270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Actinguy

A playthrough of VCCZAR's 2020 Board Game

Hey all,

I have some downtime between running various forum games here, so I thought I'd do a quick simulation of @vcczar's 2020 board game again.  I'm not looking for players, just simulating with all characters as myself -- trying to make logical choices for all of them.

I've made some modifications to the game (which was created before we knew the full list of who would run in 2020, or how they would actually do).  I've eliminated all Democrats who aren't actually running, such as Hillary Clinton.  I've also eliminated those who do not appear to be on track to qualify for the October debates, as their chances of survival are zero.  On the flip side, I've actually added Andrew Yang as he's the only Democrat not originally included in the game who does appear on track for an October debate appearance.

I will only be simulating the Democrats, as I expect the real world Republican primary to be boring/almost non-existent.  I will of course add Trump and Pence when it's time for the General election.

The Democrats I will be playing as are: Biden, Harris, Bernie, Booker, Castro, Warren, Klobuchar, and Yang.

I will follow this.

4 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

The Democrats I will be playing as are: Biden, Harris, Bernie, Booker, Castro, Warren, Klobuchar, and Yang.

*screeches in Betomania*

Jk. This looks like it will be a lot of fun to watch unfold. Good luck! It's a LOT of number crunching ;) 

3 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

*screeches in Betomania*

Jk. This looks like it will be a lot of fun to watch unfold. Good luck! It's a LOT of number crunching ;) 

Whoops, good call.  He and Buttigieg were both left out inadvertently.  I'll put them back in.

10 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Hey all,

I have some downtime between running various forum games here, so I thought I'd do a quick simulation of @vcczar's 2020 board game again.  I'm not looking for players, just simulating with all characters as myself -- trying to make logical choices for all of them.

I've made some modifications to the game (which was created before we knew the full list of who would run in 2020, or how they would actually do).  I've eliminated all Democrats who aren't actually running, such as Hillary Clinton.  I've also eliminated those who do not appear to be on track to qualify for the October debates, as their chances of survival are zero.  On the flip side, I've actually added Andrew Yang as he's the only Democrat not originally included in the game who does appear on track for an October debate appearance.

I will only be simulating the Democrats, as I expect the real world Republican primary to be boring/almost non-existent.  I will of course add Trump and Pence when it's time for the General election.

I would greatly updated this game if I ever get back to it, primarily the candidate strengths. 

17 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I would greatly updated this game if I ever get back to it, primarily the candidate strengths. 

Yep, working on that right now.

I've bumped Biden's black support up to a 6 (he's got a huge lead among black voters from what I've seen in the polls, crushing both Kamala and Booker). 

I've dropped Kamala's black support to a 5.  

I've dropped Beto's Liberal support to a 3, Millennial support to a 4, and black support to a 2.

I've dropped Bernie's progressive to a 6, indicative of the gains Warren has made against him.

I've dropped Booker's Liberal to a 3, Black support to a 4.

I've dropped Castro's liberal to a 3, upped his progressive to a 3.

I've upped Warren's Liberal to a 4.

I've dropped Klobuchar's Liberal to a 3.  Dropped her millenial to a 2.

I've created Yang as having a 2 in liberal, 3 in progressive, a 4 in millennial, and a 1 in black and hispanic voters.  I have no idea how fair/accurate that is as I admittedly don't know a lot about Yang -- that's just my best guess at reading the room.  Yang's best chance for relevance is to make an impact on the young voters.

As a general note, you'll see I bumped a lot of scores lower and didn't increase many in return.  My intention is that it will be very difficult...but not impossible...for folks at the "Buttigieg and lower" line in the polls to actually gain traction.  I expect heading into this that the real fight is Biden vs. Kamala vs. Bernie vs. Warren just as it's been in the polls for quite some time.  But perhaps we will be very surprised -- just as we are sometimes in real primaries.

As for warchest, I've created the following tiers based on real world 2020 fundraising levels so far.

5:  Biden, Buttigieg, Bernie, Warren
4: Kamala
3: Beto, Booker, Castro, Klbuchar, Yang

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

My intention is that it will be very difficult...but not impossible...for folks at the "Buttigieg and lower" line in the polls to actually gain traction.

