270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ThePotatoWalrus

Who are you?

I'd like to get to know some of the forum members here a little better. I know very little about any of you.

What are your goals? What drives you? Are you happy? Do you have a dog? What was your childhood like? What are your favorite movies? Can you juggle? What interesting stuff has happened recently? That sort of stuff, anything.

I'd be curious if anyone here could juggle, seems a unique trait.

24 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I'd be curious if anyone here could juggle, seems a unique trait.

Not I, said the cat.

32 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I'd like to get to know some of the forum members here a little better. I know very little about any of you.

What are your goals? What drives you? Are you happy? Do you have a dog? What was your childhood like? What are your favorite movies? Can you juggle? What interesting stuff has happened recently? That sort of stuff, anything.

I have and love my dog very much. I also have a tattoo of her paw and name on me.

45 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

i dont understand first two questions completely so if you could clarify them a bit.I would say so,but there were recently times in my life when i was not.Yes, schnauzer and i like him more than i do most people.Forrest Gump,American Beauty,Green Book,Star Wars original series,Top Gun.My favorite Tv show is House of Cards.

20 minutes ago, Harris/Ernst 2020 said:

Not I, said the cat.

I have and love my dog very much. I also have a tattoo of her paw and name on me.

I want to get a portrait tattoo of one of my dogs. What breed is yours? Mine are beagles. 

The only tattoo I currently have is a star wars tattoo however.

8 minutes ago, Rodja said:

i dont understand first two questions completely so if you could clarify them a bit.I would say so,but there were recently times in my life when i was not.Yes, schnauzer and i like him more than i do most people.Forrest Gump,American Beauty,Green Book,Star Wars original series,Top Gun.My favorite Tv show is House of Cards.

Favorite Star Wars movie if you had to pick one just one?

1 hour ago, SilentLiberty said:

A New Hope,the first one and best one.I had a tough time deciding between it and The Empire Strikes Back.I hated prequels,but i love sequels

41 minutes ago, Jayavarman said:

My goal is to play a President Infinity updated every month with additional content and features.

PI is my favorite game too.I am very disappointed that they decided not to move forward with leading the country game because it is my dream gane.I played the GPS series but it is too buggy and just misses something for me.

3 hours ago, Harris/Ernst 2020 said:

Not I, said the cat.

2 hours ago, SilentLiberty said:

I want to get a portrait tattoo of one of my dogs. What breed is yours? Mine are beagles. 

Tattoos, as well as piercings and more extreme things like brands and self-made scars already struck me as things hooligans wore. Thus I never did. Also, I never got along with dogs - I must have had some primal early life spook, as I always felt nervous around even the friendliest - and, though I grew up with cats from the age of 12 till I moved out from home, I live in a bachelor suite and cannot have pets, anyways.

1 hour ago, Rodja said:

A New Hope,the first one and best one.I had a tough time deciding between it and The Empire Strikes Back.I hated prequels,but i love sequels

See,  I'm the opposite. I'm part of the crowd who've re-evaluated the prequels, and their much overlooked storyline, and how it was very relevant to what was going on in the world when it was made, and, in a different, somewhat today - in cinematic metaphor. However, I cannot stand any movie or product made by Disney on the subject - in my opinion, they're not worthy of the "Star Wars" label. I own the pre-Blue Ray releases of Episodes 1-6 and the Special Edition theatrical releases of the original Trilogy as of 1977, 1980, and 1983, and the remastered versions before the official pre-Blue Ray releases of the Trilogy, and bootleg copies of the made-for-TV movies the "Star Wars Holiday Special" (1978) and two live action Ewoks movies (mid-80's), as well as every episode of the "Droids" Saturday morning cartoon series (also mid-80's) - I have, as of yet, been unable to acquire the "Ewoks" Saturday morning cartoon series that ran coterminously (in fact, their episodes were broadcast back-to-back of each other, in the day), but I would like to. As far as I'm concerned, that is THE exhaustive "Star Wars" opus - in least in terms of broadcast productions. I will own, watch, or really personally acknowledge NOTIHNG else!

13 minutes ago, Patine said:

See,  I'm the opposite. I'm part of the crowd who've re-evaluated the prequels, and their much overlooked storyline, and how it was very relevant to what was going on in the world when it was made, and, in a different, somewhat today - in cinematic metaphor. However, I cannot stand any movie or product made by Disney on the subject

Holy shit, did I just agree with Patine, we need to do more of these pop culture threads for moments like these

6 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I’m 36, married, have a six year old daughter, and work in public relations.  I’m also an Iraq War Veteran, though I was never in direct combat — just on the receiving end of a lot of indirect mortar attacks, which I thankfully was able to escape unharmed.  What drives me is creating a life long bond with my kid, and making sure the mortgage gets paid.

