Jump to content
270soft Forum

Greenland  

24 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you support the US buying Greenland?

  2. 2. Do you support President Trump cancelling his trip to Denmark after their refusal to talk about selling Greenland?



Recommended Posts

Would be interesting to know, what you think about this issue in general? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems obviously a good idea for the U.S. the acquire Greenland from the U.S.'s perspective. It probably doesn't make sense for Greenlanders, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I support the purchase of Greenland only if Greenland prefers being in the US to being independent or being part of Denmark. 

I'm going to assume Greenlanders would be Democrats, and if Greenland got instant statehood, I wouldn't mind 2 more Dem Senators and more Dem voters. 

I think Trump's reaction to being rejected by Denmark was textbook Trump childishness. He's a spoiled princess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I support the purchase of Greenland only if Greenland prefers being in the US to being independent or being part of Denmark. 

I'm going to assume Greenlanders would be Democrats, and if Greenland got instant statehood, I wouldn't mind 2 more Dem Senators and more Dem voters. 

I think Trump's reaction to being rejected by Denmark was textbook Trump childishness. He's a spoiled princess. 

What if Greenland wants to be in the US but they end up actually voting for Trump because he brought them into the US and therefore they end up Republicans? Would you still support it in this instance? 

 

I mean I'd agree they'd probably be Democrats but still they might support Trump and or view him favorably. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SilentLiberty said:

What if Greenland wants to be in the US but they end up actually voting for Trump because he brought them into the US and therefore they end up Republicans? Would you still support it in this instance? 

 

I mean I'd agree they'd probably be Democrats but still they might support Trump and or view him favorably. 

Well, I wouldn't know that in advance would I? But, sure. I think any country should be allowed to join the US if they want to join. I'm not even remotely nativist. I also think that any non-evil person should be able to easily move to the US if they want to, even if they aren't a high skilled laborer, even if they aren't Christian, even if they aren't white, even if they don't speak English. Obviously, they'll have to adapt to succeed. If they don't, certainly their children and grandchildren will be as American as any other citizen. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Well, I wouldn't know that in advance would I? But, sure. I think any country should be allowed to join the US if they want to join. I'm not even remotely nativist. I also think that any non-evil person should be able to easily move to the US if they want to, even if they aren't a high skilled laborer, even if they aren't Christian, even if they aren't white, even if they don't speak English. Obviously, they'll have to adapt to succeed. If they don't, certainly their children and grandchildren will be as American as any other citizen. 

 

I think there would be some indication in this hypothetical. Fair enough all the same. I agree though with the pro immigration views.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say no for both simply because Greenland doesn't want this, and I wouldn't support forcibly purchasing them to become a part of the US. They'd become independent before they'd become a part of us. Cancelling the trip was petty and incredibly short-sighted, and I can't fathom voting yes for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

I say no for both simply because Greenland doesn't want this, and I wouldn't support forcibly purchasing them to become a part of the US. They'd become independent before they'd become a part of us. Cancelling the trip was petty and incredibly short-sighted, and I can't fathom voting yes for that.

I'd say that I'm in favor of Greenland joining the U.S. if they ever petitioned for it and made it clear it was their desire, so I voted yes in case those circumstances were to ever occur. 

Cancelling the trip was a big diplomatic blunder and quite frankly incredibly disrespectful. Trump continues to be an embarrassment to the American people and throws toddler level tantrums when things don't go his way. Per usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want Greenland to be in the US even if they want to be, I mean I'm for Puerto Rican independence just to give you an idea of where I am. We've got 50 states and 20 trillion in debt, we don't need a random territory with another overseas welfare grab, we already have a hunk of ice we use for strategic defense, its called Alaska, and at least that hunk of ice is conservative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Well, I wouldn't know that in advance would I? But, sure. I think any country should be allowed to join the US if they want to join.

Sounds great, I advocate Austria's joining of the US since years, but nobody listens here..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greenland very well may have natural resources that would make it worth the purchase, ignoring national security considerations. The U.S. probably would be better able to open up those resources than Denmark. Greenlanders would also almost certainly have improved opportunities for eco-tourism if they became part of the U.S.

The population of Greenland is very, very low. 56K. Alaska has around 15x the population, and Alaska is one of the smallest states population-wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To make the issue a bit less partisan, imagine if the Obama administration were proposing that Greenland join the U.S. Now run the question again to separate out opposition to Trump as opposed to opposition to the actual idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Would be interesting to know, what you think about this issue in general? 

