270soft Forum
vcczar

2nd Playthrough A More Perfect Union

We now begin the 2nd playthrough of A More Perfect Union (also called American Statesman). 

Intro for this Playthrough

In 1787, several statesman from the newly independent states met in Philadelphia to discuss and correct the defects of the Articles of Confederation, a document allowing only a very weak form of centralized government with no real executive. The government struggled to resolve rebellion at home (Shay's Rebellion), several economic issues (such as paying war debt), and several other critical issues. There was also a much greater threat of foreign influences by the Great Powers of Europe under a decentralized federal government. 

Initially, the goal of 1787 was to only amend the Articles, but James Madison and others sought for more reform, giving us the US Constitution, a document with its own imperfections, but one giving a the fledgling country a far better chance at becoming a more perfect union. 

Players:

George Washington and John Adams have been recently elected president in 1788 with the electoral college finalizing the count in early 1789. 

@Herbert Hoover controls George Washington

@Conservative Elector 2 controls John Adams

Other players in this playthrough are @Hestia11 @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty @Reagan04 . Lastly, @Actinguy might play a role in this later. I'm sure @Patine and @jvikings1 will be interested in observing or possibly jumping in at some point. 

Up next: US House Control

And we, gentlemen, are off to the races. Let this playthrough be one of peace, love, and the Progressive Federalists dominating all! ;)

US House Elections of 1788! Federalists take narrow lead in the US House! Speaker to be determined! 

How US House Elections are done

Since this is the first time this has been done for this playthrough, I'll discuss some of the rules. 

First, we add all the voting power by party. Independents will count as votes for the party they are allied with. Thus, Washington's VP influence is with the Federalists, and Benjamin Franklin's VP influence is with the JRs. 

Federalists have a total VP of 191 to the JR's 165

Secondly, we would apply the margin of the presidential victory x10 to the numbers above. For the first election, we don't do this. 

Thirdly, we would apply the voting power of the Speaker and House Minority leaders x3 to the numbers in the first part, but we don't do this for this first time since we haven't Congressional officers yet. 

Fourthly, the party with the highest public support gets 10 points. Both parties begin equally supported, so no change. 

Finally, we roll a 20-sided die for each party to account for unexpected House victories. Feds roll a 4 and JRs roll a 7. 

Thus, we finish with 195 to 172 VP influence in the US House. 

How US House Control is decided

Federalists have the majority of voting power; therefore, they will hold the Speakership. 

However, with 195-172, the Federalists only have a 53% control. This means the US House is in "Toss Up.' All bills going through the house will require each player voting "aye" or "nay." Each player's VP will be their faction's influence over the vote. Had the Speaker's party more support, he would only need one or two players to support him or her. If the Speaker has dominance, over 66% of the House, then he or she would have absolute control on whether a bill passes or not. 

Up Next: Electing Focus Governors

1 hour ago, Herbert Hoover said:

And we, gentlemen, are off to the races. Let this playthrough be one of peace, love, and the Progressive Federalists dominating all! ;)

I (and VP Adams) agree here. Let's have a fantastic RP. I am totally excited for this.

1788 Focus Governor Races. 

Focus Governors represent a governor of region that is posturing themselves for the presidents, wishing to influence the Senate with Senate appointments in their region (only applicable before the Direct Election of Senators is passed), or both. One strategy is withhold from running a potentially great president or presidential candidate during a term when the incumbent president seems like he or she is likely to win two-terms. As Washington is the president, a player might want to risk wasting a Thomas Jefferson as a Focus Governor. Whereas, if this were Washington's 2nd term, it might be a good move to run Jefferson as a Focus Governor. 

If you look at the Statesman tab in the Spreadsheet, you'll see that your politicians are now color coded with the color of your faction from the Main tab. You'll notice that there's a Focus Governor value, which shows your statesman's approximate power in this specific kind of election. 

