270soft Forum

Approval

I know that Rasmussen is bemoaned by anyone that isn’t to the right, often critiqued and picked apart as to devalue it’s perspective.  

With that said it most recent poll has Trump up multiple points and now at 50% approval.   

Lets not forget Rass was the most accurate 2016 poll, and maybe offsets regular polls ability to gauge Trumps support from non traditional voting channels. 

Anyway begin picking it apart, but in your race to delegitimize it, at least pay attention to it.  

Another important question is whether the shift is more or less correct, regardless of absolute numbers.

So, if Rasmussen is picking up a shift upwards, do other polls mirror that?

2 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

Anyway begin picking it apart, but in your race to delegitimize it, at least pay attention to it.  

I won't give you the pleasure. :P

3 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Another important question is whether the shift is more or less correct, regardless of absolute numbers.

Exactly what other polls are showing. 

Remember even if you think it should be adjusted like 538 does Trump only needs to get to about 47% to likely win. 

6 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

2 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

Maybe a good chunk of that approval is for what he HASN'T done (started a new whole war - yet, but this obvious and blatant false flag with Iran seem iffy - and not many people seem to be falling for it - it's just too clumsily done), crashed the economy (again, yet - those spikes in commodity prices due to his ill-thought-out sudden trade wars are still a VERY real possibility), a scandal (at least one that would stick - it would probably have to hit his pocketbook or his personal image to be effective), etc., than what he HAS actually done (which, strangely, is not as much as most other post-WW2 Presidents by about three years into their tenure - not nearly so).

15 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

I know that Rasmussen is bemoaned by anyone that isn’t to the right, often critiqued and picked apart as to devalue it’s perspective.  

With that said it most recent poll has Trump up multiple points and now at 50% approval.   

Lets not forget Rass was the most accurate 2016 poll, and maybe offsets regular polls ability to gauge Trumps support from non traditional voting channels. 

Rasmussen has shown Trump at 50% several times before, often with Trump between 42%-46% in other polls. 

3 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

Remember even if you think it should be adjusted like 538 does Trump only needs to get to about 47% to likely win. 

Not everyone, or even an overwhelming number, of those who vote in "approval" of those polls end up voting for them at the ballot box, because potential electoral opponents aren't AT ALL figured into those polls, keep in mind.

16 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

Yes, so then we can say Trump's approval is going up, regardless of where exactly it is.

I'm skeptical of being able to translate a specific approval number (47%, say) to winning re-election, so I'd stick with saying higher approval ratings increase the chance of re-election. 

Having said that, at this far out, approval numbers can change a lot. What matters is where they are at in November.

2 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Yes, so then we can say Trump's approval is going up, regardless of where exactly it is.

I'm skeptical of being able to translate a specific approval number (47%, say) to winning re-election, so I'd stick with saying higher approval ratings increase the chance of re-election. 

Having said that, at this far out, approval numbers can change a lot. What matters is where they are at in November.

What do you think his approval number needs to be at for reelection?

3 hours ago, HonestAbe said:

They aren’t saying anywhere near 50%. You can’t draw a comparison between going from 38 to 42% and being at 50%, simply because both mean they’re going up. This was, and will remain, a bad poll and a bad polling agency. 

35 minutes ago, vcczar said:

What do you think his approval number needs to be at for reelection?

Depends on the strength of the challenger.

1 hour ago, Hestia11 said:

They aren’t saying anywhere near 50%. You can’t draw a comparison between going from 38 to 42% and being at 50%, simply because both mean they’re going up. This was, and will remain, a bad poll and a bad polling agency. 

You should read the comment I’m replying too first.  I’m agreeing the trend is going up not that the trend all says 50 

And yet the most accurate...interesting 

5 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

And yet the most accurate...interesting 

The most accurate in one instance. You aren’t even bringing up all the times they were wrong. So yeah, they were 1 for 1 in one circumstance but also 1 for 20 in the midterms. That’s not the most accurate by any standard. 

The most accurate in one instance. You aren’t even bringing up all the times they were wrong. So yeah, they were 1 for 1 in one circumstance but also 1 for 20 in the midterms. That’s not the most accurate by any standard. 

You sir are 100% correct (to my knowledge)....but that’s been the only election with Trump in it to date too.