270soft Forum
vcczar

Trump Ideology Poll

Trump Ideology Poll  

19 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to place Trump in one of these three ideologies, where would you place him?

• Moderate (Often bipartisan but is generally fiscally conservative and generally socially conservative; accepts popular liberal programs, even if reluctantly)
    • Conservative (Generally tows the party line with fiscal conservative and social conservative legislation and actions)
    • Traditionalist (Attempts to promote legislation and approve actions that aim to revert the country to an idealize past)

19 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

Can you tell me in what context you are using the world “idealize”

You mean "word"? I'll let the dictionary define the word, "regard or represent as perfect or better than in reality."

7 hours ago, Patine said:

I actually have to agree with you here. And, before 1999 he was a Democrat - and good friends with the Clintons - and from 1999 to 2013 or 2014, he was a card-holding member of the Reform Party founded by the late Ross Perot, and had a private jet made up in Reform Party colours and logo for a campaign for New York Governor for that party in 2005 that never ended up happening, and was on a nomination short list for the Reform Party in the 2000 Presidential Election, but stepped aside for Buchanan. Great party loyalty, eh? :P

Also, his whole campaign was about pandering to the zeitgeist and vitriolic attacks, mixed with highly unrealistic promises, personal insults toward political opponents, and endless uninformed statements and outright lies, and his Presidency has been mostly flip-flopping and the inexplicable trade wars I still believe will ruin his "good economy" advantage all his re-election statistics are predicated on when commodity prices hike. He has no personal ideology of any visible sort, and is not truly, personally, in line with any of the major camps of the Republican Party - which effectively betrayed and abandoned the ideological convictions and values they claim to hold so dear by nominating him in the first place.

@vcczar I stand by my point of view in my response to one of @Actinguy's posts here, I'm afraid.

35 minutes ago, Patine said:

@vcczar I stand by my point of view in my response to one of @Actinguy's posts here, I'm afraid.

I don’t think Trump has any real ideology outside himself. But he’s definitely postured himself as an ideology since 2016. 

I wanted to vote for Traditionalist 

I could make a program out of this game but honestly my brain caved in when I looked at the spreadsheet for it. 

1 hour ago, Rodja said:

I wanted to vote for Traditionalist 

But he's not even remotely dogmatic enough to qualify as a true Traditionalist.

4 hours ago, Patine said:

But he's not even remotely dogmatic enough to qualify as a true Traditionalist.

Hes a narcissist idiot and demagouge  with no true ideals.His actions most fit in this label though.

12 hours ago, vcczar said:

You mean "word"? I'll let the dictionary define the word, "regard or represent as perfect or better than in reality."

No I asked the context not the definition.  

2 hours ago, Rodja said:

Hes a narcissist idiot and demagouge  with no true ideals.His actions most fit in this label though.

That's what I was pointing out to @vcczar.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

That's what I was pointing out to @vcczar.

I think VCC knows.  But as he said, he needs to assign a category to Trump for purposes of the game.  Creating a whole new one just for Trump doesn't really work.

I think consensus here is easily that he at least pretends to be a traditionalist.

33 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I think VCC knows.  But as he said, he needs to assign a category to Trump for purposes of the game.  Creating a whole new one just for Trump doesn't really work.

I think consensus here is easily that he at least pretends to be a traditionalist.

Well, if a flamboyant, amoral, irreverent showman whose thrice married and twice divorced, with no known religious affiliation of any significance that give any more than lip and salvation jokes about and doesn't even know American history properly is viewed as a "traditionalist," or fools anyone, by pretense, into believing he is, the U.S. electorate is in a sorry state indeed. And I don't say that as a nasty insult, but an observation of a unfortunately sad fact that really shouldn't be...

Just now, Patine said:

Well, if a flamboyant, amoral, irreverent showman whose thrice married and twice divorced, with no known religious affiliation of any significance that give any more than lip and salvation jokes about and doesn't even know American history properly is viewed as a "traditionalist," or fools anyone, by pretense, into believing he is, the U.S. electorate is in a sorry state indeed. And I don't say that as a nasty insult, but an observation of a unfortunately sad fact that really shouldn't be...

I actually agree entirely.  I'm sure so does VCC and most others in this thread.  But given that we all agree that he doesn't actually have political beliefs -- just ones that he manipulates for his own personal gain -- the ones he tends to manipulate for his gain the most is traditionalist.  

Trump is about 'winning'. For example, in immigration he wants a more meritocratic system (such as Canada or Australia have) because that will help the U.S. to win. In trade, he wants what will help the U.S. win (understood in a populist sense - lots of jobs, rising standards of living for a large swath of the population), so he rejects unfettered free trade for 'fair trade'.

