270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Past voting poll

Past voting history  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which describes you in PRESIDENTIAL elections.

• Only voted Democratic
    • Only Voted Republican
    • Only voted Third Party
    • I’ve voted for R and D
    • I’ve voted 3rd party and one of the major
    • I’ve voted R, D, and 3rd Party
    • I’ve never voted in a US presidential election

I turned 18 in time for the 2018 midterms, but worked at the polling station twice in 2016. I also did some volunteer work for the Clinton campaign (begrudgingly) and a LOT of door knocking and data entry for the Bredesen campaign. 

2000 - GW Bush (I was relatively ignorant of politics and thought Bush was more likable and trustworthy than Gore. Bush and Gore were actually quite similar in platform during the campaign. I had no real issue I was passionate about either. I was from Texas, Bush is from Texas, and he was more likable than Gore. By 2002, I regretted voting for Bush and I never voted Republican again.)

2004 - Kerry. I liked Kucinich much more than Kerry and thought Kerry had the charisma of an embalmer. However, I remember eagerly voting to stop Bush's reelection. I had thought Kerry would win. When he didn't, I was only mildly shocked, disappointed, but not upset. 

2008 - Again, I liked Kucinich. I preferred Clinton to Obama until Obama seemed to have a shot at nomination. I got to meet Obama and hear him speak (Also shook hands with Ted Kennedy) shortly before moving to NYC from Texas. I was in NYC when I voted in the general. It was so obvious Obama was going to crush McCain that I remember election night was a lot of fun and stress free. 

2012 - Obviously, Obama. I remember being quite nervous that Romney could win. Once Obama won FL, I knew he'd win. This was my last election to vote in while living in NYC. I moved back to Texas a few months later. 

2016 - Now in Austin, TX. I supported Bernie Sanders and voted for him in the primaries. I never expected him to get the nomination, and still don't think he would have won even without superdelegates or DNC plotting. My cousin was Clinton's campaign manager. I have never met him and that didn't dissuade me from supporting Sanders. On election night, I was confident Clinton was going to win---not as confident as I was with Obama in 2008, but I was less anxious with Clinton in 2016 than I was with Obama in 2012. When Trump started winning on election night, I just remembered saying often, "this doesn't make any sense." If there was Russian involvement or voter suppression in some way, I think that would be a reason for it not making sense. 

2018 - Now in Philadelphia, PA. This was the first Midterm I ever voted in. As I was hoping for a Blue Wave, I voted straight Democrat (I usually have more diversity in my votes on local elections). I remember being disappointed with the wave. I was elated with the result in isolated states, but I expected a larger wave. However, it was enough to be a solid rebuke of Trump and it seemed clear to me that PA, MI, WI--states that went for Trump---seemed to have regretted voting for him by voting for politicians that mostly opposed Trump. 

2020 - Will vote for the Democratic nominee, even if it is Marianne Williamson

Never voted in a US election, but I if I had the honor, I had probably supported Kerry and Obama 2x due to being political ignorant back then. In 2016 that had changed and I supported Trump as the 17th choice out of 17 Republican candidates. My actual real enthusiasm went from Jeb Bush to Rubio to Kasich and Cruz.

2000 - I was too young to vote (17) but supported George W Bush.  Gore was just too wooden in the debates.

2004 - Old enough, but deployed to South Korea just a few weeks before the election and was either too late to request a mail-in ballot or just didn't know the process.  Passionately supported George W Bush as a proud defender of the Iraq War.

2008 - Was actually in Iraq.  Meant to request a mail-in ballot, but never actually got around to it.  Still supported the war (I was there because I'd volunteered to take another man's place), but was intrigued by Obama.  That said, I also liked McCain, and kept swinging back and forth.  Selection of the VPs sealed the deal for me.  I loved Biden way before Obama selected him (or even became the Presidential nominee), while Sarah Palin was a fucking dumpster fire.  If Obama was inexperienced, what in the world was Palin?  I backed Obama.

2012 - Actually in America!  Voted for the first time in a Presidential election, at the age of 29, for Obama.  Romney was never a consideration, as I'd become passionately in favor of gay marriage and Romney opposed it.

2016 - Prided myself on being an "independent moderate."  My short list was Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, and Rick Perry 2.0 (he seemed to have mellowed out after his 2012 religious run) -- with Jeb! being my front runner.  Then Donald Trump showed up and I ran into Hillary's arms.  I voted for Kasich in the Ohio primary just in a failed attempt to stop Trump, but backed Hillary in the general.