Actually, Greenland would be much lore logically-suited to join Canada, by geographical proximity and the fact that the Canadian Federal Government (and the Nunavut Territorial Government) have quite a few employees trained and equipped to deal with Inuit language and cultural concerns. I can only really see the U.S. Government bringing ruthless resource exploitation and crappy labour laws, downgrading long-standing Greenlandic environmental protections, and building military bases - perhaps even setting up nuclear launch silos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a tough sell, though. Denmark although small is one of the most affluent countries in the world per capita, and pumps a lot of money into Greenland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Patine said:

Actually, Greenland would be much lore logically-suited to join Canada, by geographical proximity and the fact that the Canadian Federal Government

😍🥰😘 to all the Greenlanders from Canada!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

To make the issue a bit less partisan, imagine if the Obama administration were proposing that Greenland join the U.S. Now run the question again to separate out opposition to Trump as opposed to opposition to the actual idea.

My answer would be unchanged

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

To make the issue a bit less partisan, imagine if the Obama administration were proposing that Greenland join the U.S. Now run the question again to separate out opposition to Trump as opposed to opposition to the actual idea.

My answer would be unchanged as well. Greenlanders don't want it, therefore the data doesn't change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Sounds great, I advocate Austria's joining of the US since years, but nobody listens here..... 

What a horrid thing to wish for. It's probably for the best that the vast majority of Austrians wouldn't support you there. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now buying Hong Kong, or better yet trading Vermont for Hong Kong, that's a better deal! 😛😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reagan04 said:

Now buying Hong Kong, or better yet trading Vermont for Hong Kong, that's a better deal! 😛😛

I don't think Hong Kong would for that. Nor would Vermont.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't think Hong Kong would for that. Nor would Vermont.

I don't know, giving Hong Kong a choice between being annexed back into China or being the 51st state, I'm pretty sure they'd choose the latter. I must admit I was moved as I often am at the protesters waving Old Glory and singing the Star Spangled Banner, I'm always sympathetic towards the fight for liberty, especially if it's against communism, that's a two for one bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I don't know, giving Hong Kong a choice between being annexed back into China or being the 51st state, I'm pretty sure they'd choose the latter. I must admit I was moved as I often am at the protesters waving Old Glory and singing the Star Spangled Banner, I'm always sympathetic towards the fight for liberty, especially if it's against communism, that's a two for one bonus.

Would you support Cuba, Venezuela, North Korea, Laos, and China joining the US as the 51st through 55th states if they all joined at the same time and immediately; thus, reducing Communist governments to zero world wide? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Would you support Cuba, Venezuela, North Korea, Laos, and China joining the US as the 51st through 55th states if they all joined at the same time and immediately; thus, reducing Communist governments to zero world wide? 

Interesting question, but of course the answer would be no as these are all fully functioning nation-states that, while horridly oppressive and constitute among the worst nations on the planet, all have a degree of love for their different brands of communism and support for their government or hatred of America. Of course however, I've always been in favor of easy access to the US for refugees of Communism from these nations that support our capitalist form of republic and wish to join us here in the land of liberty and the nation of the free. 

Hong Kong on the other hand is a small city-state where most urge for freedom and an elite few contain them to Communism, while I support Hong Kong independence and a strong alliance with the US South Korea style, Id sooner see them the 51st state then subjected to Red China once again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I don't know, giving Hong Kong a choice between being annexed back into China or being the 51st state, I'm pretty sure they'd choose the latter. I must admit I was moved as I often am at the protesters waving Old Glory and singing the Star Spangled Banner, I'm always sympathetic towards the fight for liberty, especially if it's against communism, that's a two for one bonus.

 

28 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Would you support Cuba, Venezuela, North Korea, Laos, and China joining the US as the 51st through 55th states if they all joined at the same time and immediately; thus, reducing Communist governments to zero world wide? 

Ultimately, I see no good coming of Asian or Latin American countries being annexed directly by the United States, for either those countries themselves, or for the current 50 states. We would be talking about introducing the kind of cultural clashes by INTEGRATED HOMELEND, not immigration, that was ultimately the downfall of the Russian, Ottoman, and Austro-Hungarian Empires that would have inevitably brought them down from within even if WW1 had never happened. These nations just have economic, social, cultural, linguistic, and historical differences so sharp from American standards that they just could not be ironed out reasonably. The idea would be a doomed experiment from the start, and would lead to a massive collapse that likely would not even leave the original 50 states intact afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...