270soft Forum
vcczar

1st & 2nd Democrat Debate Poll

((Note I passed out during the second hour))

1. Who won the debate and why?

Castro. I originally placed him in the "why is he running?" Tier. And now I can see a serious case for a Castro presidency. He was charismatic, thoughtful, and laid out clear policy positions.

2. Who lost the debate and why?

Beto. My girlfriend and I joked that Beto is the kid that forgot to prepare for a class presentation and is winging it. 

3. Who had the best one-liner?

Not sure if there was a clear  line but Warren's, "Heathcare is a human right" was notable. Also not a major gaff, but Booker's addition of, "it's also an American  right" seemed clunky.

4. Who was the most gaffe prone?

I cant think of a specific gaffe  that is up there  with Rick Perry forgetting 3 departments. 

5. Who was the most specific and organized?

Tie between Warren and Castro.

6. Who was the most personable/likable?

Warren,  Castro were good. 

7. Who was the least personable/likable?

My girlfriend laughed at Bookers Spanish. But if Beto felt underprepared,  Tim Ryan felt overprepared. Almost robotic- a la Rubio- in bringing everything back to Ohio.

8. Who was the most presidential?

Warren.

9. Who would be the hardest for Trump to beat in a debate?

Castro and Warren

10. Has your opinion changed on any of the candidates. 

Honestly, while I like Warren, Castro forced me to reevaluate him.

4 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

lmao

nb4 @Patine "american comedy sucks"

I do not speak in absolutes. People speaking in absolutes in politics and social and religious affairs, who are becoming more and more common and given more (and far too much credence) are becoming a growing plague on the world. Please, stop trying to turn qualified and conditional opinions I make into absolute statements that I did not make. It's NOT funny...

1.Castro,De Blasio,Warren in this order.De Blasio has moved up to my top 3 candidates after tonight.

2.Delaney was so terrible.O'Rourke was surprisingly weak.Jay Inslee had a lot to say but he was very time limited.

3."Adios to Donald Trump"-Julian Castro

4.No tragic gaffes tonight.Bookers addition of "American right" to Warrens "human right" was kinda dumb and pointless.

5.Castro

6.Bill De Blasio.

7.Delaney.

8.Warren

9.Everybody except for Delaney.

10.Bill De Blasio rise to 3rd place on my favorite candidates list from nowhere(althrough my previous number 3 Mayor Pete is on tonight so he could reclaim it).And i went from neutral to disdain for John Delaney.Tulsi wasnt bad but i am still far from liking her.

Excited for tonight!

3 hours ago, Patine said:

People speaking in absolutes in politics and social and religious affairs, who are becoming more and more common and given more (and far too much credence) are becoming a growing plague on the world. 

Isn’t that an absolute right there?

10 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Gabbard just kicked Tim Ryan's ass on the Taliban lmao

I agree 100%

Castro for a breakout performance, and Warren for a consistent performance that maintained her as the frontrunner of the night.

2. Who lost the debate and why?

Beto. His inability to answer questions as well as shameless pandering by speaking Spanish was embarrassing.
Inslee was also disappointing too. Loud and didn't say much of substance, and gave Klobuchar a perfect opening to cut him down.

Klobuchar had the best zingers ready, and the moment of "I think the three women on this stage have fought quite a bit" was probably the best one-liner.
De Blasio had a few good moments too, which is genuinely shocking.

4. Who was the most gaffe prone?

Ryan, even just by his downtrodden, Eeyore-like appearance. Felt out of his depth the whole time.

Castro. Warren a close second.

Castro, though I think a case could be made that Klobuchar was more likable than expected.

Tulsi.

Warren.

9. Who would be the hardest for Trump to beat in a debate?

Warren proved that she can be consistent, give good answers, and not give into the frenetic energy she often has in a debate. I think she would be tough to beat in a debate if she maintains that control. I think he'd also struggle against Castro and Klobuchar.

I like Castro a lot more. I think my estimation of Warren as a GE candidate increased. De Blasio brought interesting perspectives to the table, which I was fully not expecting.

