270soft Forum
vcczar

A good quote from Tom Perez's parents

"In order to get to heaven, you have to have letters of reference from poor people."

It's a very Catholic statement (doctrine of good works), and it might not be theologically true (many Christianities believe faith is all you need, so Hitler, if he believed in the last second of life, could have gone to Heaven). However, I like this quote even from a secular sense. In order to be a good public servant, you have to have letters of reference from poor people. I think its also the way to be a good American and, obviously, the way to be a good person. 

Ya, my view is faith and works are two sides of the same coin.

If someone didn't have faith (understood as a deep, trusting relationship with God) for almost all their life and suddenly had a change in the core of their being at the last moment before dying, then that would be an exception, but for most, the two will go together.

25 minutes ago, vcczar said:

"In order to get to heaven, you have to have letters of reference from poor people."

It's a very Catholic statement (doctrine of good works), and it might not be theologically true (many Christianities believe faith is all you need, so Hitler, if he believed in the last second of life, could have gone to Heaven). However, I like this quote even from a secular sense. In order to be a good public servant, you have to have letters of reference from poor people. I think its also the way to be a good American and, obviously, the way to be a good person. 

2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Ya, my view is faith and works are two sides of the same coin.

If someone didn't have faith (understood as a deep, trusting relationship with God) for almost all their life and suddenly had a change in the core of their being at the last moment before dying, then that would be an exception, but for most, the two will go together.

"Faith without good works is dead," Jesus Christ.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

"Faith without good works is dead," Jesus Christ.

Yes, exactly, but I think you meant St. James said that.

Just now, admin_270 said:

Yes, exactly, but I think you meant St. James said that.

Perhaps. Either way, it's still a blow against John Calvin's beliefs, where faith and being baptised into a "reformed" Church make you one of the "Elect" and thus guaranteed salvation as long as you don't commit an "unforgivable sin" (although in the actual New Testament doctrine, only "Blaspheming the Holy Spirit," a sin so oblique Christians theology are not even sure exactly what it means or if it's even commitable under normal circumstances, many hard Calvinists seem to lump homosexuality, witchcraft, bestiality, heresy, blasphemy, and even, especially nowadays, performing, or being the willing recipient of, an abortion, even though these acts, and though no others than  "Blaspheming the Holy Spirit," are stated under such a light in scripture, and nor is otherwise guaranteed salvation to an "Elect." However, the "Elect" beliefs tend to make many Calvinists and Calvinist groups very pitiless, unsympathetic, and even cruel to those less fortunate, and, in complete violation of the tenor of Christ's Ministry, very Capitalistic and driven by, and praising of, avarice and material gain.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Either way, it's still a blow against John Calvin's beliefs

Not going to get much argument from me about Calvinism.