270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  

June’s job report up 224,000 jobs

Beats projections by 40%.  Still going upward. Another month gone to hope for America to struggle to win. Change the narrative quickly 

51 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

Beats projections by 40%.  Still going upward. Another month gone to hope for America to struggle to win. Change the narrative quickly 

Are these decent career jobs that can support a family, or "McJobs" with no job security, employment benefits, and bar their employees from any unionization or collective bargaining?

32 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

This past month a larger than anticipated block was industrial. 

Saying "industrial" doesn't answer my question at all. My late father was a professional welder. He often spoke of the "labourers" at his worksite - unskilled labourers - in slightly close to elitist disdain. But they, too, are "industrial" jobs, but are rarely better than "McJobs" in the ways I mentioned above. Also, recent "right-to-work" legislative (one of those insulting-to-the-intelligence, disingenuous, hypocritical policy labels, like "pro-life" or "international police action") means many of them will not have the benefit of unionization or collective bargaining, and thus have their wages, benefits, and even being employed at the whim of capricious and heartless corporate employers.

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

Saying "industrial" doesn't answer my question at all. My late father was a professional welder. He often spoke of the "labourers" at his worksite - unskilled labourers - in slightly close to elitist disdain. But they, too, are "industrial" jobs, but are rarely better than "McJobs" in the ways I mentioned above. Also, recent "right-to-work" legislative (one of those insulting-to-the-intelligence, disingenuous, hypocritical policy labels, like "pro-life" or "international police action") means many of them will not have the benefit of unionization or collective bargaining, and thus have their wages, benefits, and even being employed at the whim of capricious and heartless corporate employers.

The only response for an anti- is well “ok new jobs but are they good”. Ask the people who left unemployment for a real paycheck.  

2 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

The only response for an anti- is well “ok new jobs but are they good”. Ask the people who left unemployment for a real paycheck.  

The typical response of a short-term thinker who praises endless band-aid solutions, but would be aghast at truly tackling the core, root, source problems of the nations (you know, the problems that never come up among "major, electable" candidates in electoral cycles, but are rotting and plaguing the nation from within like a cancer. The same type of problems that truly brought down the Roman Empire, the British Colonial, and the Soviet Union, and will very likely - especially given the ambivalence toward and their rapid festering out-of-control, be the eventual demise of the American nation and civilization. Not all great empires die on the field of battle).

You can spin and wax poetic all you want, but more jobs is better for America, as opposed to fewer. 

Just now, HonestAbe said:

You can spin and wax poetic all you want, but more jobs isn’t better for America, as opposed to fewer. 

As, I said, there's more to it than just number of jobs. The Soviet Union had almost complete employment in the early '80's - but a lot of people were put to shitty, menial, and even redundant work. But as Stalin said - and you obviously show agreement with Papa Jozef, here, "Quantity is a quality, al it's own." I personally don't agree. I these boasts and programs, as their currenly conducted, are the gateway to reviving corporate predatory and exploitative employment practices they had mostly been reserving for outsourcing in Third World nations.

You don’t have to agree. Millions of Americans believe in the eater bunny too.  But less people needing unemployment is better. 

13 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

You don’t have to agree. Millions of Americans believe in the eater bunny too.  But less people needing unemployment is better. 

But what would be EVEN better, FAR better, in fact practically NEEDED, is to address the core, root economic, political, and social problem, issues, and environments that LEAD to constantly unstable employment levels, unacceptably high unemployment levels, lack of job security for so many, low wages in so many jobs, many employment experiences being absolute misery, disparity in wages by inherent demographic, and corporate employers' power to, in many cases, exploit and run roughshod over their employees with impunity. These are things MUCH more to devote government time to than JUST creating a bunch of new jobs and then self-congratulating and resting on their laurels for a bit.