270soft Forum
Conservative Elector 2

Which Trading Card Games have you played/collected?

TCG  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which TCGs have you played or collected?

• Lord of the Rings
    • Star Wars
    • Yu-Gi-Oh
    • Pokémon
    • American sports (Football, Baseball, Basketball, Ice hockey, etc.)
    • Soccer
    • Magic - The Gathering
    • Others (please comment)

Out of curiosity 

1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Out of curiosity 

Magic: the Gathering, Arcadia: the Wyld Hunt, and the Eternal Struggle, all only very briefly when I was in my '20's (which was back in the '90's). None of them held my interest long, though Arcadia held it longest, probably because I had two regular opponents to play games against at the time.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Magic: the Gathering, Arcadia: the Wyld Hunt, and the Eternal Struggle, all only very briefly when I was in my '20's (which was back in the '90's). None of them held my interest long, though Arcadia held it longest, probably because I had two regular opponents to play games against at the time.

I see, thanks! I never heard of Wyld Hunt or the Eternal Struggle to be honest.

Just now, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I see, thanks! I never heard of Wyld Hunt or the Eternal Struggle to be honest.

They were relatively short-lived, and both made by the same company. I don't think either game were active at all by even the year 2000.

I also used to have Star Trek: The Next Generation Cards and Monty Python and the Holy Grail cards. 

Baseball....only baseball......definitely only baseball. 

1st card...’86 Dave Concepcion

Best Card ‘63 Mantle

6 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Out of curiosity 

When did Ice Hokey become an "American Sport?"

Just now, HonestAbe said:

SInce you have to go there to make the big bucks 

I don't know. Have you seen the Hockey Arena we have here in Edmonton? And the riverside house of the billionaire who owns the Oilers. And most of the team's members don't whine about their salaries overly much. Besides, Canada's won every international men's hockey tournament where teams represent nations, mostly, for over a decade. But, hey, like Carl Jung said, people need a degree of self-delusion to prevent all-out madness...

27 minutes ago, Patine said:

When did Ice Hokey become an "American Sport?"

Well it is not that popular in Europe. :P 

7 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Neither is Sumo Wrestling. Does that make it, too, an American sport by default to you?

10 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

And correction, what about Eastern Europe (especially Russia) and Scandinavia?

55 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't know. Have you seen the Hockey Arena we have here in Edmonton? And the riverside house of the billionaire who owns the Oilers. And most of the team's members don't whine about their salaries overly much. Besides, Canada's won every international men's hockey tournament where teams represent nations, mostly, for over a decade. But, hey, like Carl Jung said, people need a degree of self-delusion to prevent all-out madness...

The NHL survives because of America markets. If not it would be 4 teams making a profit.  

Canadian Hockey is way better than US Hockey. I won’t argue that.  (Except Minnesota they are on par with Canada, pound for pound)

I collected Pokemon but did not like the card game nor the show. It was just popular and I wanted to fit in.

I did actually quite enjoy the early version of Yu-Gi-Oh! though, and the Star Wars cards from Revenge of the Sith, I made sure to collect them all.

Sports cards (mostly baseball but some football and a few basketball)

I also used to play a game called Star Wars Miniatures.

1 minute ago, jvikings1 said:

I also used to play a game called Star Wars Miniatures.

Which iteration? I believe more than half-a-dozen companies have been licensed, successively, since the mid-'80's to make "official" Star Wars miniatures games, and they're all notably different from each other.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

And correction, what about Eastern Europe (especially Russia) and Scandinavia?

Yeah considering the NHL video game I played once, they have competitive leagues. However, I never saw a game of these leagues in TV. In Austria or Germany (I can access German TV as well and watch it actually more often than Austrian) they rarely send ice hockey games. I only remember international tournaments and maybe once an Austrian league game (this league includes some foreign teams as well). The most popular clubs are the Vienna Capitals and EC Red Bull Salzburg, but no one I know is an avid follower of any European league or team.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Neither is Sumo Wrestling. Does that make it, too, an American sport by default to you?

I'd consider that a Japanese sport. Korea has it's similar style wrestling, it is called Ssireum or 씨름 in Hangeul.

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

Which iteration? I believe more than half-a-dozen companies have been licensed, successively, since the mid-'80's to make "official" Star Wars miniatures games, and they're all notably different from each other.

Wizards of the Coast

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Miniatures

1 minute ago, jvikings1 said:

I had some of the models, and still have the Falcon and an AT-AT Walker sitting on my desk in fact!

Honestly didn't know it was meant to be a game. Learn something new everyday.