Yeah, this would be my main reason for changing things. When I created it, I had no idea who would take off right away and who wouldn't. I was also following Nate Silver's wings of the Democratic Party and how he positions them all in strength for these wings (or appeal rather). He was even more off than I was since I adapted his a day after he posted it. Since I keep up with politics it is really hard for me to gauge name recognition because I know all the names. 

19 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Since I keep up with politics it is really hard for me to gauge name recognition because I know all the names. 

This was something I brought up a month ago when I attended Nashville Pride Parade. I figured that most pundits were well aware of Buttigieg and perhaps some of the LGBT community, but there were so many signs and cardboard cutouts of Buttigieg that it stunned me for him to have that level of recognition and favor in the community. That would have been closer to the peak of Buttigieg's support, but still. 

PRE PRIMARY DEBATES

Per the game rules, all primaries before Iowa are lumped together into a single overall competition.  Each candidate attacks one other candidate about one of the following topics: Liberal, Progressive, Millennial, Black, Hispanic.

The attacker and defender in each matchup roll a die -- the difference between the die rolls indicates whether the attack made any lasting impact.

Notable outcomes:

Biden destroys Kamala in a series of arguments about who would be the better candidate for black voters -- but Kamala regains some ground by presenting her case that she's the stronger candidate for standard, liberal "party base" Democrat voters.

Warren and Bernie have a bit of a sparring match over progressive bona fides -- but when Castro tries to jump in, Bernie obliterates him.

In the end of the debates and heading to Iowa, Bernie is seen as the obvious winner of the pre-Primary Debates (6), while Castro is seen as the biggest flop (-3).

Bernie's fundraising hits the maximum level, while Warren, Kamala, Buttigieg, and Castro all slip financially.  In fact, Castro's campaign goes bankrupt and he is forced to drop out by the end of 2019.  (I've added a rule that fundraising...which could previously only drop to 1...can in fact fall to 0 and cause a candidate to be forced to drop out).

To determine who candidates endorse when they drop out, I'm randomly (die roll) choosing between anyone with a title such as "Front runner" or "Challenger", someone who is closest to them on the issue that matters most to them (for example, Castro's closest competitor on Hispanic is Beto), selecting someone randomly, or not endorsing anyone at all.

1 = Biden (Front runner)
2 = Beto (Closest on Hispanic value)
3 = Random
4 = No one.

Rolled a 4.  Castro endorses no one.

ENDORSEMENT PRIMARIES.

First, we pull a random card.  It's a luck card giving 3 War Chest to the player with high integrity with the most delegates.  Nobody has any delegates, while Bernie and Klobuchar both have high integrity.  Flipping a coin...Bernie wins.  It doesn't actually do anything for him as he's already at maximum war chest -- winning the coin flip just prevented Klobuchar from going on a fundraising bonanza.

Now we see which candidates dominated which fields when it came to endorsements.  

Candidates must be rated a 4 or higher in a field to compete for endorsements -- but the frontrunner (Biden) can compete in all of them.

LIBERAL BASE: 

Biden, Kamala, Warren, Klobuchar, and Buttigieg.  Winner is...BIDEN!

PROGRESSIVES:

Biden, Bernie, Warren.  Winner is...BERNIE! 

MILLENNIALS:

Biden, Kamala, Beto, Bernie, Booker, Warren, Yang, Buttigieg.  This is the most competitive demographic. Winner is...BERNIE!

BLACK VOTERS:

Biden, Kamala, Booker.  Winner is...BIDEN AND KAMALA TIE!

HISPANIC VOTERS

Biden or Beto.  Winner is...BIDEN (very narrowly)!

So Biden won the key endorsements from the liberal base, Hispanic leaders, and half of Black leaders.  He won the most endorsements, so he retains his frontrunner status.  He also builds on his support nationally among Hispanic and Black voters (he was already maxed with Liberals) and gains +1 WC.  

Bernie won the key endorsements of Progressives, and Millennials.  He builds on his support nationally among progressives and millennials.  He would gain 1 WC but he's already maxed.

And Kamala won the key endorsements of the other half of black leaders.  She builds on her support among black voters and gains 1 WC.  

