270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  

And just like that Harris walks back her busing comment

As I’ve stated before, she consistently walks back comments as soon as she gets pushback.   Harris now says that federally mandated busing shouldn’t be the sole method for equalizing schools, just one week after ripping Biden for saying virtually  the same thing.  This comes after serious pushback from AA voters on this topic.  

There is an example right now in Michigan of a school (over 90% AA) that is millions of dollars in debt.  The Mich Gov is attempting to merge the HS of that district with a neighboring affluent mainly white high performing district.  The struggling district is fighting tooth and nail to not get merged.  I think Harris missed the mark on the topic. She earned points for taking on Biden, but she may have misplayed the race card.  

Secondly when did we go back to the 70’s and consider busing as a major topic for 2020?  Educational equality isn’t based on racial breakdown, that implies inequality in races.   Equality in education comes with additional programs, personnel, devices and supports given to low income districts. 

Oh my God...I started liking her and then she flip floped on healthcare and now this.Right now i would enthusiastically support only:Bernie,Warren,De Blasio and Mayor Pete.Rest of them would get my vote just to get rid of Tangerine Nightmare but no support.

The implication was that Biden didn't want schools to be integrated.

Busing had mixed results.  It improved the public education of many minority students.  OTOH, it's the direct cause of the proliferation of private primary and secondary schools, as white parents tried to keep their kids away from minority students, and urban sprawl, as those parents moved out of the highly taxed cities to the suburbs to avoid paying for the schools they weren't using.

5 hours ago, HonestAbe said:

Harris now says that federally mandated busing shouldn’t be the sole method for equalizing schools, just one week after ripping Biden for saying virtually  the same thing.

I don't think that's what she was saying. I think she was critiquing him for not supporting it at all, she wasn't saying that it was the only thing she supported. She never specifically stated that was the only thing she thought would work at all. 

I've never liked Kamala Harris and I never will. As Attorney General she pushed to jail parents of truant kids which disproportionately hurts single mothers. She refused to prosecute Steve Mnuchin, she literally took money from Donald Trump, anybody that tries to gaslight others into saying that she is a progressive needs to get a grip.

1 hour ago, Dr. Insano said:

I've never liked Kamala Harris and I never will. As Attorney General she pushed to jail parents of truant kids which disproportionately hurts single mothers. She refused to prosecute Steve Mnuchin, she literally took money from Donald Trump, anybody that tries to gaslight others into saying that she is a progressive needs to get a grip.

Exactly. Contrary to some seeming belief out there, just because she's an African-American woman doesn't mean she's automatically, instantly a great Progressive champion of Social Justice. I mean, take Condoleeza Rice as a good example of this.

6 hours ago, Rodja said:

Oh my God...I started liking her and then she flip floped on healthcare and now this.Right now i would enthusiastically support only:Bernie,Warren,De Blasio and Mayor Pete.Rest of them would get my vote just to get rid of Tangerine Nightmare but no support.

De Blasio really? His approval rating here is worse than Trump's

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/10/nyregion/de-blasio-poll-donald-trump.html

Bernie and Tutsi are the only 2 I see myself actively supporting. Anyone else I will either hold my nose and vote for or vote third party.

3 hours ago, Dr. Insano said:

Hear, hear!

2 hours ago, Dr. Insano said:

Bernie and Tutsi are the only 2 I see myself actively supporting. Anyone else I will either hold my nose and vote for or vote third party.

Why not Warren? She's far closer to Sanders than Tulsi is.

30 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Why not Warren? She's far closer to Sanders than Tulsi is.

I'd support Warren over Tulsi, but Warren does give off a "fake" feeling to me. I don't think she cares about us as much as she makes it seem she does.

7 minutes ago, jnewt said:

I'd support Warren over Tulsi, but Warren does give off a "fake" feeling to me. I don't think she cares about us as much as she makes it seem she does.

That's funny, since I have the same feeling towards Tulsi, and feel Warren is as authentic as a politician can be.

6 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

De Blasio really? His approval rating here is worse than Trump's

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/10/nyregion/de-blasio-poll-donald-trump.html

I dont understand why people hate him.He seems like a less charismatic Bernie.