You are eligible to run one statesman for every region, provided the statesman is of that region. Regions are shown in the spreadsheet. Please copy + paste your candidates below. Please include their Focus Governor Value, as that will help me from having to look at every statesman that is running independently:

Focus Governor Election Form (Candidate Name + Their Focus Governor Value #):

New England: 

Mid-Atlantic:

Upper South:

Deep South: 

@Conservative Elector 2 @Herbert Hoover @Hestia11 @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty and @Reagan04 

New England: Arthur Fenner, who has a great executive ability of 6 and also leadership. His FGV is 7. 
Mid-Atlantic: Thomas McKean, who has a good executive ability of 5 but no affecting traits. His FGV is 5. 
Upper South: Beverly Randolph, who has a poor executive score of 2 and no helpful traits. His FGV is 2. 
Deep South: John Milton, who has a poor executive score of 2 and no helpful traits. His FGV is 2.

New England: Artemis Ward, who has an okay executive score of 4 and also leadership. FGV 5
Mid-Atlantic: John Jay, who has an excellent executive ability of 7 and no affecting traits. FGV 7
Upper South: Henry Lee III, who has a sub-par executive score of 3 and also leadership. FGV 3
Deep South: John Rutledge, who has an okay executive ability of 4 and also leadership. FGV 5

New England: John Langdon, who has a 6 for executive ability. His FGV is 7.

Mid-Atlantic: George Clinton, who has a 8 for executive ability. His FGV is 9.

Upper South: Alexander Martin, who has an 4 for executive ability. His FGV is 4.

Deep South: Charles Pinckney, who has a 6 for executive ability. His FGV is 6.

Down to @Hestia11 @WVProgressive @Reagan04 . I think my auto-moving rules will be 24 hours. This playthrough will be slower than the last since I'm updating the game as we go along. Remember, that you can appoint someone within your party to make moves for you if you know you'll be busy. 

New England: Samuel Adams who has an FGV of 7

Mid-Atlantic: Benjamin Franklin who has an FGV of 7

Upper South: Patrick Henry who has an FGV of 6

Deep South: No one

1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Upper South: Henry Lee III, who has a sub-par executive score of 3 and also leadership. FGV 3

FGV should be 4, actually! Good news for you I'm sure.

5 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

FGV should be 4, actually! Good news for you I'm sure.

Thanks

New England: None

Mid-Atlantic: Melancton Smith, who has a FGV of 1. Lol 

Upper South: James Monroe who has a FGV of 5. 

Deep South: None

7 hours ago, vcczar said:

Now it’s down to @Reagan04

New England: Samuel Huntingdon with an Executive Ability of 5 and a FGV of 5. 

Mid-Atlantic: Thomas Mifflin with an Executive Ability of 6 with Leadership for an FGV of 7. 

Upper South: None eligible

Deep South: None eligible

Alrighty, I’m going to calculate the results of the Governor elections tomorrow. 

Focus Governor "Elections"! Jeffersonian Republicans run the table! Langdon, Clinton, Henry, and Pinckney Stand Out Among Nation's Governors! Senate Likely to Pose a Problem for Washington's Administration after Appointments are Made!

New England:

A Fenner 7+5

A Ward 5+6

J Langdon 7+6 *FOCUS GOVERNOR*

S Adams 7+3

S Huntington 5+2

Mid-Atlantic:

T McKean 5+2

J Jay 7+1

G Clinton 9+4 *FOCUS GOVERNOR*

B Franklin 7+1

M Smith 1+2

T Mifflin 7+3

Upper South:

B Randolph 2+5

H Lee III 4+1

A Martin 4+4

P Henry 6+4 *FOCUS GOVERNOR*

J Monroe 5+1

Deep South:

J Milton 2+4

J Rutledge 5+5

C Pinckney 6+6 *FOCUS GOVERNOR*

Appointing US Senators!

Each Focus Governor must fill the US Senate Vacancies with Senators. The Governors must fill the spot with members of their own party (they can be statesmen of other players). Should no members of the governor's party exist for the state needing a senator, then someone of the other party can be selected. Voting Power translates to Senate influence, so you may want to look at this number when considering Senators. 