All other candidates lose 2 WC for failing to catch fire with any particular wing in the Democrat party.  Beto, Booker, Klobuchar, and Yang all head into Iowa on financial life support -- with Buttigieg and Warren only doing slightly better.  

7 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Biden or Beto.  Winner is...BIDEN (very narrowly)!

Can Castro not compete for Hispanics?

8 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Can Castro not compete for Hispanics?

He already dropped out.

Just now, Reagan04 said:

He already dropped out.

OH. Duh! I missed a post. Stupid me. Alright, all hail my new favorite for the nomination Pete Buttigieg! 

(I've updated state delegate counts based off of each state's democrat caucus/primary Wikipedia page)

IOWA! (41 delegates)

Liberals (20% of total delegate count)
Biden 10%
Kamala 5%

Booker 5%

Progressives (20% of total delegate count) 
Bernie 10%
Warren 5%
Booker 5%

Millennials (20% of total delegate count) 
Kamala 7%
Beto 7%
Yang 6%

Black (10% of total delegate count)
Biden 5%
Kamala 5%

Hispanic (10% of total delegate count)
Biden 5%
Buttigieg 3%
Beto 2%

MIsc (20% of total delegate count)
Klobuchar 7%
Yang 7%
Bernie 6%

TOTAL IOWA VOTE
Biden 20%
Kamala 17%
Bernie 16%
Yang 13%
Booker 10%
Beto 9%
Klobuchar 7%
Warren 5%
Buttigieg 3%

UPDATED DELEGATE COUNT: 
Biden 8
Harris 7
Bernie 7
Yang 5
Booker 4
Beto 4
Klobuchar 3
Warren 2
Buttigieg 1

For winning Iowa, Biden gets +2 Warchest -- maxing him out.  

I'll roll a D20 at the end of each primary to see if anyone getting less than 5% of the vote drops out.  Roll higher than 15 and they're gone.

Buttigieg rolls a one and remains more "in it to win it" than ever before.

POST IOWA DEBATES

Biden annihilates Kamala in a series of exchanges about core Liberal values.  Biden is the clear victor of the debate (5), with Kamala the clear loser (-6).  Booker (3), Biden (2), and Buttigieg (1) also have good nights.  Warren (-3) and Klobuchar (-2) have off nights, while Yang and Beto (0 for each) fail to make an impression.

Booker's fundraising increases (Biden's and Bernie's are already maxed).  Kamala is on financial life support, while both Elizabeth Warren and Amy Klobuchar are forced to drop out (bankrupt) before New Hampshire.

Warren endorses...

1: Biden (Frontrunner)
2: Bernie (Closest on progressive)
3: Random
4: No one

I roll a 2.  Warren endorses Bernie, giving him her 2 delegates.  That's actually enough for Bernie to pull ahead to first place with 9 delegates against Biden's 8.  However, it's not time yet to recalculate so Biden still remains "front runner" for now.

Klobuchar endorses...

1: Biden (Frontrunner)
2: Buttigieg (Closest on Liberal)

I roll a 4.  Klobuchar endorses no one and her 3 delegates evaporate.

We pull a random card.  It's a +2 WC to the candidate with the fewest delegates.  That's Buttigieg.

Our new funding levels:

7 (Max): Biden, Bernie
6: No one
5: No one
4: Buttigieg
3: No one
2: Booker
1: Kamala, Beto, Yang

NEW HAMPSHIRE PRIMARY (24 delegates)

Liberals (10%)
Biden 5%
Buttigieg 5%

Progressives (30%)
Bernie 30%

Millennial (20%)
Buttigieg 10%
Kamala 4%
Yang 3%
Beto 3%

Black (10%) 
Biden 10%

Hispanic (10%)
Kamala 5%
Biden 5%

Misc (20%)
Biden 15
Beto 3
Kamla 2

NEW HAMPSHIRE TOTALS
Biden 35% - 8 delegates
Bernie 30% - 7 delegates
Buttigieg 15% - 4 delegates
Kamala 11% - 3 delegates
Beto 6% - 1 delegate
Yang 3% - 1 delegate
Booker 0%

For getting zero delegates in New Hampshire, Booker's fundraising drops 2 WC and he's forced to drop out.  Booker endorses...

1: Biden (Front runner)
2: Kamala (closest on black support)

I roll a 2.  Booker drops out and endorses Kamala Harris.  This boosts both her delegate count and bankroll.

