Jump to content
270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Bernie Sanders rally

Recommended Posts

I just came back from a Bernie Sanders rally. I was about 10 to 15 feet from the stage (same distance I was from Obama in 2008). I’ve also seen Ted Kennedy and Ron Paul (not a fan) in the past. And Rep. Lloyd Doggett, former Rep JP Kennedy II, Then fmr Gov Jerry Brown in 1992 was the earliest .

Here are some observations from this event:

- There were about 2,000 people. 90 to 95% were white. 70% male. Most were 25-35. Next largest group was 60+. 

- Nina Turner opened for Bernie Sanders. She’s got an Obama like charisma to her. She might have a hard time rising in the increasingly more conservative Ohio however. She’s a natural speaker and can speak of the cuff in an inspiring way. 

- Bernie gave his standard passionate speech. Although he’s my favorite politician, I must say that he’s similar to Ron Paul, and likely Trump, that their charisma derives mostly from their message, but they aren’t in themselves charismatics, like Obama or Nina Turner or JFK or FDR. Sanders and Paul are also lifted by their integrity. 

- I got to shake both Bernie Sanders’s hand and Nina Turner’s hand. 

Nothing much else to report other than I’m glad I went. Here are some photos:

 

CDFE0B09-E593-46D4-AA35-E0108FCED874.jpeg

841AA3EA-D013-4BB7-9339-9C562238C045.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I just came back from a Bernie Sanders rally. I was about 10 to 15 feet from the stage (same distance I was from Obama in 2008). I’ve also seen Ted Kennedy and Ron Paul (not a fan) in the past. And Rep. Lloyd Doggett, former Rep JP Kennedy II, Then fmr Gov Jerry Brown in 1992 was the earliest .

Here are some observations from this event:

- There were about 2,000 people. 90 to 95% were white. 70% male. Most were 25-35. Next largest group was 60+. 

- Nina Turner opened for Bernie Sanders. She’s got an Obama like charisma to her. She might have a hard time rising in the increasingly more conservative Ohio however. She’s a natural speaker and can speak of the cuff in an inspiring way. 

- Bernie gave his standard passionate speech. Although he’s my favorite politician, I must say that he’s similar to Ron Paul, and likely Trump, that their charisma derives mostly from their message, but they aren’t in themselves charismatics, like Obama or Nina Turner or JFK or FDR. Sanders and Paul are also lifted by their integrity. 

- I got to shake both Bernie Sanders’s hand and Nina Turner’s hand. 

Nothing much else to report other than I’m glad I went. Here are some photos:

 

CDFE0B09-E593-46D4-AA35-E0108FCED874.jpeg

841AA3EA-D013-4BB7-9339-9C562238C045.jpeg

How was seeing Ted Kennedy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Dr. Insano said:

How was seeing Ted Kennedy? 

It was really cool. Even though he was a year away from death he was at 200% energy, he didn't hold anything back when speaking. This, despite the crowd only being about 500 people and in Texas. It was sort of an old school barnstorming for Obama during the primaries speech. He compared Obama to his two brothers. Apparently it was Ted Kennedy's first time back to TX since JFK was assassinated in TX. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to brush Mike Pence's hand once. Pretty cool you got to see the man that close. I had to stand the entire time (too crowded for chairs, more people than they thought showed) and I was like 30 feet away (got there way early).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I got to brush Mike Pence's hand once. Pretty cool you got to see the man that close. I had to stand the entire time (too crowded for chairs, more people than they thought showed) and I was like 30 feet away (got there way early).

I don't know. Self-righteous would-be theocrats who don't even remotely come close to properly following the religion they claim to advocate are pretty repugnant types to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't know. Self-righteous would-be theocrats who don't even remotely come close to properly following the religion they claim to advocate are pretty repugnant types to me.

And you'd think a self-defined Socialist wouldn't belong in the 1% and own three Summer homes but i'm just as confused as you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was within 200 feet of Beto twice. I met Ron Paul twice, and spoke with him once. I also met Kay Bailey Hutchinson, and Rick Perry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

And you'd think a self-defined Socialist wouldn't belong in the 1% and own three Summer homes but i'm just as confused as you.

"Self-defined" is the key. He's actually, by global definition, a mild Social Democrat. By proper, global definition, the United States has a very weak left-wing-of-the-spectrum political presence. The Democratic Party of the United States is very Centrist, with slightly Left-leaning tendencies, moreso socially than in the matters that define Socialism and Social Democracy, despite uneducated and manipulative Fox and Breitbart News Pundits and Republican ideologues portraying them as Far-Left Ultra-Progressives and outright Communists. The average American's view of the political spectrum is VERY warbled and distorted, to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Harris/Ernst 2020 said:

I met Ron Paul twice, and spoke with him once.

nutt

What was it like talking to God himself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

nutt

What was it like talking to God himself?

Politicians are not God. Nor are musicians, athletes, actors, or other celebrities. You're acting like an immature teenager... Oh, wait, you are. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

nutt

What was it like talking to God himself?