I actually am happy about my life, though intensely unhappy with the direction of this country.  

I have four cats, including three rescues.  We also have two gerbils, two frogs, probably twenty fish, and a caterpillar my daughter is raising to become a butterfly.  I need to hang my wife’s picture at every pet store, saying “do not sell to this woman.”

Goals — right now, I’m focused on health.  I’ve been making sure I walk at least 10,000 steps every day for the past week.  My feet HURT but also I feel a lot better.  Financially, I’ve realized I could potentially be on track to become a millionaire by my 50’s, so I’m working to achieve that.  I love going on cruises, so my retirement plan right now is to sell the house and just go on cruises year round, for as long as I can.

I don’t get to watch a lot of movies...last one I saw in theaters might have been Instant Family, which was very good.

And, yes, I actually can juggle.  I’m self taught.  I used to be an actor in my teens and early 20s, and juggling seemed like the kind of thing that could help me get a role.  

It never did.  

7 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I'll bite too. 

My goals are to attend law school and get a gig as an attorney where I can do the most to help to do my part in society while still being strongly a member of the academia. 

I'm here and exist, so might as well make something of it. I'm a nineteen year old student turning 20 this November (and of course I would never have a drink before the age of 21 or smoke the devil's lettuce, college students don't do those things ;) )

I'm pretty content with my life as it is and the way things are moving forward. I'm likely to get engaged in the next year or two and that's pretty exciting. 

No dog, but an adopted 5 year old cat cat that was previously somewhat abused. He's doing fine now and we are currently trying to get comfortable going outside with his harness and leash. 

Good childhood, lived just about everywhere you'd imagine (think military kid).

Pleasantville is my favorite movie by a pretty wide margin. 

I can juggle somewhat, but learned off of shoe weights from a former actor who never made it when I worked at a shoe store while we were slow. 

I'm currently studying for the LSAT, and moved into my first apartment earlier this year. When I was in high school I did plenty of extra-curriculars and was student body VP and participated in Model United Nations and Youth in Government (where I met my current SO). 

5 hours ago, Rodja said:

Empire Strikes back is my favorite one(I see why you love A New Hope). And I hate the prequels. Terrible CGI, convoluted plot, terrible acting and dialogue. But I too enjoy the sequels. 

What are your goals?

Step by step. Now I pursue two additional BA programs and hope to graduate them, before joining any MA. I hope to be able to teach at my university.

What drives you?

My desire to build up knowledge.

Are you happy?

Yes

Do you have a dog?

No, sadly I have not

What was your childhood like?

For me it was great. Others might think it was boring. I was not the most popular kid, but I do not enjoy going to night clubs, so I was glad I was not asked to participate in such activities.

What are your favorite movies?

Lord of the Rings, Gladiator, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Mask of Zorro, Remember the Titans, Troy, Gods and Generals/Gettysburg

(TV series: Lost, Charmed, The Tudors, The Borgias, Prison Break, Vikings, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Narcos, The Simpsons, The Big Bang Theory, How I met your Mother, Two and a half men)

Can you juggle?

No

What interesting stuff has happened recently?

Got Chinese stamps ^ ^

10 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Empire Strikes back is my favorite one(I see why you love A New Hope). And I hate the prequels. Terrible CGI, convoluted plot, terrible acting and dialogue. But I too enjoy the sequels. 

The plot is really the selling feature for me on the prequels. The insight on current worries and affairs in RL at that time, but through cinematic metaphor, was cleverly done. And, the CGI was top of the line for movie-making 15-20 years ago - they didn't actually have better at the time. The sequels just bombed with me. Bad plot continuity, flat characters (worse than the other six movies for that by far), nonsensical and contradictory plot, a merger of the 'special snowflake" and main protagonist-antagonist duality literary tropes done badly, but so central it glares out, Frankfurt-school deconstructionism and Disney obviously wanting to screw over what Lucas was trying to do with the first completely destroy any enjoyment I could have for the sequels. Also, the sequels have no catchy quotes at all, not like the other six movies do.

8 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

5 hours ago, Rodja said:

3 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Holy shit, did I just agree with Patine, we need to do more of these pop culture threads for moments like these

19 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

6 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

What are your goals?

Step by step. Now I pursue two additional BA programs and hope to graduate them, before joining any MA. I hope to be able to teach at my university.

What drives you?