I also roll to see if Yang drops out after getting less than 5% in a state.  He does not.

NEW DELEGATE COUNT
Biden 16
Bernie 16
Kamala 14
Yang 6
Beto 5
Buttigieg 5

POST NEW HAMPSHIRE DEBATE

This is actually the least remarkable debate so far.  Biden (2) is again declared the victor and Kamala (-2) is the biggest loser in a scuffle over black support, while Bernie (1) and Buttigieg (-1) have a minor exchange over Millennials' needs.  Beto and Yang again fail to make an impression even as the field continues to dwindle.

However, even though there were no huge moments in the debate, Kamala's minor flop costs 2 WC and bankrupts her campaign.  Third-place Kamala is forced out and endorses...

1: Biden (front runner)
2: Biden (closest on black support)

I roll a 2.  Kamala endorses Biden, turning the tide as Biden was tied with Bernie in delegates but now has almost double Bernie's total.

Nevada (36 delegates) 

Liberal (20%)
Biden 15%
Beto 5%

Progressives (20%)
Biden 10%
Bernie 10%

Millennial (20%)
Bernie 10
Biden 5
Buttigieg 3
Beto 2

Black (10%)
Biden 10

Hispanic (20%)
Biden 10
Beto 10

Misc (10%)
Biden 5
Beto 3
Buttigieg 2

NEVADA TOTAL
Biden 55% - 20 delegates
Beto 20% - 7 delegates
Bernie 20% - 7 delegates
Buttigieg 5% - 2 delegates
Yang 0%

NEW DELEGATE COUNT
Biden 50
Bernie 23
Beto 12
Buttigieg 7
Yang 6
----
SOUTH CAROLINA (54 delegates)

Liberal (30%)
Biden 10
Buttigieg 10
Bernie 5
Yang 5

Progressives (10%)
Bernie 10

Millenials (20%)
Bernie 20

Blacks (20)
Biden 20

Hispanic (10)
Beto 5
Biden 5

Misc (10) 
Biden 5
Beto 2
Bernie 2
Yang 1

SOUTH CAROLINA TOTALS
Biden 40% - 22 delegates
Bernie 37% - 20 delegates
Buttigieg 10% - 5 delegates
Beto 7% - 4 delegates
Yang 6% - 3 delegates

NEW DELEGATE TOTAL
Biden 72
Bernie 43
Beto 16
Buttigieg 12
Yang 9

Though Biden has taken (a sometimes narrow) first place in all four states so far, Bernie is the only one to consistently come in 2nd or 3rd in each state.  Therefore, he earns the "Dark Horse" title.  

PRE SUPER TUESDAY DEBATE

Biden and Bernie both take aim at Buttigieg, but Buttigieg trounces them both.  Buttigieg (6) wins the debate.  Beto (-3) makes a failed attack on Biden's border policy.  Bernie (-2) and Yang (-2) also have poor showings.

Buttigieg gets a big fundraising boost.  Third place Beto goes bankrupt and endorses...

2: Bernie (Dark Horse)
3: Biden (Closest on Hispanic)
4: Random

Rolled a 3.  Beto drops out and endorses Joe Biden right before Super Tuesday.  

Our new delegate count:
Biden 88
Bernie 44
Buttigieg 12
Yang 9

SUPER TUESDAY PART ONE

Super Tuesday is an absolute slog to get through, so I'm going to just post a few states at a time.  But first, we pull a random card.  

Scandal!  -2 WC to the frontrunner, which is Biden.

I'm also going to have some of the candidates start investing their warchest as needed to improve their chances in certain states.

I'll have Bernie make a small investment into hispanics in California, as Biden's lead there has fallen.  And I'll have Buttigieg make a huge investment in California liberals and a smaller investment in California hispanics.  He's got a ton of money but is desperate for a big delegate win, and that's what California represents.  Yang has no money to invest, and Biden doesn't want to spend down to where a bad debate could make him bankrupt when he's currently the front runner.

