270soft Forum
Conservative Elector 2

Chafee thinking about Libertarian bid

2 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Left-wing libertarianism is so soft

It's preferable to a lot of other ideologies on the left side of the spectrum.

7 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

This would be bad for Democrats, because Chafee is more liberal than Johnson was. That said, he'd likely perform worse than Johnson. Chafee was once a Republican, Independent, and Democrat. I think he's kind of alienated anyone identifying with a party. 

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Left-wing libertarianism is so soft

The Libertarian Party now resembles the old major parties and the old Reform party than it used to. As you know, both of the old major parties had distinct liberal and conservative wings. The major parties now are more ideologically homogeneous, relatively speaking. If the Libertarian Party wants to grow, it sort of has to increase its umbrella from the Ron Paul purity wing of the party. Democrats had to do this following the Civil War when the party was nearly destroyed. It's also one reason the Federalist Party failed, because it wouldn't budge from its principles.  The Libertarian Party also resembles the Reform Party in that one year it could nominate Pat Buchanan and another year nominate Ralph Nader. 

There was a recent study a few days ago about the major parties. Much more Republicans identify as conservatives, and only about half or less of Democrats actually identify as liberal. This is one reason why Biden is doing so well. This is potentially good news for Democrats because the umbrella is narrowed almost exclusively on one school of thought. Republicans have probably becomes more restrictive since Trump. However, the study showed that on the issues, Republicans, regardless of professed ideology, thought about the same on the issues, and Democrats, regardless of professed ideology, thought about the same on the issues. 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

This would be bad for Democrats, because Chafee is more liberal than Johnson was. That said, he'd likely perform worse than Johnson. Chafee was once a Republican, Independent, and Democrat. I think he's kind of alienated anyone identifying with a party. 

He also gave what is probably one of the objectively weakest answers in presidential debate history.

7 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

He also gave what is probably one of the objectively weakest answers in presidential debate history.

He looks like he should be a tour guide that dresses up like a Pilgrim and wears the hat with a buckle on it. 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

He looks like he should be a tour guide that dresses up like a Pilgrim and wears the hat with a buckle on it. 

You probably watched this live as I did. But do you remember when his answer to why he voted for repealing Glass Steagall was "My Dad just died, I had just arrived to Senate"

"Are you saying you didn't know what you voted for"

"I think you're being harsh, I was new to the Senate, my Dad died, the Governor had appointed me, cut me some slack"

Oh I remember thatlol

7 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

You probably watched this live as I did. But do you remember when his answer to why he voted for repealing Glass Steagall was "My Dad just died, I had just arrived to Senate"

"I think you're being harsh, I was new to the Senate, my Dad died, the Governor had appointed me, cut me some slack"

Oh yes.I laughed hard at this.I didnt know what i voted for is a dumbest thing a politician could say.

22 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I had forgotten it but now I remember it. Yeah, that was a strange response. 

2 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

2 hours ago, Rodja said:

Oh yes.I laughed hard at this.I didnt know what i voted for is a dumbest thing a politician could say.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

I had forgotten it but now I remember it. Yeah, that was a strange response. 

There are dumber things politicians have said, like denying the blatantly obvious or lying in such overt, in-your-face, insulting to the intelligence way and, in both cases, expect to be taken serious and given full credence and respect as though for their statement. This one is becoming more and more common.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

Johnson had a difficult time trying to get the Libertarian nomination-because he was seen as too big government. And many Libertarians nominated him, solely on the reason Johnson could break the 5% threshold. I doubt someone like Chafee can win the nomination..

1 hour ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Johnson had a difficult time trying to get the Libertarian nomination-because he was seen as too big government. And many Libertarians nominated him, solely on the reason Johnson could break the 5% threshold. I doubt someone like Chafee can win the nomination..

There really isn’t any other national figure vying for their nomination. They’re going to get 1% with anyone else. Chaffee will get them 2%. Amash might be their best bet. 

Green Party is going to have a harder time getting over 1%. They have no candidate with a semblance of name recognition. Ventura might get 2% or more. 

Chafee is just kind of a strange guy. I actually voted for him for Governor in 2010 when he was an Independent (the D candidate was pretty conservative and was tanking in the polls anyway), but I don't know what put the thought into his head that it was a good idea to run for President.

On 8/24/2019 at 12:26 PM, vcczar said:

The Libertarian Party now resembles the old major parties and the old Reform party than it used to. As you know, both of the old major parties had distinct liberal and conservative wings. The major parties now are more ideologically homogeneous, relatively speaking. If the Libertarian Party wants to grow, it sort of has to increase its umbrella from the Ron Paul purity wing of the party. Democrats had to do this following the Civil War when the party was nearly destroyed. It's also one reason the Federalist Party failed, because it wouldn't budge from its principles.  The Libertarian Party also resembles the Reform Party in that one year it could nominate Pat Buchanan and another year nominate Ralph Nader. 

I disagree.  The Libertarian Party has attempted to appeal more and more to more moderate and left-leaning individuals rather than conservatives.  If they would have put up a candidate that conservatives could've voted for in 2016, I think they would have done a lot better.  However, the direction the party has moved has created a dumpster-fire.  Gary Johnson/ Bill Weld had the problem of having even their libertarian credentials questions which forced many libertarians away from the ticket.

1 hour ago, jvikings1 said:

I disagree.  The Libertarian Party has attempted to appeal more and more to more moderate and left-leaning individuals rather than conservatives.  If they would have put up a candidate that conservatives could've voted for in 2016, I think they would have done a lot better.  However, the direction the party has moved has created a dumpster-fire.  Gary Johnson/ Bill Weld had the problem of having even their libertarian credentials questions which forced many libertarians away from the ticket.

I'd be so goddamned happy if Amash is the Libertarian nominee because then I wouldn't feel obligated to vote for Biden.

On 8/27/2019 at 5:37 PM, Reagan04 said:

I'd be so goddamned happy if Amash is the Libertarian nominee because then I wouldn't feel obligated to vote for Biden.

I think a smart political move for Amash would be to try and win that House seat.  He'd actually have a chance to win re-election (with no shot in the Presidential election).  Though, he might be able to lift the boats of other Libertarians (though that might not be the greatest thing considering their crappy candidates).  It would be interesting to see if he could pick off support from both sides as well.