Looking forward to tonight's!

1. Who won the debate and why?   Elizabeth Warren won by not losing.   Castro also had a great night, but a great night just isn't enough when you're polling at 1%.

2. Who lost the debate and why?  Beto O'Rourke.  I expected him to dazzle us after having risen to fame against the great debater Ted Cruz.  Instead, he came across as  unprepared.  Amy Klobuchar also had a rough night, at times seeming to be near tears despite speaking about issues that aren't particularly emotional ones.

3. Who had the best one-liner?  Marianne Williamson, who was not on the stage, with her tweet saying "I need to learn Spanish by 9 PM tomorrow."  

4. Who was the most gaffe prone?  The only gaffe I recall was a particularly bad one, with Tim Ryan saying the Taliban attacked us on 9/11 -- which Tulsi Gabbard immediately took him to task for, pointing out that was Al Qaeda.  That's the only thing I remember about Tim Ryan's two hours, other than him having a deer-in-the-headlights look the whole time.  

5. Who was the most specific and organized?  I think Cory Booker did an excellent job of repeatedly tying his personal connections and experiences to a lot of the issues.  Julian Castro also demonstrated deep knowledge of the details of policy issues.

6. Who was the most personable/likable?   In general, probably Cory Booker -- if you find him believable.  Personally, I think he's a great orator but the passion and emotion he displays feels a little "crocodile tears" to me.  

7. Who was the least personable/likable?  My wife, who only recognized the names of Elizabeth Warren and Beto O'Rourke heading into this debate, had an immediate dislike for Jay Inslee.  "Why is he just standing there smiling for no reason?  This isn't a beauty contest.  Good luck keeping that smile going for two hours, idiot."  For my perspective, Tim Ryan looked absolutely terrified.  I also went into the debate strongly disliking Tulsi Gabbard, and still felt that way at the end.

8. Who was the most presidential?    I'm not sure that any of them really came across that way.  If I had to pick one, maybe Elizabeth Warren by default.

9. Who would be the hardest for Trump to beat in a debate?  I'm not sure that it actually matters.  Hillary obliterated Trump in every debate, for all the good it did her.  But if I had to pick someone just for fun:  even though I, again, REALLY don't like her...I'd love to see Trump debate Tulsi Gabbard, just to show the absurdity of a 38-year-old Representative from Hawaii having a deeper knowledge of foreign affairs than the President of the United States does.

10. Has your opinion changed on any of the candidates.  I've been dismissive of Julian Castro from the start, but he greatly outperformed my expectations.  I also went into this knowing that Democrats particularly dislike Bill De Blasio, but after last night's debate I don't know why.  On the flip side, my estimation of Klobuchar's chances have dropped to zeo.

But at the end of the day, nobody moved past Pete Buttigieg for my top slot.  I asked my wife what her reaction is as well, and she agreed that nobody passed up her top choice of Bernie Sanders.

1. Who won the debate and why?

Hands down Julian Castro. Absolute breakout performance by a candidate who most percieved to have no fire. 

Beto. Yeah, no explanation needed here. 

Klobuchar.

Tim Ryan.

Easily Castro again. Warren did well but got less spotlight as the night went on.

Klobuchar came across as a 2020 John Kasich. 

Tim Ryan. So... robotic.

Castro.

Castro.

10. Has your opinion changed on any of the candidates

Castro moves up to my number 2 spot, oh so close to number 1. Buttigieg moves into number 1. De Blasio moves up to 6 or 7 rather than almost dead last. 

Why do people hate De Blasio?He sounds like a great candidate and is now 3rd on my list!

Warren and Castro had the best performances.  Gabbard and de Blasio also did well.  Beto tanked.

Trump would probably have the hardest time against Gabbard in the general election.

Beto should leave the race, hands down. Run for Senate instead.

