be Jo Swinson of the Lib Dems, as they seem right now to be doing a decent job of collecting anti-Brexit MPs and voters.

4. I'd guess right now a Brexit deal does occur.  I've read some MPs are having buyer's remorse that they didn't support the deal Theresa May was able to secure, and I think the EU is running out of patience with the delays.  I think the second most likely outcome may be that the UK just stays in the EU, either after another referendum or just by virtue of Article 50 being revoked.

• Great PM
  • Above Average
  • Average
  • Below Average
  • Failed PM

• Cameron
  • May
  • Johnson

• Johnson
  • Corbyn (Labour leader)
  • A different Labour
  • A Liberal Democrat 

1. N/A

It would be unfair to blame him for May's failure as leader before him (which setup the actions that took place after he took over).

2. May

3. Johnson (if he sticks to his guns on Brexit)

4. No Deal at a later date

Just now, jvikings1 said:

1. N/A

It would be unfair to blame him for May's failure as leader before him (which setup the actions that took place after he took over).

2. May

3. Johnson (if he sticks to his guns on Brexit)

4. No Deal at a later date

So you think Prime Minister shouldn't be ranked if they have to do damage control? Shouldn't a PM be ranked in how they handle a situation regardless of the mess they are given? 

In another note, how would you rank Johnson is he caves or resigns? 

On 9/26/2019 at 4:19 PM, vcczar said:

So you think Prime Minister shouldn't be ranked if they have to do damage control? Shouldn't a PM be ranked in how they handle a situation regardless of the mess they are given? 

In another note, how would you rank Johnson is he caves or resigns? 

If Johnson caves, then that's a negative reflection on him.  If he gives up, I'd also say that shows a weakness o  his part (which negatively impacts him).

The problem with judging Johnson on the Tories right now is that it would have happened to anyone.  The situation May left the party (and government) in was disastrous.  I don't think we can accurately judge Johnson right now because we haven't got to see what comes of the mess.  Once that happens, then we can accurately judge him based on the situation.