Ron Paul didn’t have any appeal to me when I saw him in person. He seemed kinda stuck in the past. I most objected when he kept calling Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid “progressives.” After he did that about 5 times, I had enough of his misleading propaganda, told my friends I had to go, and took off. I stayed for most of it. Glad I went, if only to see him in person, but he was backward, obviously misleading, and had no appeal for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

And you'd think a self-defined Socialist wouldn't belong in the 1% and own three Summer homes but i'm just as confused as you.

Such a silly argument the right constantly throws. FDR and JFK were incredibly rich but had policies that favor the middle class. He's said multiple times he'd be happy to pay more in taxes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vcczar said:

It was really cool. Even though he was a year away from death he was at 200% energy, he didn't hold anything back when speaking. This, despite the crowd only being about 500 people and in Texas. It was sort of an old school barnstorming for Obama during the primaries speech. He compared Obama to his two brothers. Apparently it was Ted Kennedy's first time back to TX since JFK was assassinated in TX. 

That's so awesome, the most known politicians I've met are Dennis Kucinich in 2018, John Kasich in 2011 in 8th grade, and John Glenn when I was about 7 or 8 in 2006.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dr. Insano said:

That's so awesome, the most known politicians I've met are Dennis Kucinich in 2018, John Kasich in 2011 in 8th grade, and John Glenn when I was about 7 or 8 in 2006.

I’d like to meet Kucinich. He’s one of my top 5 favorite US politicians in history probably 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I’d like to meet Kucinich. He’s one of my top 5 favorite US politicians in history probably 

He was so cool, he was actually at a fundraiser recently for Tara Samples (his running mate in 201😎 I wish I could have gone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

nutt

What was it like talking to God himself?

I honestly don't remember. A family member of mine was helping set up a debate for him and a few others so I got to shake his hand, but I don't remember much else. I believe that this was in 2010 when he was running for reelection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at a bunch of Bernie rallies in 2016,including the one i think in Portsmouth NH where he endorsed Hillary.I attended even more Obama rallies in 2008.I think i attended at least one rally in every election since 1992.I personally met and talked to only Ralph Nader and Barbara Bush.I shook Bernies hand on 4 different ocasions but never had the opportunity to talk more with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HonestAbe said:

Why do you think Bernie fairs so poorly with women voters?

My wife was passionately supporting him in 2016.  She's starting to lose interest in supporting him in 2020, with so many other options.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HonestAbe said:

Why do you think Bernie fairs so poorly with women voters?

I don't think he fairs poorly with women, I just think men get more excited about Sanders. Part of this is because he faced a woman in 2016, who obviously had more support among women Democrats. In 2020, more women like Harris, Warren, and Biden (for some reason women like him). Men are focused more on Biden, Sanders, Buttigieg right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that was interesting about this Sanders rally is that he never once mentioned Trump, never once mentions that he was running for president, never once mentioned his website or donations, and never once talked about himself. He talked exclusively about hospitals, healthcare, and other people struggling to meet their medical needs, and people that died because of a lack of access to healthcare. He also never once mentioned Democrats, Republicans, or Socialists. The only people he villified were real estate billionaires that are trying to take hospitals and convert them into luxury condos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
16 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I don't think he fairs poorly with women, I just think men get more excited about Sanders. Part of this is because he faced a woman in 2016, who obviously had more support among women Democrats. In 2020, more women like Harris, Warren, and Biden (for some reason women like him). Men are focused more on Biden, Sanders, Buttigieg right now. 

I think your perspective is insightful. But I’d argue if more women support other candidates than equates to doing poorly with women. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
15 minutes ago, vcczar said:

One thing that was interesting about this Sanders rally is that he never once mentioned Trump, never once mentions that he was running for president, never once mentioned his website or donations, and never once talked about himself. He talked exclusively about hospitals, healthcare, and other people struggling to meet their medical needs, and people that died because of a lack of access to healthcare. He also never once mentioned Democrats, Republicans, or Socialists. The only people he villified were real estate billionaires that are trying to take hospitals and convert them into luxury condos. 

So in other words just rereading the ‘16 script.  This might explain the reduced excitement for Bernie, and why the calls of him being out of touch have some validity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HonestAbe said:

I think your perspective is insightful. But I’d argue if more women support other candidates than equates to doing poorly with women. 

That might be true with the case of Biden having more support among women than Sanders, but I think Sanders is still #2 in support among male candidates. It would be hard for a male to compete with a competitive woman for women votes, considering they’re yet to get a president of their gender. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HonestAbe said:

So in other words just rereading the ‘16 script.  This might explain the reduced excitement for Bernie, and why the calls of him being out of touch have some validity. 

No really, he was talking specifically of hospitals in 2019 that are in danger or closing. The speech was in front of a hospital in danger of closing. This is a current issue. It wasn’t out of touch because it’s the people complaining about the billionaire trying to turn it into condors. 2,500 workers and 2,500 people residing there (or something like that) plus people in the neighborhood are fighting to keep it open. You can’t be more in touch than helping the people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...