270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Fundraising clearing up the picture

Buttigieg, Harris, Warren, Sanders, Biden. 

Thats your list of contenders. Of course the polls have shown this for a while, but now the money, the real divider shows its real.  I’d expect someone like Booker to drop out before the holidays to run for his Senate seat again.  

Of course on the other side the funding numbers are gawdy. But POTUS doesn’t need to share support in from the GOP so not a fair comparison. 

Swing state items to keep tabs on.  Looking at funding levels in swing states might say a lot about who should get a look.  I’ll use Michigan as an example.  A lot is made out of Bernie connecting with midwesterners and being the best choice because of that.   Buttigieg actually raised the most money from Michigan last cycle, and by a healthy margin too.  

With that said POTUS raised more money in that swing state than, Bernie, Biden, Harris, and Warren combined.  

1 hour ago, Jayavarman said:

There may still be a few additional hanger-ons beyond the five who qualify for the third debate in September.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Democratic_Party_presidential_debates_and_forums#Third_debates_(September_12–13,_2019)

The Media arm of the Rigged Electoral System has made their cut, with the Plutocratic arm weighing in through the aspect of "donations" - which are far too overvalued and overimportant in the determination, but used a grand definitive anyways, and all those "cut" will have all mainstream forums will for their voices and messages cut too, as is typical. As I said, the Rigged System decides who CAN'T win, if not predetermines who WILL win, like many "emerging democracies." But the U.S. electoral system, like those emerging democracies their Department of State like to scold, has a LOT of work to do to create a truly accountable, representative, transparent, responsible, contested, and free-and-fair electoral system. The majority of Americans resting on their laurels of having the "greatest and freest government system in the world, with no major or drastic changes needed" since 1787 has left them in the dust, with the Constitutions and government systems of a fair number of other countries producing better and more representative systems since. For instance, the United States Government does not have an Ombudsman, or other analogous office with any meaningful role. There is no BINDING (that is, that government is fully free to ignore as it sees fit) participatory role for citizens in Federal Government of any sort between elections (the VAST backlog of utter ignored petitions, some with a lot of signatures, on wethepeople.gov is a good testimony to this), the U.S. electoral commissions, on the Federal and State, are the only ones in the First World not legally mandated to be outside partisan control (and thus they aren't). I suppose taking things to Federal Courts, up to the Supreme Court, is something citizens can (and have done), but that requires a lot of resources or backing to those cases going (and keep them going), and Federal Court judges (including Supreme Court justices) are chosen by partisan patronage and spoils appointment in a manner I personally see as disgusting and an infringement on the concept of justice, and counter to the Constitutional role of the U.S. Supreme Court.

2 hours ago, Patine said:

The Media arm of the Rigged Electoral System has made their cut, with the Plutocratic arm weighing in through the aspect of "donations" - which are far too overvalued and overimportant in the determination, but used a grand definitive anyways, and all those "cut" will have all mainstream forums will for their voices and messages cut too, as is typical. As I said, the Rigged System decides who CAN'T win, if not predetermines who WILL win, like many "emerging democracies." But the U.S. electoral system, like those emerging democracies their Department of State like to scold, has a LOT of work to do to create a truly accountable, representative, transparent, responsible, contested, and free-and-fair electoral system. The majority of Americans resting on their laurels of having the "greatest and freest government system in the world, with no major or drastic changes needed" since 1787 has left them in the dust, with the Constitutions and government systems of a fair number of other countries producing better and more representative systems since. For instance, the United States Government does not have an Ombudsman, or other analogous office with any meaningful role. There is no BINDING (that is, that government is fully free to ignore as it sees fit) participatory role for citizens in Federal Government of any sort between elections (the VAST backlog of utter ignored petitions, some with a lot of signatures, on wethepeople.gov is a good testimony to this), the U.S. electoral commissions, on the Federal and State, are the only ones in the First World not legally mandated to be outside partisan control (and thus they aren't). I suppose taking things to Federal Courts, up to the Supreme Court, is something citizens can (and have done), but that requires a lot of resources or backing to those cases going (and keep them going), and Federal Court judges (including Supreme Court justices) are chosen by partisan patronage and spoils appointment in a manner I personally see as disgusting and an infringement on the concept of justice, and counter to the Constitutional role of the U.S. Supreme Court.

You should write a book. If nothing else I like your way of writing.

5 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

You should write a book. If nothing else I like your way of writing.

A blog would probably be more fitting.

5 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

If nothing else I like your way of writing.

I like it as well. However, when English is not your first language you might encounter some troubles. 

13 hours ago, HonestAbe said:

Buttigieg, Harris, Warren, Sanders, Biden. 

Thats your list of contenders. Of course the polls have shown this for a while, but now the money, the real divider shows its real.  I’d expect someone like Booker to drop out before the holidays to run for his Senate seat again.  

Of course on the other side the funding numbers are gawdy. But POTUS doesn’t need to share support in from the GOP so not a fair comparison. 

Swing state items to keep tabs on.  Looking at funding levels in swing states might say a lot about who should get a look.  I’ll use Michigan as an example.  A lot is made out of Bernie connecting with midwesterners and being the best choice because of that.   Buttigieg actually raised the most money from Michigan last cycle, and by a healthy margin too.  

With that said POTUS raised more money in that swing state than, Bernie, Biden, Harris, and Warren combined.  

Buttigieg also raised the most in Iowa and New Hampshire.

6 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Buttigieg also raised the most in Iowa and New Hampshire.

As I've said, fundraised is far too overvalued and overrated as any sort of pre-requisite for measure of raw support or too decide whether or not to invoke the cutting off of their effective message and campaign on a significantly wide-band platform that is a major power used as part of the broken electoral system. Given how fundraising actually works, it should be an insignificant indicator and measurement index.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

As I've said, fundraised is far too overvalued and overrated as any sort of pre-requisite for measure of raw support or too decide whether or not to invoke the cutting off of their effective message and campaign on a significantly wide-band platform that is a major power used as part of the broken electoral system. Given how fundraising actually works, it should be an insignificant indicator and measurement index.

I agree in principle - Buttigiegs polling numbers have been lackluster lately and I doubt fundraising will help much. Undoubtedly it could help regain some ground, but when you sit at 4% compared to Biden with 23, Warren with 18, Sanders at 16 and Harris at 15, he will need more than just $.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Great.  Except I wasn't talking about debate qualifications.  I was pointing out that Buttigieg is having great success raising money in the states that matter most, which is relevant because it does indeed cost money to run for President, and as Buttigieg is not independently wealthy like some of the other candidates, proving that he can raise that money is vital.

Just now, Hestia11 said:

I agree in principle - Buttigiegs polling numbers have been lackluster lately and I doubt fundraising will help much. Undoubtedly it could help regain some ground, but when you sit at 4% compared to Biden with 23, Warren with 18, Sanders at 16 and Harris at 15, he will need more than just $.

A month ago, Biden was in the 40's.  Three months ago, nobody had ever heard Buttigieg's name.  Most still don't know how to pronounce it.  

We still have more than six months before the first votes are cast, and six months is an expensive length of time in an election.  Fundraising will keep him alive as more people discover he exists.