My desire to build up knowledge.

Are you happy?

Yes

Do you have a dog?

No, sadly I have not

What was your childhood like?

For me it was great. Others might think it was boring. I was not the most popular kid, but I do not enjoy going to night clubs, so I was glad I was not asked to participate in such activities.

Lord of the Rings, Gladiator, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Mask of Zorro, Remember the Titans, Troy, Gods and Generals/Gettysburg

(TV series: Lost, Charmed, The Tudors, The Borgias, Prison Break, Vikings, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Narcos, The Simpsons, The Big Bang Theory, How I met your Mother, Two and a half men)

Can you juggle?

No

What interesting stuff has happened recently?

Got Chinese stamps ^ ^

My favourite movies would likely be:

-Star Wars Episodes 1-6

-Star Trek IV, V, and VI (yes, I liked Star Trek V)

-Masters of the Universe (the live action Golan and Globus film)

-Street Fighter (the original movie with Raul Julia and Jean-Claude Van Dam)

-Transformers: the Movie (the original Gen 1 animated movie, before Michael Bay absolutely butchered the franchise)

-Hero (the Hong Kong Wuxa film)

-Ice Pirates

-The Lord of the Rings (though the books were better)

-Kill Bill (the only Tarantino movie I can even stand)

-The original '80's Robocop Trilogy

-Superman II (the 1980 movie)

-Batman 1 and 2 (1989 and 1991)

-X-Men 1 and 2 and First Class (the only prequel other than the Star Wars I could stand)

-Space Balls

-The Princess Bride

-Neverending Story

-The Last Starfighter

-Excalibur

-The Sorceress

-Conan the Barbarian (original with Schwarzenegger) and Destroyer

-Red Sonya

-Matrix Revolution

-Jupiter Ascendant

-Fantastic Four (the first one - and not the German one)

-Howard the Duck

I grew up in a different day. I find I can't stand the vast majority of movies released in the last two decades.

8 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Goals - go to college and get some sort of journalistic degree

What drives you? Fear of Failure? ;)

Are you happy? Pretty much, yeah.

Do you have a dog? Yes! A lovely 11-year-old Golden Retriever.

What was your childhood like? I was a very cringy child. Any idea that someone got that it'd be like "Hey, we could make a play out of this" or a "YouTube video", I was there to make it happen. Particularly in elementary years. I'm glad those days are done...

LOTR (all three but the Two Towers is my favorite), Hobbit (all three but the third one is my favorite), Harry Potter (Order of the Phoenix favorite), Star Wars and Star Trek

Can I juggle? No, not at all.

Interesting thing that has happened lately? Moved my brother to college. Other than that, not much.

7 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Goals: Ideally one day to get my masters.

I have one cat. Chairman Meow. Terrible pun for a terrible cat. 

Childhood? Oof, I typically reserve this topic for my therapist. 

Movies? Oh man this list changes alot. I remember growing up loving anything Sandler did(Make what you want from that); but I don't have one favorite movie but simply a set of films that can put me in a happy place.  I love cheesy movies that are so bad that they are good. I love the typical artsy fartsy A24 films(Moonlight, Florida Project), and of course Harry Potter. 

9 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Goals: I have too many interests and come up with new ideas too quickly to ever really be goal oriented. I’m more a wanderer more than someone that has a plan. I have about 20 unfinished books I’ve written and probably a hundred unfinished projects overall. I’m trying to get better at finishing things. Huge effort this year. 

Drive: Knowledge and doing things that fit my natural abilities. Avoiding things that don’t acquire meaningful knowledge or don’t make good use of my natural abilities. Freedom to have time to do what I want when I want is also a driver. I’d take a $30,000 part time job, especially if it’s something I love to do, over a $100,000 60 hour a week job in which I do something I don’t enjoy. I’ve never personally had much money but I consider myself very successful since I’ve pretty much lived how I want to live most of my adult life. 

Happy: Yes

Have a dog?: No. not a dog person. They smell bad, are too clingy, are loud, and often too invasive of space. A friend of mine says you have to be a fascist to own a dog because of how often you have to command or control them. I don’t like to control and I don’t like to be controlled. I have 4 cats. 

Childhood: My dad was a multi-millionaire until I was about 8. Didn’t really see my parents much before then. I pretty much raised myself. Strangely, after my dad lost his money we moved to the wealthiest neighborhood in Dallas TX (I was also born in Dallas). I did not like growing up in my neighborhood. I was one of the few kids without rich parents. I was subject to bullying because I didn’t wear expensive clothes or because I wasn’t going to Europe or whatever for the Summer. I was a different person then too. Very quiet, constantly day dreaming, and never paying attention in class. I would skip class to go to the library in high school. I feel like I read almost everything in the library. I was really good at sports and great at autodidactic schooling. Strangely, I was immediately popular in undergrad. I became more extroverted and more confident, made straight A’s, went from having maybe 10 friends to hundreds of friends. 

