270soft Forum
Actinguy

Looking for a 1990s election game

Suddenly remembered an old election game I used to play in the 90s.  It had real world candidates up to Bush Sr and Clinton I think, but nobody after that.  It also had fictional candidates.

But you didn't just run for President.  You could run for City Council, Representative, Mayor, Senator, Governor...

You could even link your campaigns together so that you start by running for City Council, and then Mayor, and then Senator, Governor, President, etc.  

I do recall the game was kind of buggy and didn't run flawlessly in 2001 or so when I found it, so I wouldn't be surprised to learn it doesn't run at all on modern computers...

But does anyone remember it?

5 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Suddenly remembered an old election game I used to play in the 90s.  It had real world candidates up to Bush Sr and Clinton I think, but nobody after that.  It also had fictional candidates.

But you didn't just run for President.  You could run for City Council, Representative, Mayor, Senator, Governor...

You could even link your campaigns together so that you start by running for City Council, and then Mayor, and then Senator, Governor, President, etc.  

I do recall the game was kind of buggy and didn't run flawlessly in 2001 or so when I found it, so I wouldn't be surprised to learn it doesn't run at all on modern computers...

I’ve never heard of it. 

10 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Two games come to mind. The first was an old game rediscovered on this forum called "Election Day" which was made by Professor John Gastil. You could run for a variety of offices including city council, mayor, representative, governor, senator, president, etc. I'll attach a picture of gameplay. 

debate.PNG.0fede87f93cdaaa72d52a8f653c6222f.PNG

The second is "President Elect" and originally came out I think in the 70s and was remastered in the 80's or 90's. I don't think you can run for an office outside of President, though. 

2 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Two games come to mind. The first was an old game rediscovered on this forum called "Election Day" which was made by Professor John Gastil. You could run for a variety of offices including city council, mayor, representative, governor, senator, president, etc. I'll attach a picture of gameplay. 

debate.PNG.0fede87f93cdaaa72d52a8f653c6222f.PNG

The second is "President Elect" and originally came out I think in the 70s and was remastered in the 80's or 90's. I don't think you can run for an office outside of President, though. 

@Actinguy yeah he's thinking of Election Day and I have it on my PC. President-Elect is a fun game for historical US president elections, currently more.playable than PI

Just now, Reagan04 said:

@Actinguy yeah he's thinking of Election Day and I have it on my PC. President-Elect is a fun game for historical US president elections, currently more.playable than PI

Ha! I've been trying to find the link to that game again for ages. Is there any way you could host it on dropbox or email it? 

1 minute ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Ha! I've been trying to find the link to that game again for ages. Is there any way you could host it on dropbox or email it? 

YES!  That's exactly the one!  Election Day.

If you know where I can find it, that would be even more awesome.  

16 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I remember that game! I think you can download it here.

https://archive.org/details/Election_Day_Game

1 minute ago, pilight said:

Its also hosted on DOS Box .com. It's great on there.

20 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

I remember that game! I think you can download it here.

https://archive.org/details/Election_Day_Game

17 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Its also hosted on DOS Box .com. It's great on there.

Do either one of you know how to play the 2008 Dem Primary as someone other than Clinton?

On 8/30/2019 at 10:53 PM, pilight said:

Stumbled across President Elect on the Internet Archive a couple of years ago; and that's what got me curious over whether there was anything similar that was more recent; which is how I found out about this game.

As for the Election Day game, I may check that one out later but it sounds interesting.

13 minutes ago, HamptonRoadsTVFan said:

Stumbled across President Elect on the Internet Archive a couple of years ago; and that's what got me curious over whether there was anything similar that was more recent; which is how I found out about this game.

As for the Election Day game, I may check that one out later but it sounds interesting.

Election Day is definitely unique and I enjoy the different perspective it gives.  I feel like it's probably the closest you can come to running a real campaign in a computer simulation.

That said -- it is also buggy as hell.

Election Day, and if I remember, I was in contact with the creator of the game a few years ago, and I if I dig around enough in my computer, I believe I actually both have the game, and the source code for it.

50 minutes ago, HamptonRoadsTVFan said:

I played President Elect when it came out in the 80's.  I also found President Forever while looking for a more recent similar game.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:27 PM, Actinguy said:

That said -- it is also buggy as hell.

Well, it's not like they could patch over the Internet back then.