Jump to content
270soft Forum
Sunnymentoaddict

Governor Jay Inslee drops out of the Presidential Primary.

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee, who made climate change his central issue, drops out of Democratic presidential race for 2020
https://wapo.st/2L178K8

I liked him as a candidate but I’m glad he dropped out. Anyone not getting 2% after two debates should drop out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a little bit surprising to me. I keep seeing ads for him saying that he's close to the donor threshold so I would have thought he'd at least wait until after the debate to drop out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jnewt said:

This is a little bit surprising to me. I keep seeing ads for him saying that he's close to the donor threshold so I would have thought he'd at least wait until after the debate to drop out.

I believe the polling/donor threshold for the September debate was next week, and I bet that played a role into him dropping out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

With Hickenlooper and Inslee withdrawing from the Democratic nomination race, there's only 1 Governor left - Bullock.

And I thought Inslee's campaign worked better than Bullock's....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jnewt said:

This is a little bit surprising to me. I keep seeing ads for him saying that he's close to the donor threshold so I would have thought he'd at least wait until after the debate to drop out.

Can’t do it on donors alone anymore.  This next round of debates required the donors AND 2% support in four polls.  Inslee was consistently a 0%-1% candidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

And I thought Inslee's campaign worked better than Bullock's....

Bullock hasn’t qualified for the debates yet and likely won’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Bullock hasn’t qualified for the debates yet and likely won’t.

That's what I am talking about. Inslee managed the donor threshold. Bullock did not even get them by now, as far as I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's disappointing because Inslee was the only candidate on stage who isn't obviously pandering. He has actual, proven results in Washington and he's doing great things with the state. 

It sucks that he has like zero charisma, like at all. Some girl in my public policy class today said he sounded angry whenever he spoke, but she also is a massive Bernie supporter so I'm not sure why that's an issue for her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, admin_270 said:

With Hickenlooper and Inslee withdrawing from the Democratic nomination race, there's only 1 Governor left - Bullock.

It's odd because governors were once considered the strongest candidates for the office. Executive experience and Washington outsiders. From about TR through GW Bush, you have governors doing remarkably well in presidential elections. Since Obama, Senators have been performing better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

It's disappointing because Inslee was the only candidate on stage who isn't obviously pandering. He has actual, proven results in Washington and he's doing great things with the state. 

It sucks that he has like zero charisma, like at all. Some girl in my public policy class today said he sounded angry whenever he spoke, but she also is a massive Bernie supporter so I'm not sure why that's an issue for her. 

I don't think Inslee sounds angry. Sanders definitely sounds angry as does Trump. Inslee sounds neutral to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Can’t do it on donors alone anymore.  This next round of debates required the donors AND 2% support in four polls.  Inslee was consistently a 0%-1% candidate.

I know. It just seems surprising to me that he was still funneling money into facebook ads for donors as recently as two days ago. If he was about to drop out, it doesn't make sense to me that he'd be trying so hard for donors and not at least wait to see if he miraculously got 4 polls at 2%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, jnewt said:

It just seems surprising to me that he was still funneling money into facebook ads for donors as recently as two days ago

Ya, why not wait 1 week?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Good.

It'll probably end up being a geriatric GE, by the looks of it - Trump vs. Biden, Sanders, or Warren.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patine said:

It'll probably end up being a geriatric GE, by the looks of it - Trump vs. Biden, Sanders, or Warren.

I'm hoping Buttigieg if Gabbard can't make it (and she won't), Buttigieg would be a nice challenger to the President, and honestly stands the best chance of winning imo (wouldn't vote for him though).

If not him, then I agree. Yawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Yawn.

Yes, probably another cheated and wasted election cycle where nothing positive will come of it, and no real good ideas will truly emerge, and the winner will end up being a disappointment regardless of which party actually wins - like 1996, 2004, and 2016 were. The American political culture and electoral system truly deserve their ranking as one of the five WORST in the First World, alongside Japan, Singapore, Hungary, and Portugal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Patine said:

Yes, probably another cheated and wasted election cycle where nothing positive will come of it, and no real good ideas will truly emerge, and the winner will end up being a disappointment regardless of which party actually wins - like 1996, 2004, and 2016 were. The American political culture and electoral system truly deserve their ranking as one of the five WORST in the First World, alongside Japan, Singapore, Hungary, and Portugal.

I think there will be good ideas presented regardless of who the nominee is by both sides - the carrying of them to fruition is what won't happen. The US electoral system isn't bad because of its structure, it's bad from a lack of participation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I think there will be good ideas presented regardless of who the nominee is by both sides - the carrying of them to fruition is what won't happen. The US electoral system isn't bad because of its structure, it's bad from a lack of participation.

No, it structure sucks too. Switzerland, and it's mixture of a decentralized head-of-state with regional representation (not a single President or other figure), a strong federal division between national and regional governance and strong Enlightenment-era rights respect, participatory government to allow citizens binding power of initiative and to veto unpopular bills and recall unpopular politicians through referendum processes BETWEEN elections, a period most nations' common voter populations have no legal gainsay over their elected officials during, a functional multi-party system with a good ideological spread, a strictly defensive military doctrine with a state-of-the-art, highly-trained defensive military, where every service is guaranteed, by government contract with them and Constitutional article, that they never be deployed to other nations or have to die abroad serving the Swiss military, except in rare corner cases, like defending against on dignitaries traveling abroad while providing security, is as close to an ideal form of government as currently exists for a sovereign nation today, in my opinion. Also, despite being completely surrounded by EU nations (except Lichtenstein, to the east), Switzerland never joined the EU, and still uses it's own currency (which Lichtenstein also uses), the Swiss Franc, with a respectable value in the top 10 tradable currencies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...