270soft Forum
vcczar

Trump Ideology Poll

Trump Ideology Poll  

19 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to place Trump in one of these three ideologies, where would you place him?

• Moderate (Often bipartisan but is generally fiscally conservative and generally socially conservative; accepts popular liberal programs, even if reluctantly)
    • Conservative (Generally tows the party line with fiscal conservative and social conservative legislation and actions)
    • Traditionalist (Attempts to promote legislation and approve actions that aim to revert the country to an idealize past)

This is a new poll. I'm actually working on a project, and need to force Trump into one of these three categories. I know there will be objections to Trump being in any of these, but these are your options. 

This was an easy choice only because specific things in the first two were inaccurate for Trump: he's not often bipartisan and he's not a fiscal conservative. That left me with traditionalist.

I'm not sure that Trump himself has any ideology.  I think he surrounds himself with sycophants who tell him that he's the greatest, and then easily manipulate him into parroting back when they're whispering in his ear. 

I could easily see Trump being a Democrat instead, had Democrats been willing to pump his ego the way Republicans have.  The actual ideas and policies don't matter -- you just have to tell him he's the greatest, and he'll believe that you're a genius.  

That said, the people whispering in his ear are traditionalists.

19 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Why do you want to put him in one of those categories?

I'm trying to make a game and I have to fit Trump with the ideologies that exist in the game (Progressive, Liberal, Moderate, Conservative, Traditionalist). I had "Fringe" as an option, but there are so few of them that it just complicates matters. There are other factors--called traits-- in the game that kind of modify these ideologies. For instance, Trump would have Populist, which is a trait in my game rather than an ideology. 

36 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I'm not sure that Trump himself has any ideology.  I think he surrounds himself with sycophants who tell him that he's the greatest, and then easily manipulate him into parroting back when they're whispering in his ear. 

I could easily see Trump being a Democrat instead, had Democrats been willing to pump his ego the way Republicans have.  The actual ideas and policies don't matter -- you just have to tell him he's the greatest, and he'll believe that you're a genius.  

That said, the people whispering in his ear are traditionalists.

I actually have to agree with you here. And, before 1999 he was a Democrat - and good friends with the Clintons - and from 1999 to 2013 or 2014, he was a card-holding member of the Reform Party founded by the late Ross Perot, and had a private jet made up in Reform Party colours and logo for a campaign for New York Governor for that party in 2005 that never ended up happening, and was on a nomination short list for the Reform Party in the 2000 Presidential Election, but stepped aside for Buchanan. Great party loyalty, eh? :P

Also, his whole campaign was about pandering to the zeitgeist and vitriolic attacks, mixed with highly unrealistic promises, personal insults toward political opponents, and endless uninformed statements and outright lies, and his Presidency has been mostly flip-flopping and the inexplicable trade wars I still believe will ruin his "good economy" advantage all his re-election statistics are predicated on when commodity prices hike. He has no personal ideology of any visible sort, and is not truly, personally, in line with any of the major camps of the Republican Party - which effectively betrayed and abandoned the ideological convictions and values they claim to hold so dear by nominating him in the first place.

46 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm trying to make a game and I have to fit Trump with the ideologies that exist in the game (Progressive, Liberal, Moderate, Conservative, Traditionalist). I had "Fringe" as an option, but there are so few of them that it just complicates matters. There are other factors--called traits-- in the game that kind of modify these ideologies. For instance, Trump would have Populist, which is a trait in my game rather than an ideology. 

Is this like an update to that Presidential card game or is this a separate project?

57 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Progressive, Liberal, Moderate, Conservative, Traditionalist)

This reminds me of 538's Venn diagram for the 2016 Republican primaries - Trump fit nowhere. :)

What does Liberal mean in the game?

26 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Is this like an update to that Presidential card game or is this a separate project?

This is different. It's not a card game. I'm basically trying to make a computer game while having no basic computer programming/developing skills. Once I type up how everything is suppose to work and have all the non-coding information for the game typed up, I'll "sell" it (most likely just give it away for free) to whichever PC game company will seriously attempt to create it. Obviously, Anthony will have first dibs to look at it to see if he wants it. 

18 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

This reminds me of 538's Venn diagram for the 2016 Republican primaries - Trump fit nowhere. :)

What does Liberal mean in the game?

Yeah, Trump doesn't fit anywere. "Liberal" roughly fits this definition (although not all parts must apply). A liberal is someone that maintains and defends the establishments and ideals of the Progressive Age and the New Deal, but often shies away from reform within this liberal ideal. A progressive seeks to both reform and expand upon this. A moderate seeks bipartisan support in working within and/or around programs that were established during these ages and inspired by them. 

So I'm not using Liberal in the Free Trade or Protectionism sense. It's more in regards to willingness to spend federal money in an effort to give everyone an equal chance at "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."  

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

This is different. It's not a card game. I'm basically trying to make a computer game while having no basic computer programming/developing skills. Once I type up how everything is suppose to work and have all the non-coding information for the game typed up, I'll "sell" it (most likely just give it away for free) to whichever PC game company will seriously attempt to create it. Obviously, Anthony will have first dibs to look at it to see if he wants it.

That's a good idea, and even if you do give it away for free, hopefully that means we all get an actually decent potus-sim to play. Unfortunately "idea guys" are not in big demand in the industry apparently and since it's such a niche genre few companies may take the risk (however with election hype approaching i'm sure you won't have trouble finding a company or two looking to cash in on that). Best of luck. Really hope this happens. I've wanted to develop a political project for a while but I can't think of anything on a small enough scale that I could realistically accomplish without losing motivation in.

Just now, ThePotatoWalrus said:

That's a good idea, and even if you do give it away for free, hopefully that means we all get an actually decent potus-sim to play. Unfortunately "idea guys" are not in big demand in the industry apparently and since it's such a niche genre few companies may take the risk (however with election hype approaching i'm sure you won't have trouble finding a company or two looking to cash in on that). Best of luck. Really hope this happens. I've wanted to develop a political project for a while but I can't think of anything on a small enough scale that I could realistically accomplish without losing motivation in.

I've been helping alpha test it with a few others on this forum -- it's crazy detailed and a ton of fun.  

Just now, Actinguy said:

I've been helping alpha test it with a few others on this forum -- it's crazy detailed and a ton of fun.  

That's awesome! I don't really follow the play-by-play as much as I should. What's the thread?

2 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

That's awesome! I don't really follow the play-by-play as much as I should. What's the thread?

http://270soft.ipbhost.com/topic/15950-a/

It's probably a little hard to follow without seeing the rules or the excel sheets with all the statesmen and other information, but that's enough to give you an idea at least, maybe.

35 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

He’s none of those, he’s a populist

I’m guess you didn’t read the thread. 

To make it easier, would he better classified as a populist moderate, populist conservative, or a populist traditionalist?

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

would he better classified as a populist moderate, populist conservative, or a populist traditionalist

Strange enough to say, but if those are the choices, and given your definitions above, I would say populist traditionalist.

14 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Strange enough to say, but if those are the choices, and given your definitions above, I would say populist traditionalist.

I was thinking the same thing. 

11 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I was thinking the same thing. 

I originally chose moderate but I suppose traditionalist fits more after thinking about it.