2020 - My top pick is Pete Buttigieg, followed by Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren.  After that, it gets shaky -- but I'd take a ham sandwich over Donald Trump, and I don't even like ham.

2024 - I'll be happy to consider a Republican again...but anyone who ever supported Trump is dead to me.

58 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

2000 - I was too young to vote (17) but supported George W Bush.  Gore was just too wooden in the debates.

2004 - Old enough, but deployed to South Korea just a few weeks before the election and was either too late to request a mail-in ballot or just didn't know the process.  Passionately supported George W Bush as a proud defender of the Iraq War.

2008 - Was actually in Iraq.  Meant to request a mail-in ballot, but never actually got around to it.  Still supported the war (I was there because I'd volunteered to take another man's place), but was intrigued by Obama.  That said, I also liked McCain, and kept swinging back and forth.  Selection of the VPs sealed the deal for me.  I loved Biden way before Obama selected him (or even became the Presidential nominee), while Sarah Palin was a fucking dumpster fire.  If Obama was inexperienced, what in the world was Palin?  I backed Obama.

2012 - Actually in America!  Voted for the first time in a Presidential election, at the age of 29, for Obama.  Romney was never a consideration, as I'd become passionately in favor of gay marriage and Romney opposed it.

2016 - Prided myself on being an "independent moderate."  My short list was Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, and Rick Perry 2.0 (he seemed to have mellowed out after his 2012 religious run) -- with Jeb! being my front runner.  Then Donald Trump showed up and I ran into Hillary's arms.  I voted for Kasich in the Ohio primary just in a failed attempt to stop Trump, but backed Hillary in the general.

2020 - My top pick is Pete Buttigieg, followed by Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren.  After that, it gets shaky -- but I'd take a ham sandwich over Donald Trump, and I don't even like ham.

2024 - I'll be happy to consider a Republican again...but anyone who ever supported Trump is dead to me.

I don't understand how anyone is proud of supporting a war fought to enrich oil companies and Haliburton, justified on flimsy lies that a notable number of people AT THE TIME could actually see through, and that led to a scenario of chaos, instability, mass-death, and the creation of ISIS for no good or justifiable reason other than getting a bunch of oil executives and Cheney and friends (all nepotistic allies of the Bush family) rich.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't understand how anyone is proud of supporting a war fought to enrich oil companies and Haliburton, justified on flimsy lies that a notable number of people AT THE TIME could actually see through, and that led to a scenario of chaos, instability, mass-death, and the creation of ISIS for good or justifiable reason other than getting a bunch of oil executives and Cheney and friends (all nepotistic allies of the Bush family) rich.

I don't expect that I'm going to be able to convince you to come around to my point of view, and that's okay.

But I actually went there, to see it in person - voluntarily.  I was done listening to people argue on TV.  I wanted to go find the truth, myself.

I came back still in support.

Just now, Actinguy said:

I don't expect that I'm going to be able to convince you to come around to my point of view, and that's okay.

But I actually went there myself, to see it in person.  I was done listening to people argue on TV.  I wanted to go find the truth myself.

I came back still in support.

That sounds a lot more self-righteous than trying to explain it. It almost sounds like a smug answer from a religious person you actually says they've DECIDED someone else is beyond saving. In fact, it almost reeks of a "Gnostic elect' answer. But, hey...

Only voted once in a presidential election. I was too young in 2012, but I probably would've voted for Romney.

25 minutes ago, Patine said:

That sounds a lot more self-righteous than trying to explain it. It almost sounds like a smug answer from a religious person you actually says they've DECIDED someone else is beyond saving. In fact, it almost reeks of a "Gnostic elect' answer. But, hey...

I'm sorry.  Maybe my assessment of the strength of your stance was wrong.  Are you suggesting that you can actually be persuaded to support the Iraq war?

Otherwise, I'd say your comparison to religion may be correct.  Little is achieved by firm believers of opposing religions arguing with one another.

3 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I'm sorry.  Maybe my assessment of the strength of your stance was wrong.  Are you suggesting that you can actually be persuaded to support the Iraq war?

Otherwise, I'd say your comparison to religion may be correct.  Little is achieved by firm believers of opposing religions arguing with one another.

