270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Patine

I Had No Idea Trump Spoke Chinese

I just got back from eating at a diner where a television was showing the early evening news, and Donald Trump was in Beijing to discuss the Hong Kong issue with Xi Jinpeng. And he was speaking Chinese! I don't know HOW fluent or good his Chinese would be considered to a native speaker - he might sound like the analog of the bad racist stereotype of broken Chinese common in 19th and 20th American comedy, I don't know - but he wasn't being dubbed by Chinese television, as his lips matched what he was saying, and it was his voice. He must have picked this up during his business career. Other than George H.W. Bush, I don't know if any other U.S. President actually spoke Chinese.

31 minutes ago, Patine said:

I just got back from eating at a diner where a television was showing the early evening news, and Donald Trump was in Beijing to discuss the Hong Kong issue with Xi Jinpeng. And he was speaking Chinese! I don't know HOW fluent or good his Chinese would be considered to a native speaker - he might sound like the analog of the bad racist stereotype of broken Chinese common in 19th and 20th American comedy, I don't know - but he wasn't being dubbed by Chinese television, as his lips matched what he was saying, and it was his voice. He must have picked this up during his business career. Other than George H.W. Bush, I don't know if any other U.S. President actually spoke Chinese.

This is something I'm going to need to see in order to believe. I remember there was video of a Chinese AI that somehow translated what Trump was saying into Chinese (and kept it in Trump's voice), but it didn't match his lips if I remember correctly. I can't imagine they would ever need to use that technology if he actually spoke Chinese.

I can guarantee that the President doesn't speak Chinese. The USA is the only superpower in the world (and also hyperpower, a step above that). Any US President has no need to learn any other language when you're the most powerful man alive.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

I seriously doubt he speaks Chinese. He can barely speak English. Herbert Hoover is actually the only president fluent in Mandarin Chinese. 

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I seriously doubt he speaks Chinese. He can barely speak English.

He's an extremely smart man and that's how he chooses to communicate to his base. You know that. Same reason he doesn't wear fitted suits.

31 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I can guarantee that the President doesn't speak Chinese. The USA is the only superpower in the world (and also hyperpower, a step above that). Any US President has no need to learn any other language when you're the most powerful man alive.

Intelligent people can decide to learn other languages, it is a good skill to have. Anyone who denies that simply probably can't speak another language.

Just now, Hestia11 said:

Intelligent people can decide to learn other languages, it is a good skill to have. Anyone who denies that simply probably can't speak another language.

I agree, I can speak conversational Spanish really well. I'm just saying that if Trump really spoke Chinese we would have known before he even ran for President, because I really don't see him learning an entire language (as busy as he is) just to talk to one person.

5 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I agree, I can speak conversational Spanish really well. I'm just saying that if Trump really spoke Chinese we would have known before he even ran for President, because I really don't see him learning an entire language (as busy as he is) just to talk to one person.

I'm not sure we would've known, it's not like it usually comes up in a campaign if you speak Chinese. 

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

He's an extremely smart man and that's how he chooses to communicate to his base. You know that. Same reason he doesn't wear fitted suits.

He doesn't wear fitted suits because he's fat. 

14 minutes ago, vcczar said:

fet

12 hours ago, vcczar said:

Why must you bless me with this statement this morning. I laughed a little too hard. Have you seen the clip of when a news commentator says the "President needs to get off his fat a**" I believe it was on Chris Cuomo's show.

11 minutes ago, Harris/Ernst 2020 said:

Why must you bless me with this statement this morning. I laughed a little too hard. Have you seen the clip of when a news commentator says the "President needs to get off his fat a**" I believe it was on Chris Cuomo's show.

Maybe another laugh:

Trump can't even say the WORD "China" correctly. 

Seriously.  There is no way that he speaks Chinese, even at an amateur level.  

Here's a Deep Fake of him appearing to speak Chinese.  

Here is another one, showcasing the same technology, at an event:

Assuming you're telling the truth and correctly interpreted what you were seeing, it absolutely has to be an example of this or a similar technology.  

2 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Assuming you're telling the truth and correctly interpreted what you were seeing, it absolutely has to be an example of this or a similar technology.  

Except that "China" is not even how they say China in Chinese - the endonym of the nation is "Zhongguo."

22 minutes ago, Patine said:

Except that "China" is not even how they say China in Chinese - the endonym of the nation is "Zhongguo."

I don't understand the point you're trying to make.  I'm saying he can barely say the word China in English.  It often comes out of his mouth as "Gina", rhyming with "Vagina."

3 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I don't understand the point you're trying to make.  I'm saying he can barely say the word China in English.  It often comes out of his mouth as "Gina", rhyming with "Vagina."

My point is, to play the Devil's Advocate, that how well he say's the English exonym "China" is English could be irrelevant (hypothetically speaking, here) to how well he said "Zhongguo" when speaking Chinese. It's a different word, in a different language. It's like Germans don't Germany "Germany," they call it "Deutcheland."

39 minutes ago, Patine said:

My point is, to play the Devil's Advocate, that how well he say's the English exonym "China" is English could be irrelevant (hypothetically speaking, here) to how well he said "Zhongguo" when speaking Chinese. It's a different word, in a different language. It's like Germans don't Germany "Germany," they call it "Deutcheland."

...He's not speaking Chinese.  That is a computer program that makes it LOOK like he is speaking Chinese.

2 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

...He's not speaking Chinese.  That is a computer program that makes it LOOK like he is speaking Chinese.

Then you should have based your argument on electronic tomfoolery in the first place, instead of talking about how he pronounced words that would actually irrelevant if he REALLY were speaking Chinese.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

Then you should have based your argument on electronic tomfoolery in the first place, instead of talking about how he pronounced words that would actually irrelevant if he REALLY were speaking Chinese.

...I DID.  I made a passing reference to how he can barely speak English, and then posted multiple videos showcasing the technology used to make it LOOK like Trump was speaking Chinese.

Just now, Actinguy said:

...I DID.  I made a passing reference to how he can barely speak English, and then posted multiple videos showcasing the technology used to make it LOOK like Trump was speaking Chinese.

Ah. I've just gotten in the habit of disdaining video files linked on forums on general principal, far preferring text articles. I've mostly come to the point where I don't even click video links anymore, instinctively. I apologize. It seems my personal Internet preference filter got that one.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Ah. I've just gotten in the habit of disdaining video files linked on forums on general principal, far preferring text articles. I've mostly come to the point where I don't even click video links anymore, instinctively. I apologize. It seems my personal Internet preference filter got that one.

It's ok we love you ❤️

Or at least I do

18 hours ago, Actinguy said:

That's pretty neat!

On 8/14/2019 at 12:35 PM, Actinguy said:

With many of these deepfakes (and sometimes other videos) what happens is I disassociate the  voice from the video which just feels weird.

1 hour ago, NYrepublican said:

With many of these deepfakes (and sometimes other videos) what happens is I disassociate the  voice from the video which just feels weird.

Wtf you came back

On 8/18/2019 at 3:33 PM, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Wtf you came back

Remembering now how I over a year ago was the most active poster here.