270soft Forum
vcczar

1st & 2nd Democrat Debate Poll

This is for those that end up watching the debate. This poll will be in the thread. Copy+paste this to respond. Do this once for the Wed debate and one for the Thurs debate  

1. Who won the debate and why?

2. Who lost the debate and why?

3. Who had the best one-liner?

4. Who was the most gaffe prone?

5. Who was the most specific and organized?

6. Who was the most personable/likable?

7. Who was the least personable/likable?

8. Who was the most presidential?

9. Who would be the hardest for Trump to beat in a debate?

10. Has your opinion changed on any of the candidates. 

54 minutes ago, vcczar said:

This is for those that end up watching the debate. This poll will be in the thread. Copy+paste this to respond. Do this once for the Wed debate and one for the Thurs debate  

The debate hasn't occured yet, but I'll give this a shot for predictions and see how it lines up against the results. 

1. Warren. She will be able to simply out-wonk the other candidates on stage in terms of policy, and as she is easily the most progressive she will get a some real credentials among voters as the voice of progressives, potentially overtaking Sanders if she does well enough. 

2. Beto O'Rourke. He'll need his breakout moment, and instead he's going to fall right into a trap laid for him by the Warren campaign and blunder. It will be a bad night for the falling Texan. 

3. Warren will publicly call for the impeachment of Trump, similar to O'Malley's "Carnival Barker" comment of 2016. 

4. De Blasio, easily. I expect he'll have a hard time keeping his foot out of his mouth. 

5. Inslee, though likely too oriented on climate change as a topic. 

6. Booker. I think that he can carve out enough of a lane here to seem like a funny and responsible "dad", like Joe Biden years before if he plays bis cards right. 

7. Klobuchar. She's going to have a hard time. 

8. Castro, though that means relatively little nowadays. 

9. Booker. 

10. N/A

22 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

3. Warren will publicly call for the impeachment of Trump, similar to O'Malley's "Carnival Barker" comment of 2016. 

Do you think she will be alone in that or rather the first to do it? I kind of figured that'd be a bit of a common talking point between the two debates.

14 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Do you think she will be alone in that or rather the first to do it? I kind of figured that'd be a bit of a common talking point between the two debates.

I think she'll do it in the most quotable way. I also think there's a good chance she calls on Biden to back impeachment. 

8 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

I think she'll do it in the most quotable way. I also think there's a good chance she calls on Biden to back impeachment. 

Fair enough, out of everyone in the first debate I do think she is the most quotable in a flattering way. With Biden, I think that will be interesting to see. Someone is going to have lead the charge on him and it'd be a way to further separate herself from everyone else. Good prediction there.

Debate hasn't aired yet, these are predictions. (To be clear, of this batch, I personally support Warren the most)

1. Who won the debate and why?  Beto O'Rourke.  Extremely low expectations, paired with actually training against a phenomenal debater (Ted Cruz) during the Senate election.

2. Who lost the debate and why?  Elizabeth Warren.  Expectations impossibly high compared to the others on the stage.  

3. Who had the best one-liner?  Beto O'ROurke

4. Who was the most gaffe prone? Bill DeBlasio

5. Who was the most specific and organized?  Elizabeth Warren

6. Who was the most personable/likable?  John Delaney

7. Who was the least personable/likable?  Bill DeBlasio

8. Who was the most presidential? Elizabeth Warren

9. Who would be the hardest for Trump to beat in a debate?  Beto O'Rourke

10. Has your opinion changed on any of the candidates  Probably not

my predictions:

WINNERS
Warren
Castro
DOES WELL, NO BIG BOOST
O’Rourke
Booker
UNDERWHELMING
Klobuchar
Delaney
Gabbard
Ryan
TERRIBLE
De Blasio
Inslee

Booker has absolutely no personality. I still find it hard to believe he is a real person. I feel like he would be a diagnosed sociopath. He has no emotion. Plus his eyes are crazy.

Julian Castro, he was consistently specific in his responses, energetic, and sincere. Warren, Booker, and Inslee also did well. Delaney did well, but he's kind of out of touch with most Democrats. 

Tim Ryan had the only really flubbed response. I don't think O'Rourke did as well as he needed to do. 

Not sure that there was a best one-liner. 

Tim Ryan made the only real gaffe. 

Tie with Castro and Warren. 

While they were all fairly personable/likable, I don't think any of them seemed Bidenesque or Bill Clintonesque. 

None stood out. 

Probably Warren. While I think Castro was consistently great in the debate, I think Warren was the most prepared. She could be president today. 

Probably, Warren, Booker, or Delaney. 

