270soft Forum
Hestia11

Senate News

Democrats have been getting good Senate news recently (if unexpected) in places they badly needed it. Kris Kobach is running in Kansas, who managed to lose the governorship to a Democrat. Roy Moore is running in Alabama again, but it is unsure if he can win the primary. MJ Hegar is running a good campaign in Texas, and Amy McGrath is running against McConnell in Kentucky. Schumer needed this badly.

Schumer needs them to win, not run.  Evan Bayh ran last cycle in Indiana and got hammered. 

19 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

Schumer needs them to win, not run.  Evan Bayh ran last cycle in Indiana and got hammered. 

Some are going to win. The first step is finding candidates that can do that.

1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

Some are going to win. The first step is finding candidates that can do that.

Agreed, but the luckier step is your opposition choosing candidates who can not.  Kobach and Moore are spectacularly poor candidates -- Moore is a double whammy, because the only thing worse for Republicans than Moore losing the election might be Moore WINNING the election and becoming an official representation of the current Republican Party.

1 hour ago, Hestia11 said:

Democrats have been getting good Senate news recently (if unexpected) in places they badly needed it. Kris Kobach is running in Kansas, who managed to lose the governorship to a Democrat. Roy Moore is running in Alabama again, but it is unsure if he can win the primary. MJ Hegar is running a good campaign in Texas, and Amy McGrath is running against McConnell in Kentucky. Schumer needed this badly.

Lets not forget that North Carolina is seen as a competitive state right now. That said, the biggest surprise-given its recent blue trend- is Georgia and its lacking of a strong Democratic candidate. 

I'm skeptical of Moore's chances - Republicans in Alabama know he lost an almost un-lose-able election last time and Trump is now explicitly against him.

I read about Kobach's announcement today morning. I was not happy because of his defeat in Kansas. I hope Colyer jumps into the race as well. 

When it comes to Moore I would certainly choose any other Republican over him. Currently I root for Tuberville, but I hope either Strange or Session get into that race as well.

5 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I hope either Strange or Session get into that race as well

Has there been any recent indication by Sessions that he will enter the race? That would be mighty interesting.

5 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Has there been any recent indication by Sessions that he will enter the race? That would be mighty interesting.

Sen. Shelby said in a recent interview that Sessions did not rule out the possibility.

https://news.yahoo.com/latest-shelby-says-sessions-hasnt-214258676.html

If he did, I'm guessing he would become the favourite off the bat. At the same time, he would be a high profile target for Dems.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:40 AM, Hestia11 said:

I think Kobach and Moore win with Trump on the ballot, regardless of their weaknesses.

Also, McGrath is going to get wrecked by McConnell (especially with Trump on the ballot), and Democrats should avoid pumping money in that race.

On 7/9/2019 at 1:12 PM, admin_270 said:

On 7/9/2019 at 1:21 PM, admin_270 said:

If he did, I'm guessing he would become the favourite off the bat. At the same time, he would be a high profile target for Dems.

2 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I think Kobach and Moore win with Trump on the ballot, regardless of their weaknesses.

Also, McGrath is going to get wrecked by McConnell (especially with Trump on the ballot), and Democrats should avoid pumping money in that race.

I think Moore loses for sure. I think Sessions wins for sure. Jones needs Moore to be the nominee. If Sessions runs, he needs Trump to support. I think The deplorable Kobach is more likely to win than lose. I also think McGrath loses. These elections are too partisan for Dems to win. Jones also is legislation more like this is a one time shot only. I think he does best Moore but gets killed by Sessions or anyone else.  

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I think Moore loses for sure. I think Sessions wins for sure. Jones needs Moore to be the nominee. If Sessions runs, he needs Trump to support. I think The deplorable Kobach is more likely to win than lose. I also think McGrath loses. These elections are too partisan for Dems to win. Jones also is legislation more like this is a one time shot only. I think he does best Moore but gets killed by Sessions or anyone else.  

Ironically, you're grammar is absolutely awful here, only a few hours later... :P

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

My thing is that Moore only lost by about 1% in a special election in a non-election year.  With Trump at the top, voters will come out stronger which I think would push Moore over the top.  But, I do agree that he’s the only one who makes it competitive.

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

Ironically, you're grammar is absolutely awful here, only a few hours later... :P

Yeah it might because I rarely drink and have like 5 drinks in me. 

3 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

My thing is that Moore only lost by about 1% in a special election in a non-election year.  With Trump at the top, voters will come out stronger which I think would push Moore over the top.  But, I do agree that he’s the only one who makes it competitive.

58 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

McConnel could give half his money to McGrath and still win. 

McConnell is classic example of the phrase, "overstaying one's welcome."

Dems really need to stop running and defending their weak incumbents over and over at all costs. We saw it in 2018 when Menendez ate up millions of dollars that could have gone to Florida because he’s the only Democrat that could possibly lose his NJ Senate seat to a terrible Republican nominee. I expect this to happen in Michigan in 2020 too. A lot of these incumbents are dead weight for Democrats that are hurting the party as a whole. It’s very problematic that not a single Dem incumbent retired in 2018 and it seems as though only 1 will retire in 2020. It won’t matter in safe Dem states where partisanship matters more than anything, but it’s bound to hurt them in states like Michigan. 

8 hours ago, HonestAbe said:

The voters get to determine that

Not if they don't have REAL opposition. That's been a big problem with many Southern Senators and their infamously long incumbencies since Senators were first elected in 1914 to the point of a cliché. It's not necessarily because they're good Senators, or the constituents REALLY like them, or THEY'RE really doing a good job, but they lack real opponents - and often, under the table, they actually have a hand in that. Another good example that electoral reform and big shake-up in the U.S. partisan system and culture is really needed to reflect the full range of views that actually exist in the nation, allow REAL choice in leaders, and break the corrupt power of the plutocrats and big party machines.

McGrath has had a terrible last week.

8 hours ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

McGrath has had a terrible last week.

I doubt she'll be the nominee she has two primary challengers 

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-Councilwoman-Amanda-Edwards-announces-run-14105641.php

Democratic Houston Councilwoman Amanda Edwards is going to run against Sen. John Cornyn. Wonder if this effects Beto or Castro moving forward.