ALABAMA (60 delegates)

Liberals (30%)
Biden 30

Progressives (10%)
Bernie 10

Millennials (20%)
Bernie 15
Buttigieg 5

Black (20%)
Biden 20

Hispanic (10%)
Biden 10

Misc (10%)
Bernie 5
Biden 5

ALABAMA TOTAL
Biden 65% - 39 delegates
Bernie 30% - 18 delegates
Buttigieg 5% - 3 delegates
Yang 0% - 0 delegates

-------------------------

ARKANSAS TOTAL
Biden 60% - 24 delegates
Bernie 37% - 15 delegates
Yang 2% - 1 delegate
Buttigieg 1% - 0 delegates

ARKANSAS (40 delegates) 

Liberals (30%)
Biden 30

Progressives (10%)
Bernie 5
Biden 5

Millennials (20%)
Bernie 20

Black (20%)
Biden 20

Hispanic (10%)
Bernie 10

Misc (10%)
Biden 5
Bernie 2
Yang 2
Buttigieg 1

ARKANSAS TOTAL
Biden 60% - 24 delegates
Bernie 37% - 15 delegates
Yang 2% - 1 delegate
Buttigieg 1% - 0 delegates

-----
CALIFORNIA (550 delegates)

Liberals (20%)
Buttigieg 20

Progressives (20%)
Bernie 15
Buttigieg 5

Millennials (20%)
Bernie 10
Yang 5
Buttigieg 5

Black (10%)
Biden 10

Hispanic (20%)
Biden 20

Misc (10%)
Biden 5
Buttigieg 5

CALIFORNIA TOTAL
Biden 35% - 193 delegates
Buttigieg 35% - 193 delegates
Bernie 25% - 138 delegates
Yang 5% - 26 delegates
----

COLORADO (80 delegates)

Liberals (20%)
Biden 20

Progressives (30%)
Bernie 20
Yang 5
Biden 3
Buttigieg 2

Millennials (20%)
Bernie 15
Buttigieg 5

Black (10%)
Biden 10

Hispanic (10%)
Biden 5
Bernie 5

Misc (10%)
Buttigieg 5
Biden 5

COLORADO TOTAL 
Biden 43% - 34 delegates
Bernie 40% - 32 delegates
Buttigieg 12% - 10 delegates
Yang 5% - 4 delegates

----
GEORGIA (120 delegates)

Liberals (30%)
Biden 15
Buttigieg 10
Bernie 5

Progressives (10%)
Bernie 5
Buttigieg 5

Millennials (20%)
Buttigieg 10
Bernie 5
Yang 5

Blacks (20%)
Biden 20

Hispanics (10%)
Buttigieg 5
Bernie 3
Biden 2

Misc (10%)
Yang 5
Bernie 5

GEORGIA TOTAL
Biden 37% - 44 delegates
Buttigieg 30% - 36 delegates
Bernie 23% - 28 delegates
Yang 10% - 12 delegates

-----

CURRENT DELEGATE COUNT 
Biden 422
Bernie 274
Buttigieg 254
Yang 52

SUPER TUESDAY PART TWO

MASSACHUSETTS (120 delegates)

Liberal (20%)
Biden 10
Bernie 5
Yang 5

Progressive (20%)
Bernie 20

Millennial (20%)
Biden 10
Benie 10

Black (10%)
Biden 10

Hispanic (10%)
Biden 10

Misc (20%)
Biden 10
Bernie 5
Yang 5

MASS TOTAL
Biden 50% - 60 delegates
Bernie 40% - 48 delegates
Yang 10% - 12 delegates
Buttigieg 0% - 0 delegates
-----

MINNESOTA (90 delegates)

Liberals (10%)
Biden 10

Progressives (30%)
Bernie 30

Millennials (20%)
Bernie 10
Buttigieg 5
Yang 5

Black (10%)
Biden 5
Buttigeg 5

Hispanic (10%)
Biden 10

Misc (20%)
Buttigieg 20

MINNESOTA TOTAL
Bernie 40% - 36 delegates
Buttigieg 30% - 27 delegates 
Biden 25% - 23 delegates
Yang 5% - 4 delegates
-----

OKLAHOMA (40 delegates)