My opinion of Castro, De Blasio, and Inslee are higher. They all should see a rise in the polls. No opinions decreased, except for maybe Tim Ryan. 

Here's my 270Soft-like scoring of them:

Delaney 6

De Blasio 7

Inslee 8

Ryan 1

Gabbard 5

Castro 12 *WINNER*

Klobuchar 5

Booker 10

O'Rourke 4

Warren 10

Elizabeth Warren successfully lived up to my high expectations.

Biggest surprise, I think, was Julian Castro.  He gave excellent responses far beyond what I expected of him.

I’ll also give a nod to Bill de Blasio, who also exceeded my non-existent expectations.

Biggest disappointment I think was Beto O’Rourke.  Arguably should have been at least a second place finish but completely failed to stand out on a stage of “who???”s. 

But for the record, nobody passed Pete Buttigieg as my top pick.

Castro, he surprised me

Delaney, Inslee, Ryan, Deblasio

Castro when he was speaking Spanish (smart tactic in Miami)

Tim Ryan, sweet Jesus

Warren

Warren, Castro, Gabbard, and O'Rourke

Booker, Klobuchar

Warren and Castro

O'Rourke

Castro's respect shot up a lot, I used to hate him until now. Tim Ryan's respect shot down three times as much however, which sucks as he's an Ohio native. I like Elizabeth Warren slightly more now. O'Rourke is still a beta cuck.

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Julian Castro, he was consistently specific in his responses, energetic, and sincere. Warren, Booker, and Inslee also did well. Delaney did well, but he's kind of out of touch with most Democrats. 

Tim Ryan had the only really flubbed response. I don't think O'Rourke did as well as he needed to do. 

Not sure that there was a best one-liner. 

Tim Ryan made the only real gaffe. 

Tie with Castro and Warren. 

While they were all fairly personable/likable, I don't think any of them seemed Bidenesque or Bill Clintonesque. 

None stood out. 

Probably Warren. While I think Castro was consistently great in the debate, I think Warren was the most prepared. She could be president today. 

Probably, Warren, Booker, or Delaney. 

My opinion of Castro, De Blasio, and Inslee are higher. They all should see a rise in the polls. No opinions decreased, except for maybe Tim Ryan. 

Here's my 270Soft-like scoring of them:

Delaney 6

De Blasio 7

Inslee 8

Ryan 1

Gabbard 5

Castro 12 *WINNER*

Klobuchar 5

Booker 10

O'Rourke 4

Warren 10

wtf we actually agree on almost everything save for Inslee

2 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Delaney, Inslee, Ryan, Deblasio

Castro when he was speaking Spanish (smart tactic in Miami)

Why do you think Inslee lost the debate? 

In regards to question 3, Booker and O'Rourke also spoke Spanish, and both before Castro did. 

Castro won that debate: he provided cohesive answers, did not sound like he was reading from a prompt, cited many materials showing his grip on politics, and didn't make any gaffes.

Ryan lost that debate after spiraling in foreign policy and not coming back. Gabbard also lost because she couldn't live up to her few policies that she was supported for. Beto also lost because he couldn't bring forward his ideas in a way that would garner support.

The lady asking for her binder when the mics went haywire.

Surprisingly Klobuchar shined how gaffe prone she is, along with Ryan and Delaney, but not so surprisingly.

Castro exceed in specification and organization, with Warren seconding in organization.

Tie between Warren and Castro.

Gabbard, Ryan

Klobuchar; she has the leadership capability, but lacks in many other departments.

De Blasio; he is fierce and wouldn't back down from Trump's tactics.

Warren: Unchanged, just don't like her because she is too progressive.

Beto: Worse, I already didn't like him and he really hit the dumps.

Booker: Somewhat better, as he tend a super middle line performance that impressed me from my dislike of him, reminding me of his race as Newark mayor.

Klobuchar: Worse; she was actually my 3# candidate, but is now 4# or less pending tomorrow's debates.

Castro: Way better, he impressed me a lot and has now officially given me my first opinion of him, which is somewhat positive.

Gabbard: Worse, as she failed to appropriately defend her policies of which I did support.

Ryan: Worse, I had no opinion before and now its god awful.

Inslee: Unchanged, still a climate change nobody.

De Blasio: Unchanged, though I do admire his oratory strength. I just don't like his policies, like Warren.

Delaney: Somewhat worse, I originally somewhat liked him and now he just sank back into the meh category.

Just now, vcczar said:

Why do you think Inslee lost the debate? 

In regards to question 3, Booker and O'Rourke also spoke Spanish, and both before Castro did. 

