270soft Forum
SirLagsalott

Trump tells AOC, Tlaib, Pressley, Omar to “go back” to the “broken and crime infested places from which they came”

Worthy of noting: they are all American citizens and only one of the four he’s referring to, Omar, was not born in the U.S. She moved when she was 10. 

8 minutes ago, SirLagsalott said:

Worthy of noting: they are all American citizens and only one of the four he’s referring to, Omar, was not born in the U.S. She moved when she was 10. 

Of course, Trump, in his privileged, detached, bubble of the "high life" he's lived in all his life has probably never seen, personally, the really "broken, crime-infested" parts of the U.S., not even the many and notorious in his own home city, and most being such due to the fiscal, judicial, and social (or anti-social) policies of Republican Presidents and law-makers, ESPECIALLY his idol, Reagan...

1 hour ago, SirLagsalott said:

This should be indefensible, but I don’t think anything is anymore sadly.

Guys, I'm starting to think he might be racist. 

9 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Guys, I'm starting to think he might be racist. 

You don't say? And I was almost convinced he only supported and enabled, and was supported by, racists, was couldn't possibly be one himself... :P

It seems even more racist that he goes on this rant on the day of the Ice Raids (21st century Palmer Raids). 

4 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

It reflects poorly on him. 

As obvious as the people calling him a racist. 

Though ultimately I don't think this event will have any effect on him, which reflects poorly on everyone.

"Trump tells AOC, Tlaib, Pressley, Omar"

I don't believe he mentioned anyone by name. The only one who fits the description is Omar.

Why did he use a plural? Perhaps he's misinformed (thinks Tlaib is foreign-born, for example). I doubt it. Probably to intentionally gin up press. Trump does this regularly - exaggerating something so everyone will talk about how his exaggeration is only partially true, hence driving home his message.

He did this again and again in the 2016 campaign. Remember 'thousands and thousands of Muslims celebrating after 9/11'? I remember watching the speech and noting how he emphasized the number. Yet we only have documented cases of dozens in the U.S.

So, perhaps Trump wants people talking about Omar, and this is the technique he's using to get people to talk about it?

13 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I don't believe he mentioned anyone by name. The only one who fits the description is Omar.

Why did he use a plural? Perhaps he's misinformed (thinks Tlaib is foreign-born, for example). I doubt it. Probably to intentionally gin up press. Trump does this regularly - exaggerating something so everyone will talk about how his exaggeration is only partially true, hence driving home his message.

He did this again and again in the 2016 campaign. Remember 'thousands and thousands of Muslims celebrating after 9/11'? I remember watching the speech and noting how he emphasized the number. Yet we only have documented cases of dozens in the U.S.

So, perhaps Trump wants people talking about Omar, and this is the technique he's using to get people to talk about it?

I actually think this might be the most likely. Trump does do things like this all the time and it's how he is constantly in the headlines, but the headlines are always changing. 

It still doesn't make it acceptable or anything but I would agree that is the reason he's doing it. 

Timing up to match the ICE raids isn’t an accident.  

Am I surprised? Not at all.

Do I agree with this critics? No, because rethink the situation. Do I support conservative Republicans originating from countries with alleged flaws in their system? Yes, I do. Bobby Jindal for example.

Do I support Trump's extensive use of twitter? No absolutely not. I think it's unpresidential to use this technology to communicate to the public, but obviously it makes you more successful....

Am I worried, this will hit Trump negatively? No, the Billy Bush tape was the last time, when I was worried. 

What do I think about the above named four congresswomen? I do not view them favorable, but even Nancy Pelosi has her problems with them and I would highly recommend primary challenges from better Democrats. Republicans do this extensively, look at Iowa 4th and Steve King. What I detest the most is Omar's and Tlaib's anti-Israel stance (maybe AOC and Pressley also have a record here, I don't know for sure.), which makes them from my point of view, totally unacceptable in the US congress. 

What would be my strategy? Target them for their views and not for their descent. I still strongly believe politics should not be personal.

@vcczar tagging you here, because you tagged me.

I count seven current congresswomen who were born outside the US.  He's probably not referring to Diana DeGette or Susan Wild, who were born in Japan and Germany to American parents.  That leaves Pramila Jayapal (India), Debbie Mucarsel-Powell (Ecuador), Stephanie Murphy (Vietnam), Ilhan Omar (Somalia), and Norma Torres (Guatemala).  