Liberal (20%)
Biden 20

Progressive (20%)
Bernie 20

Millennial (20%)
Bernie 10
Yang 5
Biden 5

Black (10%)
Biden 10

Hispanic (10%)
Buttigieg 5
Biden 2
Yang 2
Bernie 1

Misc (20%)
Bernie 15
Yang 3
Biden 2

OKLAHOMA TOTAL
Bernie 46% - 18 delegates
Biden 39% - 16 delegates
Yang 10% - 4 delegates
Buttigieg 5% - 2 delegates
---

UPDATED DELEGATE COUNTS

Biden 521
Bernie 363
Buttigieg 283
Yang 72

SUPER TUESDAY PART THREE - CONCLUSION

TENNESSEE (80 delegeates)

Liberals (30%)
Biden 30

Progressives (10%)
Bernie 10

Millennials (20%)
Bernie 20

Blacks (20%)
Biden 20

Hispanic (10%)
Biden 5
Bernie 5

Misc (10%)
Yang 4
Biden 3
Bernie 3

TENNESSEE TOTAL
Biden 58% - 47 delegates
Bernie 38% - 30 delegates
Yang 4% - 3 delegates
-----------------------

TEXAS (250 delegates)

Liberals (30%)
Biden 20
Buttigieg 5
Yang 5

Progressives (10%)
Biden 10

Millennials (20%)
Bernie 10
Buttigieg 5
Yang 3
Biden 2

Black (10%)
Biden 10

Hispanics (20%)
Bernie 10
Buttigieg 5
Biden 5

Misc (10%)
Bernie 4
Yang 3
Buttigieg 3

TEXAS TOTAL
Bernie 39% - 98 delegates
Biden 37% - 93 delegates
Buttigieg 13% - 33 delegates
Yang 11% - 26 delegates

----
VERMONT (30 delegates)

Liberals (10%)
Biden 5
Buttigieg 5

Progressives (30%)
Bernie 30

Millennials (20%)
Bernie 10
Buttigieg 5
Yang 5

Black (10%)
Biden 10

Hispanic (10%)
Yang 10

Misc (20%)
Bernie 20

VERMONT TOTAL
Bernie 60% - 18 delegates
Biden 15% - 5 delegates
Yang 15% - 5 delegates
Buttigieg 10% - 2 delegates
---------------

VIRGINIA (110 delegates)

Liberal (30%)
Biden 30

Progressive (10%)
Bernie 10

Millennial (20%)
Buttigieg 10
Yang 5
Biden 5

Black (20%)
Biden 20

Hispanic (10%)
Biden 10

Misc (10%)
Buttigieg 5
Yang 5

VIRGINIA TOTAL 
Biden 65% - 72 delegates
Buttigieg 15% - 17 delegates
Yang 10% - 11 delegates
Bernie 10% - 10 delegates
-----

AMERICAN SAMOA (10 delegates)

Liberals (100%)
Biden 3
Yang 3
Buttigieg 3
Bernie 1
---

DELEGATE COUNT AT END OF SUPER TUESDAY

Biden 742
Bernie 520
Buttigieg 338
Yang 120

Biden and Bernie's funding goes back to max for each winning several states.  Buttigieg gets a small bump for tying first place in California, but it doesn't make up for all the money he spent there.  

Andrew Yang loses 2 WC for failing to win a single state, which makes him bankrupt.  He endorses...

2: Bernie (Dark Horse)
3: Buttigieg (Closest on Millennials)
4: Random

Yang drops out and endorses Bernie Sanders.

Our new delegate count:

Biden 742
Bernie 640
Buttigieg 338

POST SUPER TUESDAY DEBATE

First we draw a random card.  +2 WC for the Democrat with the fewest delegates.  This gives Pete a better financial cushion, though he's still not caught up to where he was financially when he decided to go almost all-in on California (and tied Biden for first there).

Interestingly, rather than going after each other -- because they recognize that there's actually very little overlap between their voter pools -- both Biden and Bernie go after Buttigieg to eliminate the compromise candidate.  This is mildly successful, with Bernie (1) winning the debate and Buttigieg (-2) losing.  Buttigieg loses the money he just gained with the random luck card...but he's still able to remain in the race and live to see another day.

2 hours ago, Ishan said:

Where are the rules of the game?

It’s @vcczar‘s game.  I think he’d have to send you an invite to see the rules if he’s so inclined.  It’s a work in progress, but I really enjoy it.