I'm not sure I could, but you declaring I'm beyond a reasonable try is perhaps a bit harsh, and even, arguably, an intellectual insult. I admit, I haven't been to Iraq (though I knew an Iraqi-Canadian woman, but she immigrated to Canada before Operation Desert Storm in 1991, but still during Saddam Hussein's Presidency). I have a cousin who was in the Canadian Forces who was in Afghanistan, but I'm told across the board, it's not the same situation between the two.

Just now, Patine said:

I'm not sure I could, but you declaring I'm beyond a reasonable try is perhaps a bit harsh, and even, arguably, an intellectual insult. I admit, I haven't been to Iraq (though I knew an Iraqi-Canadian woman, but she immigrated to Canada before Operation Desert Storm in 1991, but still during Saddam Hussein's Presidency). I have a cousin who was in the Canadian Forces who was in Afghanistan, but I'm told across the board, it's not the same situation between the two.

Honestly --- you rant against it an awful lot.  Your opinion is clearly deeply held, and I accept that.  So is mine.  And given that support for or against the Iraq War is no longer a central theme  of anyone's Presidential campaign, our views on it don't actually matter that much anymore.

I've come to accept that I'm on the losing side of this issue when it comes to talking to strangers on the internet.  That's okay.  All I can do is shrug and say "But I was there...." 

47 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

it don't actually matter that much anymore.

Except maybe for those STILL fighting and dying in Iraq and Syria (where the problems spilt over to) and all the destruction and instability there BECAUSE of the Iraq War and it's wake. But I guess THEY don't matter. Clean conscience!

16 minutes ago, Patine said:

Except maybe for those STILL fighting and dying in Iraq and Syria (where the problems spilt over to) and all the destruction and instability there BECAUSE of the Iraq War and it's wake. But I guess THEY don't matter. Clean conscience!

The “but the poor soldier!” routine doesn’t work on me, having been one myself.  It is 2019.  There is not a single man or woman in uniform today who did not stand up and make their vow fully aware that doing so meant they could be called up to serve in Iraq.  

They should be mourned, remembered, and honored - absolutely.  But they should not be turned into your political pawns when they clearly understood and volunteered to be a part of the mission there anyway.

Dont dishonor their sacrifice by turning their corpses into your pawns.

57 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

The “but the poor soldier!” routine doesn’t work on me, having been one myself.  It is 2019.  There is not a single man or woman in uniform today who did not stand up and make their vow fully aware that doing so meant they could be called up to serve in Iraq.  

They should be mourned, remembered, and honored - absolutely.  But they should not be turned into your political pawns when they clearly understood and volunteered to be a part of the mission there anyway.

Dont dishonor their sacrifice by turning their corpses into your pawns.

No, I agree, the soldiers should be mourned, remembered, and honoured. But the WAR MAKERS in government, "intelligence communities," and military lobbying corporations should be taken to task - and not just by being voted out, but Nuremberg-style war crimes tribunals. And, a Constitutional amendment passed and binding contract made with each and everyone service person that only purely defensive wars will be fought or attempted to be "justified" thereafter, like Switzerland has. And the military budget cut to purely, but state-of-the-art, defensive posture, and that "locked-up" money transferred to infrastructure that REALLY needs it. That's what I believe, strongly, should be done. Military adventurism gets much harder and harder to justify and get enthusiasm for. Notice the complete lack of popular support, enthusiasm, or even "falling for it," of the recent Tonkin Bay 2.0 scam to justify attacks on Iran. The farce is just so blatant!

The first election I was old enough to vote in was 2016. I voted for Johnson despite the fact I wanted Trump to win. In the Republican primaries I had supported Ben Carson, Rand Paul, and then Marco Rubio. 

In the 2018 midterms I voted for Bob Krist and Jane Raybould over Gov. Pete Ricketts and Sen. Deb Fischer respectively.

In 2012 I really supported Ron Paul, but supported Romney over Obama. In hindsight I would have voted for Romney over Obama too.

In 2008 I liked John Edwards but ended up liking both Obama & McCain. I was really only kind getting a grasp for politics though. Looking back I would have voted for Barr or Obama.

In 2004 I liked Bush but honestly didn't know anything other than I thought he was kind of funny. Would have voted for him over Kerry though.

In 2000 I would have been 4 going on 5 and just didn't have that ability to even form an opinion, probably would have voted for Bush over Gore, but if it were to happen today Pat Buchanan would appeal to me for similar reasons Gary Johnson appealed to me in 2016.