From what I think to know, Stephanie Murphy is not really a progressive. I remember her being a blue-dog democrat, which is the reason I view her quite favorable among Democrats (other examples are Dan Lipinski (who I had voted for at least in 2018) and Jim Cooper)

2 hours ago, SilentLiberty said:

I actually think this might be the most likely. Trump does do things like this all the time and it's how he is constantly in the headlines, but the headlines are always changing. 

It still doesn't make it acceptable or anything but I would agree that is the reason he's doing it. 

I concur as to the reason he is doing it. He wants to get his base and the news riled up. However, that doesn't mean it's not a racist statement. It's obvious who he was referring to, and it's one of the most blatantly unamerican tweets he has made since his presidency began. 

(I understand you don't agree with his statement and also condemn it, I'm just adding my two cents! :) )

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

I'm just wondering what @ThePotatoWalrus @HonestAbe @servo75 @jvikings1 @Conservative Elector 2 @Reagan04 and other conservatives on this forum think of this. 

Not a conservative - Libertarian populist. Not sure how he could be referring to AOC though considering she grew up in an upper-middle class family in Yorktown Heights. Trump isn't wrong when he says the US is the best country in the world, and he sure as hell isn't wrong when he looks at countries like Somalia (one of the kidnapping and murder capitals of the world) and India (where people literally shit in the streets) and calls them shitholes.

HONK HONK

19 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Not a conservative - Libertarian populist. Not sure how he could be referring to AOC though considering she grew up in an upper-middle class family in Yorktown Heights. Trump isn't wrong when he says the US is the best country in the world, and he sure as hell isn't wrong when he looks at countries like Somalia (one of the kidnapping and murder capitals of the world) and India (where people literally shit in the streets) and calls them shitholes.

HONK HONK

Perhaps the top nation in a few areas - but not nearly all. Life expectancy, health and welfare, job security, average REAL job and advancement opportunities, average level of education, average citizen's happiness and contentedness, pension and unemployment support security, feeling of safety day-to-day, women's rights and advancement opportunities, visible minority's rights and advancement opportunities, LGBTQ rights and advancement opportunities, fair judicial procedures, reliable needed government services in rural areas and derelict neighbourhoods, REAL choice of leaders in TRULY contested, free-and-fair elections, transparency, accountability, and responsibility of government to it's citizens, professional, restrained, and law-abiding behaviour by law-enforcement, and respect abroad could all use a LOT of work and all fall significantly short of top slots in the world...

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Perhaps the top nation in a few areas - but not nearly all. Life expectancy, health and welfare, job security, average REAL job and advancement opportunities, average level of education, average citizen's happiness and contentedness, pension and unemployment support security, feeling of safety day-to-day, women's rights and advancement opportunities, visible minority's rights and advancement opportunities, LGBTQ rights and advancement opportunities, fair judicial procedures, reliable needed government services in rural areas and derelict neighbourhoods, REAL choice of leaders in TRULY contested, free-and-fair elections, transparency, accountability, and responsibility of government to it's citizens, professional, restrained, and law-abiding behaviour by law-enforcement, and respect abroad could all use a LOT of work and all fall significantly short of top slots in the world...

Yeah but I went for a night jog the other day and didn't get abducted by Ak47-waving, shirtless pirates or step in a literal pile of human excrement so I'd say we're a lot better than them. Hell, we're better than them in literally every category you mentioned. LGBT rights, police fairness, employment discrimination, life expectany, etc. etc. Does this country need work? Absolutely. There never has been and never will be a perfect government but the US (and hell, even Canada) are pretty close.

Just now, ThePotatoWalrus said:

step in a literal pile of human excrement 

Well...I don't know if you can say that about everywhere in the US.

1 minute ago, SilentLiberty said:

fair

4 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Yeah but I went for a night jog the other day and didn't get abducted by Ak47 wearing, shirtless pirates or step in a literal pile of human excrement so I'd say we're a lot better than them. Hell, we're better than them in literally every category you mentioned. LGBT rights, police fairness, employment discrimination, life expectany, etc. etc. Does this country need work? Absolutely. There never has been and never will be a perfect government but the US (and hell, even Canada) are pretty close.

Still, I consider living in Canada far superior to potentially living in the U.S. in all ways that matter to me. And you're argument above is more akin to a 4th Century West Roman saying, "Rome is not what it used to be, but still the Eternal City, and it's better than being a Hun or a Visigoth - we just won't compare ourselves to Constantinople and our self-delusion will be fine."

18 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

pocket sand!!

6 hours ago, admin_270 said:

The implication was he was talking about the so-called “Progressive Squad” of those four congresswomen because he specifically mentioned the Pelosi feud - it was with those 4. They also all happen to be ethnic minorities which I assumed was why he targeted them with the “go back to your country” comments.