270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Hypothetical Convention Battle

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

You don’t actually need Bernie...it doesn’t have to be a 100% coronation.  You just have to pass 50%, and if you get both Buttigieg and Warren throwing their lot in with Biden, you win.

Bernie or Bust supporters aren’t going to be won over by ANYTHING short of Bernie being the President...that’s what the “bust” part means.  No sense wasting a Secretary slot trying.

I don't think these "Bernie or Bust" supporters are really "Bernie or Bust". Most of these people are just anti-establishment voters who are only supporting him for that reason. I wouldn't even call them Bernie supporters, to be honest, because they're not usually progressives. Most of them are Bernie or Trump voters. The actual progressives who support him would probably suck it up and vote for Warren if she's the nominee, but, I admit, voting for Buttigieg or Biden would be too much of a betrayal to our ideology.

Just now, Patine said:

Biden is the kind of candidate I think isn't nearly what he once was, or what his fans remember him for. I'm not sure he's a solid candidate, to be honest, despite being the only running in the whole Primary process who has actually, himself, contributed seriously to PEACE in the Middle East (as opposed to war, division, and exploitation of oil through blood and fire) by his major role in the Camp David Accords. Buttigieg is one of five main Democratic Primary candidates right now I do NOT trust at all, and have really vibes about, all for different reasons.

You know what I completely agree with your thoughts on Buttigieg. He screams snake to me. 

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Biden is the kind of candidate I think isn't nearly what he once was, or what his fans remember him for. I'm not sure he's a solid candidate, to be honest, despite being the only running in the whole Primary process who has actually, himself, contributed seriously to PEACE in the Middle East (as opposed to war, division, support of horrid, bloody-handed, human-rights-abusing tyrants while condemning other such tyrants and using their regimes as casus belli for wars, and exploitation of oil through blood and fire) by his major role in the Camp David Accords. 

"Opposed to war"? He voted for the invasion of Iraq...

1 minute ago, jnewt said:

"Opposed to war"? He voted for the invasion of Iraq...

Again, he's not the man that many remember him for...

And, since the Bush Administration and their Democratic cheerleader at the time in the Senate, Hillary Clinton, were lying through their teeth about every single aspect of intel of motivation for that war, I believe a few Senators (I don't know about Biden, himself, personally) were likely legitimately misled and deceived.

37 minutes ago, Patine said:

Biden is the kind of candidate I think isn't nearly what he once was, or what his fans remember him for. I'm not sure he's a solid candidate, to be honest, despite being the only running in the whole Primary process who has actually, himself, contributed seriously to PEACE in the Middle East (as opposed to war, division, support of horrid, bloody-handed, human-rights-abusing tyrants while condemning other such tyrants and using their regimes as casus belli for wars, and exploitation of oil through blood and fire) by his major role in the Camp David Accords. Buttigieg is one of five main Democratic Primary candidates right now I do NOT trust at all, and have really vibes about, all for different reasons.

I agree that Biden is not what he used to be, but if he ultimately proves himself to be our best bet against Trump, I’ll take him.

From anyone else, I’d be baffled by your comment about Buttigieg — but from you, I accept it as just Patine being Patine.

6 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

From anyone else, I’d be baffled by your comment about Buttigieg — but from you, I accept it as just Patine being Patine.

This is because you tend to have a view of politicians based on a "face value" and "common knowledge" point of view. Of course, this is definitely not a unique, or even necessarily, minority trait. I tend to dig below the surface, and I am more untrusting, reserved - perhaps even a bit cynical - as to what's on offer and what is claimed. You would practically need the late Fred Rogers to run for U.S. President for me not to have enough dirt to be very wary of them, ethically speaking.

2 hours ago, Patine said:

This is because you tend to have a view of politicians based on a "face value" and "common knowledge" point of view. Of course, this is definitely not a unique, or even necessarily, minority trait. I tend to dig below the surface, and I am more untrusting, reserved - perhaps even a bit cynical - as to what's on offer and what is claimed. You would practically need the late Fred Rogers to run for U.S. President for me not to have enough dirt to be very wary of them, ethically speaking.

Ok...except you singled him out, and then defended that by saying you just don’t trust anyone.

25 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Ok...except you singled him out, and then defended that by saying you just don’t trust anyone.

None of the others were being discussed at the time. It was a retort to wanting him as a VP candidate, not giving my own exhaustive opinion as to the question. By context of the conversation, singling him out was not out of line.