270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

1960 Election

I'm watching the election night for 1960. The number one thing that NBC keeps repeating is that the president will no longer be a father figure, but more of a "little brother," as JFK and Nixon are apparently younger than most of their viewers. They later mention how a large margin of new people running for Congress are nearly identical: early 40s, have military experience, from the suburbs, have about 3 children. 

This might be the most boring election night I've ever watched. Chet Huntley speaks like he's dying of boredom. 1/4th of the people sound like they're mumbling. Sander Vanocur, who is surprisingly still alive, is the only person that speaks like he's had any sleep. 

JFK is beating Nixon 8-0 right now. Still early. 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm watching the election night for 1960. The number one thing that NBC keeps repeating is that the president will no longer be a father figure, but more of a "little brother," as JFK and Nixon are apparently younger than most of their viewers. They later mention how a large margin of new people running for Congress are nearly identical: early 40s, have military experience, from the suburbs, have about 3 children. 

This might be the most boring election night I've ever watched. Chet Huntley speaks like he's dying of boredom. 1/4th of the people sound like they're mumbling. Sander Vanocur, who is surprisingly still alive, is the only person that speaks like he's had any sleep. 

JFK is beating Nixon 8-0 right now. Still early. 

1960 was, if I recall, the first U.S. Presidential Election where BOTH major party candidates in the GE were born in the 20th Century...

Now I'm at the point where Nixon gives an odd quasi-concession speech even though the race isn't decided. He claims that he's addressing supporters so he can go to bed. It's 3am, and he's had 4 hours of sleep total in two days. The NBC hosts are unsure if it is a concession speech or not as Nixon spends half the time telling his supporters to rally behind JFK if JFK wins, "as the trend shows that he will." 

LBJ is at the Driskel Hotel in Austin, a place I've been inside several times. It was cool to see it on video from 1960.