270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pilight

GA Senator Isakson to retire

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/28/politics/johnny-isakson-retire/index.html

The state will have two Senate seats on the ballot. Republican Gov. Brian Kemp will appoint a replacement for Isakson until a special election held in November 2020 will determine who will fill the remainder of his term -- the same time Republican Sen. David Perdue is up for reelection. Isakson's seat will be up for a full, six-year term in 2022.

4 hours ago, pilight said:

I think it is fair to say Georgia will be a swing state given the amount of attention that both parties will likely give.

5 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

I think it is fair to say Georgia will be a swing state given the amount of attention that both parties will likely give.

As I recall, Isakson was a Republican Primary candidate in a hypothetical 2016 scenario I made for P4E2008 back before the 2008 Presidential Election had even concluded. However, like all 2016 hypothetical scenarios made at that time, and even pretty much all 2012 hypothetical scenarios, it was WAY off base compared to what really happened. For instance, NO ONE, including me, had Sanders or Trump as candidate options, not even minor ones and/or off-by-default ones.

Isakson was clearly not going to run for president in 2016.  There was considerable speculation he would retire then rather than running for another term due to his fading health.  Pretty much everybody here in GA believed this was his last term.

9 minutes ago, pilight said:

Isakson was clearly not going to run for president in 2016.  There was considerable speculation he would retire then rather than running for another term due to his fading health.  Pretty much everybody here in GA believed this was his last term.

I didn't know that in early 2008, and nor did the several people on these forums (most of whom haven't posted for years) who suggested I include him in that scenario.

7 hours ago, Jayavarman said:

Stacey Abrams should run for one of the Senate seats.

She's already said she wouldn't oppose Perdue for the other one

On 9/5/2019 at 8:26 AM, pilight said:

She's already said she wouldn't oppose Perdue for the other one

Stacey Abrams should change her mind.