In 1996 I was just a little baby but my parents always talk about how good life under Clinton was so probably Clinton haha.

in 2020 there is like maybe 3 or 4 Democrats I'd vote for over Trump outright and then maybe another 2 or 3 I'd vote for depending on the VP nom, but it's looking like I'll vote for Trump in 2020 and wait for the inevitable shit show impeachment that brings us President Pence. Though a lot can happen and poll numbers don't mean much so the Democratic Party might surprise me. 

Honestly I'll probably vote for Pete Buttigieg. I know i've stated previously that I would never vote for a gay man but I feel like I can make an exception here. Either him or mommy Gabbard.

12 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Honestly I'll probably vote for Pete Buttigieg. I know i've stated previously that I would never vote for a gay man but I feel like I can make an exception here. Either him or mommy Gabbard.

I don't know. I'm not convinced he's in the right political party, in the modern U.S. political environment. But, hey, a DINO running against an incumbent RINO? At least it's a shake-up of the norm, if nothing else.

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't know. I'm not convinced he's in the right political party, in the modern U.S. political environment. But, hey, a DINO running against an incumbent RINO? At least it's a shake-up of the norm, if nothing else.

What? How is he not???

1 minute ago, SilentLiberty said:

What? How is he not???

His "appeal to Conservatism," that's often quoted, can't be because he's a staunch Progressive who has an inexplicable hypnotic sway over Conservatives. Also, he seems AT LEAST as hawkish as Clinton was in 2016, if not more so. And his great and impressive campaign warchest likely means he'll end more susceptible to corporate and special interest influence, because they'll expect "reciprocation" for their own donations.

27 minutes ago, Patine said:

His "appeal to Conservatism," that's often quoted, can't be because he's a staunch Progressive who has an inexplicable hypnotic sway over Conservatives. Also, he seems AT LEAST as hawkish as Clinton was in 2016, if not more so. And his great and impressive campaign warchest likely means he'll end more susceptible to corporate and special interest influence, because they'll expect "reciprocation" for their own donations.

I think his appeal to conservatives is largely over played personally, not in every case of course but for the most part. However apart from that none of what you said means he should be in the Republican party and not the Democratic party...?? Like for instance he seems to be less hawkish than most of the other Democratic candidates, neither party is really about ending war or total pulling of troops out of places or things like that so I just don't know what the point is there. You kind of just didn't even really make your point. Unless your point is that him making so much money and possible corporate or special interest is only possible in the Republican party, which is completely untrue, nor is that the defining qualities for a candidate to be in a party, just kind of 'republican party bad, potential corporate and special interest influence bad' which the latter is totally true just not strained to any one political party or political candidate. In fact in 2015 and 2016 that was part of Trump's appeal, same as Bernie's, that they were so anti establishment and wouldn't be held true to corporate or lobbyist or whoever. 

What I think he has in common with Clinton is how snakey he seems to me, but that's not policy driven of course.

5 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I think his appeal to conservatives is largely over played personally, not in every case of course but for the most part. However apart from that none of what you said means he should be in the Republican party and not the Democratic party...?? Like for instance he seems to be less hawkish than most of the other Democratic candidates, neither party is really about ending war or total pulling of troops out of places or things like that so I just don't know what the point is there. You kind of just didn't even really make your point. Unless your point is that him making so much money and possible corporate or special interest is only possible in the Republican party, which is completely untrue, nor is that the defining qualities for a candidate to be in a party, just kind of 'republican party bad, potential corporate and special interest influence bad' which the latter is totally true just not strained to any one political party or political candidate. In fact in 2015 and 2016 that was part of Trump's appeal, same as Bernie's, that they were so anti establishment and wouldn't be held true to corporate or lobbyist or whoever. 

What I think he has in common with Clinton is how snakey he seems to me, but that's not policy driven of course.

You know, for the first time on these forums in the last several years, I think someone has actually convinced me in a post I was completely incorrect with my previous one. I almost fell into a partisan stance, despite myself, instead of my typical being critical of the Duopoly as a whole. You have my congratulations! :P

17 minutes ago, Patine said:

You know, for the first time on these forums in the last several years, I think someone has actually convinced me in a post I was completely incorrect with my previous one. I almost fell into a partisan stance, despite myself, instead of my typical being critical of the Duopoly as a whole. You have my congratulations! :P

Ah well thank you kindly.

In all fairness to you, with so many different Democrats and Republicans running in these past two elections it has shown how different both parties can be, even within themselves. However at their core it is still very much a team sport and they do fall into a lot of the same bad practices, which you most times are very quick to call out.