1. Who won the debate and why? Castro, his answers were thorough and he really did his homework, especially when hammering Beto on immigration. Warren was great too

2. Who lost the debate and why? Delaney. He's totally out of touch with the party.

3. Who had the best one-liner? Not sure

4. Who was the most gaffe prone? Tim Ryan

5. Who was the most specific and organized? Warren and Castro

6. Who was the most personable/likable? They were all fine, if I had to pick, Castro and Booker

7. Who was the least personable/likable? John Delaney. Him interrupting at the end of each question came off as bad imo

8. Who was the most presidential? Warren and Castro

9. Who would be the hardest for Trump to beat in a debate? Warren, Castro, Booker

10. Has your opinion changed on any of the candidates. I already liked Castro, but he was even more impressive than I expected. de Blasio was suprisingly pretty well. I think more highly of Inslee now. 

On 6/26/2019 at 4:36 PM, vcczar said:

This is for those that end up watching the debate. This poll will be in the thread. Copy+paste this to respond. Do this once for the Wed debate and one for the Thurs debate  

1. Castro won, by far because he seemed to know policies and knew how to explain it to the crowd.

2. O'Rourke. Some candidates could've gotten away with the performance he gave, but because his a mid-tier candidate, he could not.

3. Klobuchar seemed to have the best zingers, with the one about abortion being the one that comes to mind.

4. None made that many gaffes to be honest.

5. Warren, as always was organized and specific. I'd say her over the rest.

6. Most personable and likeable was probably Klobuchar, but none seemed that personable, and I liked that because it was more policy detailed.

7. Delaney seemed to have a tough time to even hear the questions, which got annoying to a viewer when I had to hear it for the second time.

8. All seemed pretty good, but barring Delaney, O'Rourke, and Ryan, I'd say the rest seemed good. Some of course I wouldn't vote for based on policy, but most of the field seemed presidential in that debate.

9. Castro or Warren. Especially if it was that focused on policy, as the MSNBC, Telemundo and NBC hosts made it be. They were surprisingly good hosts.

10. Castro jumped up a bit in my book, but not into first place or anything such as that. Not much changed in my evaluation.

All the Tulsi hate is really telling of the mindset of people here 🙄

16 minutes ago, Dr. Insano said:

How so?

Anybody else shocked Jay Inslee wasn’t one of the candidates who said climate change was our biggest threat? Seemed like a missed opportunity for him.

Just now, Dr. Insano said:

But she used to hold bigoted opinions, and she supports a dictator! We can't have a someone like that representing the Democratic party, Biden 2020!

11 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Anybody else shocked Jay Inslee wasn’t one of the candidates who said climate change was our biggest threat? Seemed like a missed opportunity for him.

Nah that wasn't a missed opportunity, he actually took that question and thrived with it imo. The crowd loved it. Sure it might not be just about him, but he said before/when nobody else did. Not to mention when the media mentions Inslee they stress he's a one issue candidate. 

1 hour ago, SilentLiberty said:

Nah that wasn't a missed opportunity, he actually took that question and thrived with it imo. The crowd loved it. Sure it might not be just about him, but he said before/when nobody else did. Not to mention when the media mentions Inslee they stress he's a one issue candidate. 

He had an opportunity to legitimately push climate change to the forefront and he passed on it to essentially say "orange man bad". That's a missed opportunity in my opinion. The voters these candidates need to win over care about the actual issues, not just saying that Trump is evil. 

1 hour ago, WVProgressive said:

But she used to hold bigoted opinions, and she supports a dictator! We can't have a someone like that representing the Democratic party, Biden 2020!

You're one of the people I really relate to here and I  appreciate that. 😂 

1 hour ago, Dr. Insano said:

You're one of the people I really relate to here and I  appreciate that. 😂 

U.S. foreign policy has the hypocritical, two-faced policy of condemning and excoriating certain leaders because they're bloody-handed, human rights abusing dictators who ignore the will of their people and have no regard for due process or the concept of law and order outside tyranny - but then, certain other leaders are "staunch allies against Communism," "strong regional allies," "stabilizing influences in regions," or "favoured trading partners," - who ALSO happen to be bloody-handed, human rights abusing dictators who ignore the will of their people and have no regard for due process or the concept of law and order outside tyranny. Funny how that works - and how American politicians can state these policies with a sincere, straight face.