I think at one level Trump's ideology is largely that he rejects ideologies, looking instead for results. However, I think his ideology can be summarized as meritocracy, populism, nationalism.

2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Trump is about 'winning'. For example, in immigration he wants a more meritocratic system (such as Canada or Australia have) because that will help the U.S. to win. In trade, he wants what will help the U.S. win (understood in a populist sense - lots of jobs, rising standards of living for a large swath of the population), so he rejects unfettered free trade for 'fair trade'.

I think at one level Trump's ideology is largely that he rejects ideologies, looking instead for results. However, I think his ideology can be summarized as meritocracy, populism, nationalism.

So, meritocracy is why he was pushing early on to get his slimy son-in-law and the site owner of a "news times" (the term is generous - even Fox News is more deserving) chalk full of bad, bigoted stereotypes, toxic nostalgia and gross historical revisionism, far-right-wing conspiracy theories, and complete and blatant misinformation into his initial administration - it's because they deserved it on merit and accomplishment, and not pure nepotistic kick-backs and rewards for vitriolic lies to mobilize one of the vilest socio-political groups in the country to his banner, respectively?

26 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

That's an interesting take, but I'm not sure that the people he's chosen for his cabinet support this idea that he values meritocracy.

How did Jared Kuschner end up in charge of middle east peace negotiations?

AND Solving our opioid epidemic?

AND negotiations with Mexico?

AND negotiations with China?

AND reforming Veteran healthcare?

AND reforming criminal justice system?

AND reinventing the entire government to make it look like a business?

Mind you, these are just the assignments he was given within the first two months of Trump taking office.

I imagine his portfolio has only continued to grown, given his outstanding success in all seven of those areas.

Trump doesn't value merit.  He values loyalty and kiss-assery.

Trump values loyalty over resume 

JFK was the same way.  His inner circle had his ear not his appointments. Salinger, O’Donnell, obviously Bobby, and a couple others. 

2 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

Trump values loyalty over resume 

JFK was the same way.  His inner circle had his ear not his appointments. Salinger, O’Donnell, obviously Bobby, and a couple others. 

So do most corrupt, tin pot Third World despots...

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

So do most corrupt, tin pot Third World despots...

You posses zero data that proves that compared to leaders of developed nations. Just spouting hyperbole to act smart again. 

5 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

You posses zero data that proves that compared to leaders of developed nations. Just spouting hyperbole to act smart again. 

You're rebuttal shows you either don't get the point of what I'm saying, are completely unaccustomed to the (quite simple and common) rhetoric I'm using, or are just being obnoxiously obtuse or trying to deflect a valid point with an immature and coarse attempt at pedantry. YOU re the one trying to act smart - but you come across as being very smart. Also, how do you KNOW what data I happen to possess?

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

I don’t think he is a meritocrat when you consider his political appointments. Kushner, Tillerson, DeVos, Carson, Perry. Part of a meritocracy is having the lead meritocrat appointing people by merit. JQ Adams was a meritocrat. 

10 hours ago, SirLagsalott said:

I could make a program out of this game but honestly my brain caved in when I looked at the spreadsheet for it. 

Why’s that?

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

You're rebuttal shows you either don't get the point of what I'm saying, are completely unaccustomed to the (quite simple and common) rhetoric I'm using, or are just being obnoxiously obtuse or trying to deflect a valid point with an immature and coarse attempt at pedantry. YOU re the one trying to act smart - but you come across as being very smart. Also, how do you KNOW what data I happen to possess?

You’re adorable 

12 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I don’t think he is a meritocrat when you consider his political appointments. Kushner, Tillerson, DeVos, Carson, Perry. Part of a meritocracy is having the lead meritocrat appointing people by merit. JQ Adams was a meritocrat. 

I'm talking about his broad views about policies for society. Look at immigration, trade, affirmative action.

However, loyalty and kick-assery *are* important facets in a Cabinet member. Trump has been pretty quick in firing people who weren't living up to his standards.

Just now, admin_270 said:

I'm talking about his broad views about policies for society. Look at immigration, trade, affirmative action.

However, loyalty and kick-assery *are* important facets in a Cabinet member. Trump has been pretty quick in firing people who weren't living up to his standards.

For Trump.  Others have put merit first.  Love her or hate her, but the reason Hillary Clinton was chosen for Secretary of State was not her deep love and respect for Barack Obama.

2 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Love her or hate her, but the reason Hillary Clinton was chosen for Secretary of State was not her deep love and respect for Barack Obama

Are you saying Obama chose Hillary Clinton as SoS for reasons of merit?