270soft Forum
Actinguy

Debate details announced

ABC has announced details for the September debates.  Most significantly, they say they will have one debate if 10 or fewer candidates qualify — and two debates if more than 10 candidates qualify.

Currently, 10 candidates appear to have qualified.  Steyer is closest to being the 11th...he’s just one 2% poll away.  If he (and/or anyone else) makes it, we’ll have two debates.  

I hope that’s the case.  I think there’s far more value in two 5-6 person debates than in one 10 person debate.

ABC also announced that if there are two debates, candidates will be assigned to one via random drawing on Aug 29.

5 hours ago, Actinguy said:

I think there’s far more value in two 5-6 person debates than in one 10 person debate.

Agree.

5 hours ago, Actinguy said:

ABC also announced that if there are two debates, candidates will be assigned to one via random drawing on Aug 29.

If there were an upper-tier debate, it would be something like (according to RealClearPolitics polling averages as of now) 

Biden, Sanders, Warren, Harris, Buttigieg

Then lower-tier

O'Rourke, Booker, Yang, Castro, Klobuchar, Steyer

If the debate slots are actually going to be random, the chances of Biden, Bernie, and Warren all being in the same debate is 25%. The chance of those 3 and Harris is 12.5%. The chance of those 4 and Buttigieg is 6.25%. So it could happen.

4 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Agree.

If there were an upper-tier debate, it would be something like (according to RealClearPolitics polling averages as of now) 

Biden, Sanders, Warren, Harris, Buttigieg

Then lower-tier

O'Rourke, Booker, Yang, Castro, Klobuchar, Steyer

I'd like to see Biden, Warren, Buttigieg, O'Rourke, Booker, Yang

and

Sanders, Harris, Klobuchar, Castro, Steyer

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

I'd like to see Biden, Warren, Buttigieg, O'Rourke, Booker, Yang

and

Sanders, Harris, Klobuchar, Castro, Steyer

My ideal split would be: 

Biden, Warren, Sanders, Booker, Castro, Buttigieg (Biden beside the two progressives and three male minorities who can call Biden out on his record)

Harris, Klobuchar, O'Rourke, Steyer, Yang (this is just everyone else)

3 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Biden, Warren, Sanders, Booker, Castro, Buttigieg (Biden beside the two progressives and three male minorities who can call Biden out on his record

You just want to be mean to grandpa Joe 😭

8 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

You just want to be mean to grandpa Joe 😭

You are absolutely correct. Despite being generally viewed as the strongest candidate for the Democrats to defeat Trump, I feel as though he'd blow it against Trump. 

2 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

You are absolutely correct. Despite being generally viewed as the strongest candidate for the Democrats to defeat Trump, I feel as though he'd blow it against Trump. 

This is how Trump supporters really feel too, it's like they want to go up against Biden more than anybody else.

1 hour ago, SilentLiberty said:

This is how Trump supporters really feel too, it's like they want to go up against Biden more than anybody else.

He just cracks so easily under pressure and gaffes constantly. Trump is not a joke of an opponent. You need to be strong willed and willing to tell him he's wrong in plain language without stuttering and going over it again and again and again and then finally getting it wrong anyway.

2 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Trump is not a joke of an opponent.

The fact that this can be said in a serious, political context shows just how far and how low the social zeitgeist and the standards and viewpoints of the U.S. electorate have fallen. We live in very SAD times...

15 hours ago, Actinguy said:

ABC has announced details for the September debates.  Most significantly, they say they will have one debate if 10 or fewer candidates qualify — and two debates if more than 10 candidates qualify.

Currently, 10 candidates appear to have qualified.  Steyer is closest to being the 11th...he’s just one 2% poll away.  If he (and/or anyone else) makes it, we’ll have two debates.  

I hope that’s the case.  I think there’s far more value in two 5-6 person debates than in one 10 person debate.

This might be a random question; but CNN didn't stream the debate on YouTube(oddly), did ABC announce how you can watch the debate(s)?