My reaction to the 2nd debate

No clear winner. Buttigieg, Harris, or Gillibrand probably did the best. 

No clear loser. Yang, Williamson, Swalwell, and Hickenlooper did little to help them stand out.  They needed to do more. Sanders didn't do as well with attacks as I wish he had done.  

Probably Buttigieg when he pointed out Republican Christian hypocrisy. Swalwell had a good moment too. Harris knifed Biden on race, but it failed as a powerful one-liner because of an awkward presentation. 

No real gaffes. Williamson had an odd first response. She said the party needed to make simple statements like Trump, but then seemed to call policy superficial, while then going on to talk about policy. She said some good things, but she had no depth and no specific knowledge. Out of her league and very odd. I saw none of the mystique that I've heard a handful of people claim.  Biden sort of ducked out of his response to Harris on race when he really needed a full response to Harris's attack. His #1 priority once he takes office doesn't make sense--"Defeat Donald Trump"--since he would have theoretically already defeated him. 

Buttigieg. Harris generally was, except for one incoherent answer. Yang was specific and organized the few times he spoke, but he seemed to rush through his responses. 

Gillibrand

I like Sanders the most out of these candidates, but he seemed angrier than usual. This might not play well with some voters. Hickenlooper looked like he was being interrogated by a ghost every time he responded. 

Buttigieg and Harris

Buttigieg or Biden. Harris would do best against a conventional politician as would Buttigieg. 

Gillibrand moves up. Hickenlooper was already low and stays there. Williamson had been low because I had never heard her speak; she will stay low. 

270Soft-style debate scores:

Biden 5

Bennet 5

Buttigieg 9

Gillibrand 7

Harris 8 (Might have had the strongest moment)

Hickenlooper 4 (His closing statement was his only solid moment)

Sanders 5 (Would get a 10 for passion, but he was just a 2016 reboot in this debate. Still my favorite candidate)

Swalwell 5

Williamson 2 (No substance or specifics; Just what I think is a contrived New Orleans accent learned from watching too many made-for-TV movies about Storyville)

Yang 5 (Didn't get enough moments and rushed his responses)

Buttigieg won: he presented solid arguments, defended himself, owned up to mistakes, and overall presented himself as someone who could both beat Trump and lead the nation strong.

Yang, Williamson, Bennett, Hickenlooper, and Swalwell all lost. Unlike last night, none of them presented themselves in ways that would lead them to victory. All we know is that WIlliamson is a nut, Yang sucks with people, Swalwell swings and misses with shots, Hickenlooper can't be memorable, and Bennett was just unimpressive.

Probably Biden's "I'm still holding onto the torch" or Harris's "People aren't here to watch a food fight, they want food on their table."

Biden and Sanders were both gaffe prone due to their extensive records, but no one really hit the dumps.

Buttigieg easily.

Biden, Buttigieg, and Harris

Hickenlooper and Bennett.

Buttigieg and Biden

Buttigieg and Harris

Biden has slightly gotten tainted due to his debate flaws.

Bernie has the same opinion as he has always had with me, which is a passionate whiney old man.

Buttigieg has slightly improved due to his strong performance.

Harris has slightly improved due to her strong performance.

Gillibrand has gotten worse because she is just a bitchy person.

Yang has gotten way worse because he completely failed to uphold his policies that I supported of his.

Swalwell has become bad because I had no opinion before, and he kinda missed the marks.

Hickenlooper has stayed the same, which is meh.

Bennett has created a meh attitude.

Williamson shot down all the way because she is psycho.

Harris won the second debate; however, she did so without answering hardly any of the answers.  She needs to end her reliance on memorized responses.

Mayor Pete might have helped his chances in the primary, but he hurt himself in the general election.  His moderate image will be hit by some of his positions.

Yang seemed smart when he spoke but wasn't given time.  I actually think he would be the strongest candidate against Trump due to his focus on automation.

Biden was hit hard.

Sanders didn't do awesome but wasn't terrible either.