Here are the Focus Governors and the states needing Senators:

John Langdon @SilentLiberty will need to appoint two senators to each of these four states: MA, CT, RI, NH

George Clinton, also @SilentLiberty , will need to appoint two senators to each of these five states: NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD

Patrick Henry @WVProgressive will need to appoint two senators to each of these two states: VA, NC

Charles Pinckney, again @SilentLiberty, will need to appoint two senators to each of these two states: SC, GA

@SilentLiberty gains 30 pts and WVProgressive gains 10. 

You all have 24 hours to appoint senators, and then the decisions are auto-moved by me, unless you delegate to someone on your team (same party as you). 

37 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Patrick Henry @WVProgressive will need to appoint two senators to each of these two states: VA, NC

Virginia: Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison.

North Carolina: Alexander Martin, and Benjamin Hawkins.

I'm just now getting the opportunity to see the new excel sheet and rules, after dealing with some real-world issues for a while.  Looks really sharp!  

6 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I'm just now getting the opportunity to see the new excel sheet and rules, after dealing with some real-world issues for a while.  Looks really sharp!  

Thanks! I've been working hard on it. When you have the time to join, and if you have a friend to join in with you (need to keep teams even), I can add you to the game. You'll start off with fewer statesman. Alternatively, if you'd rather GM, then you can do that, and I can go to just focusing on updating/creating the game and handling most of the spreadsheet duties for you. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

John Langdon @SilentLiberty will need to appoint two senators to each of these four states: MA, CT, RI, NH

George Clinton, also @SilentLiberty , will need to appoint two senators to each of these five states: NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD

Charles Pinckney, again @SilentLiberty, will need to appoint two senators to each of these two states: SC, GA

Massachusetts: John Henry*(oops my bad he's from Maryland) Samuel Adams and Elbridge Gerry 

Connecticut: Roger Sherman and Samuel Huntington

Rhode Island: Theodore Foster and Arthur Fenner

New Hampshire: Nicholas Gilman & Josiah Bartlett 

New York: Aaron Burr and Robert Yates

New Jersey: Jonathan Dayton and John Rutherfurd

Pennsylvania: Benjamin Franklin and William Maclay

Delaware: John Dickinson and Joshua Clayton

Maryland: Luther Martin and John Henry

South Carolina: Thomas Sumter and Pierce Butler

Georgia: Abraham Baldwin and James Gunn

Edited by SilentLiberty
Switch Henry to Adams

1 minute ago, SilentLiberty said:

Massachusetts: John Henry and Elbridge Gerry 

Connecticut: Roger Sherman and Samuel Huntington

Rhode Island: Theodore Foster and Arthur Fenner

New Hampshire: Nicholas Gilman & Josiah Bartlett 

New York: Aaron Burr and Robert Yates

New Jersey: Jonathan Dayton and John Rutherfurd

Pennsylvania: Benjamin Franklin and William Maclay

Delaware: John Dickinson and Joshua Clayton

Maryland: Luther Martin and John Henry

South Carolina: Thomas Sumter and Pierce Butler

Georgia: Abraham Baldwin and James Gunn

Alrighty, Let me update the spreadsheet. 

Just now, vcczar said:

Alrighty, Let me update the spreadsheet. 

I made a quick edit, John Henry should be Samuel Adams. My apologies. 

1st US Senate Appointments Made! Jeffersonian Republicans Dominate the Senate as Predicted!

Senate Majority, who will have total control of the Senate, to be decided later. 

Up Next: Presidential Inaugural address!

@Herbert Hoover as you control George Washington, you will have to announce a platform of 4 goals. The rules for this are in the rules. I've also updated the "Active List" (look at that rather than the Master List). You may also want to look at the Issues/Events Currently Modifying the game. Also note that the Northwest Indian War is active. Consider that the US Senate is in total opposition to your Federalist allies.