Inslee just seemed so much like a one-issue candidate, and as one of the smaller fellas in the field his game plan for the debate was different than some of the bigger guys in that his tactic should have been to make as big a splash as possible and I feel like he didn't really say or do anything that would impress me, or anyone else to make them consider voting for him over someone who could actually win. He should have taken the Yang approach.

I didn't see the question 3 part as I only started watching around the halfway mark. But either way the audience really loved that.

1 minute ago, Kingthero said:

The lady asking for her binder when the mics went haywire.

lmao

nb4 @Patine "american comedy sucks"

My politically inactive girlfriend's commentary on the debate: 

(At Tim Ryan) "He has such small teeth!"

(At Deblasio's first appearance) "oh my good, he looks like a villain."

(At Castro acknowledging transgenders) "Oh my God, he dropped the t-word."

(Bill pops up again) "I know! He's the villain from The Hunchback of Notre Dame!"

(At Castro and Beto arguing) "Why is he arguing the Hispanic on immigration reform? Bad move."

(At Delaney) "Why does he keep swallowing?"

(At Tulso Gabbard) "She always stares into the camera. She's giving me those bedroom eyes. She wants it, but doesn't want me to know she wants it."

(At Bill attacking O'Rourke for the 3rd time) "Wow, he really doesn't like him. He's so angry."

(At Tim Ryan) "He looks and acts like an older, daddier Mark Zuckerberg. Maybe an older model."

(At Beto saying that he'd intervene for crimes against humanity) "Ha! You're getting drafted!"

(At Jay Inslee saying Donald Trump is the greatest geopolitical threat to America) "Holy shit. I'm excited for his tweet in 30 seconds."

my opinion on tonight 

Warren won but that was expected 

O'Rourke  was one of the biggest losers tonight 

Castro, Gabbard and De blasio gain some points in my book

Booker and Klobuchar did as expected , both showed potential and presidential leadership but lack in likeability  

Inslee, Danley and Ryan are awful and should  not be in the July debates 

1. Who won the debate and why? Booker.  Benefited from a lot of airtime and had good answers to questions while also largely remaining above the fray of attacks 

2. Who lost the debate and why? Delaney. He loudly struggled for airtime, visibly sweated throughout, and had trouble defending his stances at times.

3. Who had the best one-liner? “If all of us does all that we can.” - Beto O’Rourke

4. Who was the most gaffe prone? Tim Ryan got, frankly, assblasted by Tulsi Gabbard and couldn’t come up with a good response.

5. Who was the most specific and organized? Warren probably was but didn’t show it off in the debate. Instead, it was Castro.

6. Who was the most personable/likable? Sadly, Gabbard did. She had good responses, wasn’t asked any tough questions (other than her past opposition to homosexuality) and talked directly to the camera.

7. Who was the least personable/likable? Tim Ryan droned on about how forgotten Ohio was, lost a back and forth with Gabbard, and came across rather robotic. 

8. Who was the most presidential? Booker, probably

9. Who would be the hardest for Trump to beat in a debate? Unsure, this debate wasn’t the best setting to gauge that because not much actual debating was allowed by the moderators

10. Has your opinion changed on any of the candidates. de Blasio did surprisingly well but I still don’t like him. Lost some respect for Tim Ryan for being caught off guard on something pretty basic like Taliban vs. al Qaeda. 

1. Who won the debate and why? Tulsi Gabbard. Based off google searches after the debate she was the most nationally googled next to Booker in the south. She answered the questions she was given pretty solidly, seemed confident and knowledgeable and played to her strengths well.

2. Who lost the debate and why? Elizabeth Warren. The debate was set up to make her look good, she seemed to be given the most amount of time to speak, but she didn't really do anything memorable or anything to stand out imo, actually I think everybody else had a moment(good or bad) but really her. The one thing she did that did make her stand out Mayor de Blasio did at the same time.

3. Who had the best one-liner? Amy Klobuchar's three women comment, though I think it benefited Warren and Gabbard more than her.

4. Who was the most gaffe prone? Tim Ryan.

5. Who was the most specific and organized? Julian Castro seemed to be the most prepared followed up by Cory Booker.

6. Who was the most personable/likable? Tulsi Gabbard. 

7. Who was the least personable/likable? Jay Inslee or Amy Klobuchar. Inslee I don't know, I just don't really like him, seemed to be kind of desperate. Klobuchar seemed generally bitter and angry.

8. Who was the most presidential? Beto, Booker, Gabbard.

9. Who would be the hardest for Trump to beat in a debate? None of them.

10. Has your opinion changed on any of the candidates? Mayor de Blasio needs to be in the debates going forward. I don't agree with him, but he has a killer instinct that the rest of them really don't have. Also Cory Booker went from "I don't think I would support" to "I could maybe see myself voting for"