Movies: Almost all movies bore me. I like old 1930s-1950s movies and shorts the most though. I prefer TV comedies, British or American. 

Random facts: I was born in Texas but don’t drive. It’s my only phobia. Other than that I’m quite fearless. I like to walk, often walking 10 miles a day on average. I think 24 miles is my record. I used to be able to dunk a basketball. I’ve pretty much always been good at anything I’m interested in. Can’t juggle because I lack the interest. I was a manager at two different places before I hit my 20s. I could name all the presidents in order and talk about them by the 3rd grade. I could draw the entire world map by 2nd grade. I could barely read in 1st grade, but by 2nd grade I was reading middle school level books while the rest of the class was reading 2nd grade books.  I’ve had so many strange things happen in my life that I can’t list them on here, especially during the 5 years I lived in NYC. I’ve met many famous writers at parties in NYC. My half-first cousin (same grandfather) was Hillary Clinton’s campaign manager, but I’ve never met him. 

I could go on but it’s almost time for my doctor’s appointment for my knee. 

6 hours ago, Patine said:

Tattoos, as well as piercings and more extreme things like brands and self-made scars already struck me as things hooligans wore. 

This does not surprise me at all.

36 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Have a dog?: No. not a dog person. They smell bad, are too clingy, are loud, and often too invasive of space. A friend of mine says you have to be a fascist to own a dog because of how often you have to command or control them. I don’t like to control and I don’t like to be controlled. I have 4 cats. 

I'd think it's actually more comparable to communism, especially if there happens to be more than one dog. Either way would be a sad way to look at it imo. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I like to walk, often walking 10 miles a day on average. 

Damn!  I thought my five miles a day was hard -- sure feels like it, to my poor feet!

@Patine

I'd highly recommend that you watch Pleasantville. It's from the 90's and serves as a harsh criticism of the romanticization of the 1950's. It's great. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I like to walk, often walking 10 miles a day on average. I think 24 miles is my record

Damn. I should probably pick up walking as a hobby. I ballooned from 160 to closer to 210 over the past year and a half. I'm down under 200 again but MAN does weight gain sneak up on you. 

28 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

@Patine

I'd highly recommend that you watch Pleasantville. It's from the 90's and serves as a harsh criticism of the romanticization of the 1950's. It's great. 

Damn. I should probably pick up walking as a hobby. I ballooned from 160 to closer to 210 over the past year and a half. I'm down under 200 again but MAN does weight gain sneak up on you. 

Wait until you get over 35. I was think 170-180 lbs (6'4") and could eat whatever I wanted prior to hitting 35. After that my metabolism slowed down. I'm at 215 lbs now. Blood pressure was 160/104 at the doctor today, which is my highest ever. Got to cut down on sugar and carbs. Also need to cut down on things that stress me out, so I probably won't ever GM in the forum again. That definitely stressed me out. I probably won't engage in many of the general posts as much as I used to. 

43 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Damn!  I thought my five miles a day was hard -- sure feels like it, to my poor feet!

You get used to it. I've gone over 20 miles a few times, but I definitely feel it in my feet, ankles, and knees when I do that. 10 miles is a cake walk once you get used to doing it. I can daydream at will, so the time goes by really quickly. My leg muscles are my most defined muscles. My advantage is that I don't drive, and I prefer not to use public transportation when I can avoid it. My 24 mile walk was from Long Island City Queens, to Central Park, around the Upper East Side, back to Central Park, down 5th Avenue to Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village, over to East Village and the Lower East Side, down to City Hall, to Wall Street, to the tip of the Island in view of Statue of Liberty, back up to Central Park, and back over the bridge to Long Island City, Queens. There was also a lot of zig zagging through streets. I took a 5 hour break and then took the subway to City Hall and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn Heights and walked around there. This was before I moved to NYC. Surprisingly I didn't do this in tennis shoes. 

I pretty much walk around every city I visit. I go to all the key neighborhoods and then I focus on those that I liked the most the rest of the day. 

I think at 15 miles is when I start feeling it now. 

11 hours ago, SilentLiberty said:

She's a Schnauzer mix. Also the last Jedi of course.

JK I would probably say it's either number 4 or number 7. Rogue one was also really good.