270soft Forum
vcczar

Inslee Out; Walsh In

Mark Sanford might also join the race. Don't think four wrongs can make a right though.

7 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Mark Sanford might also join the race. Don't think four wrongs can make a right though.

I keep hoping one anti-Trump Republicans pops up in every state and runs as a favorite son. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I keep hoping one anti-Trump Republicans pops up in every state and runs as a favorite son. 

That's what the Republicans should do if they want to save their party from political demise and "party suicide" in the long-term.

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Sure. 

The Republican I'd really like to see run would be Mattis, but I don't think that will happen. The Republicans I think could actually maybe maybe beat Trump who maybe maybe might run are Kasich and Romney, and I think there is a higher chance Mattis runs than either of them. That being said Kasich has a plan to visit New Hampshire soon.

Just now, Patine said:

That's what the Republicans should do if they want to save their party from political demise and "party suicide" in the long-term.

The people who support Trump have as strong of an opinion about the future of the party but on the exact opposite side of the spectrum. Embracing Trump and MAGA to them is the key to making the time magazine cover with Trump 2020-Trump 2050 and beyond, a reality.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

1 minute ago, SilentLiberty said:

Sure. 

The Republican I'd really like to see run would be Mattis, but I don't think that will happen. The Republicans I think could actually maybe maybe beat Trump who maybe maybe might run are Kasich and Romney, and I think there is a higher chance Mattis runs than either of them. That being said Kasich has a plan to visit New Hampshire soon.

Never thought of Mattis running. It would be funny if all the people Trump fired -- Mattis, Comey, Tillerson, etc. all ran 

1 minute ago, SilentLiberty said:

The Republican I'd really like to see run would be Mattis, but I don't think that will happen.

The man who should have been court-martialed for negligent fratricide in the event of leaving those troops in Afghanistan to die on his watch and by his orders of inaction, rather than get a promotion (however erstwhile) to Secretary of Defense?

Just now, vcczar said:

Never thought of Mattis running. It would be funny if all the people Trump fired -- Mattis, Comey, Tillerson, etc. all ran 

Mattis-Haley would be a nice team for the Republicans, not just to out Trump but still be a viable option to win in the general, perhaps more than Trump is slated as currently.

Comey might actually do something and I think Tillerson got screwed over bad.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

The man who should have been court-martialed for negligent fratricide in the event of leaving those troops in Afghanistan to die on his watch and by his orders of inaction, rather than get a promotion (however erstwhile) to Secretary of Defense?

Yeah, people are imperfect. Options are very unfortunately limited which you know very well. The person I wanted to be President this cycle has already dropped out and is now preparing to run for Senate, so you know, that's life. 

2 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

The people who support Trump have as strong of an opinion about the future of the party but on the exact opposite side of the spectrum. Embracing Trump and MAGA to them is the key to making the time magazine cover with Trump 2020-Trump 2050 and beyond, a reality.

But, what I'm saying, is the kind of policy and ideology embraced for short-term gain, but that often, in the broad scope of political study (not just in the United States), easily leads to the death of parties, even long-standing edifice and political pillar parties, in the long-term. It won't be long before it becomes apparent that Trump's style of leadership and platform (what little consistent and solid platform he actually has) is INCAPABLE, by nature, of EVER fulfilling the promise of "Making America Great Again."

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

But, what I'm saying, is the kind of policy and ideology embraced for short-term gain, but that often, in the broad scope of political study (not just in the United States), easily leads to the death of parties, even long-standing edifice and political pillar parties, in the long-term. It won't be long before it becomes apparent that Trump's style of leadership and platform (what little consistent and solid platform he actually has) is INCAPABLE, by nature, of EVER fulfilling the promise of "Making America Great Again."

I agree. If the Republican wanted to show who they really are capable of being from a policy and ideology standpoint they would run people like Mike Lee, Ben Sasse, Jon Huntsman, and Larry Hogan. Instead no one is running except for other arguable radicals who otherwise would never even have a chance. Even Trump views the current corp of Republicans and potential Republicans(Walsh, Weld, Sanford, Flake, Kasich) as being below even getting a ridiculing nickname.

Edit: Kasich is not a radical, but he is included in that group of being seen as 'weak' by Trump and co.

Edited by SilentLiberty
added content.

Inslee was a great candidate thanks to whom we get to see climate change focused debates on CNN on September 4th,i think.He was in my top 5.As for Amash i dont know much about the guy,but there arent any high profile moderate Republicans who can seriously challenge Trump for the nomination in the running.Sanford,Weld and Amash are no serious candidates.

The last time Walsh was on a ballot he lost handily in his home district despite an almost 2:1 spending edge.  He's not a serious challenger.

I had to google who Joe Walsh is.

Weld at least had a recent nomination as Vice-Presidential nominee for the Libertarian party, and was a former governor. Walsh is a one-term former Representative and now radio host.

1 minute ago, pilight said:

The last time Walsh was on a ballot he lost handily in his home district despite an almost 2:1 spending edge.  He's not a serious challenger.

I don't think anyone is arguing that he really is. Weld isn't either. I'm just hoping enough of these people keep popping up to run against Trump as a moral protest just to make Trump seem like he's losing control. If one new GOP challenger jumped into the race every month it might have some sort of collective effect on some voters. 

Despite Walsh having lost in his last election, he might be more favorable to some GOP and independents than Trump is. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

Despite Walsh having lost in his last election, he might be more favorable to some GOP and independents than Trump is.

I don't know much about Walsh, but my understanding is he would run to the right of Trump. If that's true, it doesn't seem like he would be targeting independents.

7 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I don't know much about Walsh, but my understanding is he would run to the right of Trump. If that's true, it doesn't seem like he would be targeting independents.

If he does run right of Trump (I could see him go either way), then he might attract Free Trade conservatives opposed to tariffs or Foreign Policy conservatives opposed to Trump's seemingly close relations to Russia and North Korea or Social conservatives opposed to Trump's behavior.  I also think Trump fatigue must be a real think in the GOP. Novelty wears off and then becomes annoying. Trump's kind of wacked the traditional spectrum. 

I think Weld (more Liberal) or Walsh (possibly more conservative) would likely win whatever votes they'll get for the reasons above. 

There was an interesting article out recently that showed that older Evangelicals really like Trump, but young Evangelicals (like @Reagan04 ) don't like Trump nearly as much. I think the article was called Could Trump Lose Young Evangelicals or something like that. 

13 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I also think Trump fatigue must be a real think in the GOP. Novelty wears off and then becomes annoying.

My impression is that Republicans by and large are enthusiastic about Trump. See the recent rallies, fundraising numbers (RNC $117M in 2019 compared to DNC $50M  https://ballotpedia.org/Party_committee_fundraising,_2019-2020 ), or Republican approval ratings (latest Gallup to August 14th has Republican approval of Trump at 88%, which is where it's been basically all of this year and indeed back to the start of his Presidency https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/presidential-approval-ratings-donald-trump.aspx ).

I think the tl;dr for that article is 

Trump is less popular among young white evangelicals than he is among older white evangelicals, and this mirrors trends in general re age for the electorate.

24 minutes ago, vcczar said:

There was an interesting article out recently that showed that older Evangelicals really like Trump, but young Evangelicals (like @Reagan04 ) don't like Trump nearly as much. I think the article was called Could Trump Lose Young Evangelicals or something like that. 

I read the same article and when I saw the title I kinda said under my breath "Hell yes he could". Good read. 

12 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

That's the one.