270soft Forum
Reagan04

Gillibrand is Gone

51 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

They're dying in the sense that the Republican Party is not what it was pre-Obama.  It was eaten from the inside by the tea party, brought about by Sarah Palin (and, therefore, by John McCain).  Trump is the result of that.

The new Republican Party may be stronger than the old party was, at least for now, in terms of voter support.  That's frightening in itself to me, as somebody who actually used to like a lot about the GOP until Palin, Trump, and others hijacked it.  But the election results are strong, suggesting this new GOP may be around for the forseeable future, even if it seemingly has no connection to what came before.

The issue really is that the new GOP is actually extremely happy to have you no longer associated with it. They no longer embrace the ideals of John McCain, in fact they like to parrot around that Trump taught them how to win. Where McCain and Romney would apologize for even the smallest things, Trump just keeps on trumping. It's not that Palin, Trump and others hijacked it, the voter base got sick of losing and treated like ass. Republican presidents are hardly ever adored by the media, and even when W was 'adored' they still made fun of him, ridiculed him, and generally made it seem like America=bad. There is a lot of people responsible for Trump and the way the GOP is today, but I do not think it's because it was 'hijacked' by Trump, Palin, Bachmann, Walsh and so on. 

4 hours ago, Actinguy said:

They're dying in the sense that the Republican Party is not what it was pre-Obama.  It was eaten from the inside by the tea party, brought about by Sarah Palin (and, therefore, by John McCain).  Trump is the result of that.

The new Republican Party may be stronger than the old party was, at least for now, in terms of voter support.  That's frightening in itself to me, as somebody who actually used to like a lot about the GOP until Palin, Trump, and others hijacked it.  But the election results are strong, suggesting this new GOP may be around for the forseeable future, even if it seemingly has no connection to what came before.

Vapid, vitriolic populism and ideological bankruptcy are only ever very-short-term bases for building a political party or coalition upon, judging from history. Either they collapse entirely, usually when the specific context or leader that propped them up is no longer a pressing issue, or they illegally upend their national constitution and take dictatorial power, like Mussolini and Hitler did.

It's a shame Gillibrand dropped out already and didn't catch on at all, I thought she was a great candidate with an important message and solid policies. I do think sexism played a role in her failure to catch on, like how she was asked everyday about Al Franken, blaming her for his demise. 

I would love to see her as VP to Bernie if he gets the nom, but I don't see that happening because it doesn't really help get any gains in the electoral college