270soft Forum
NYrepublican

Tiffany Caban as DA

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/25/us/elections/results-queens-district-attorney-primary-election.html

Queens is screwed if she wins. She's opposed to opening new Jails and wants to close Rikers,  "prosecute ICE",raise the charge standard for misdemeanors from probable cause to beyond a reasonable doubt,Seek Shorter Sentences for Felonies and Advocate Against Death by Incarceration and legalize prostitution, all recreational drug use and selling, and end cash bail.

And this nut is winning.

7 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/25/us/elections/results-queens-district-attorney-primary-election.html

Queens is screwed if she wins. She's opposed to opening new Jails and wants to close Rikers,  "prosecute ICE",raise the charge standard for misdemeanors from probable cause to beyond a reasonable doubt,Seek Shorter Sentences for Felonies and Advocate Against Death by Incarceration and legalize prostitution, all recreational drug use and selling, and end cash bail.

And this nut is winning.

Other than legalizing all recreational, I see nothing wrong with this platform. From everything I've heard, Rikers Island is in unacceptable conditions, comparable to Russian and Turkish jails, and the fact it's still standing is a real embarrassment on the New York law enforcement system. Prostitution should be legalized, regulated, and taxed, and have the HIV/STD-inflected individuals, underage prostitutes, and pimps gotten rid of. And those two legal procedural elements you listed between them could stop many of the abuses of the law-enforcement, judicial, and correctional systems, almost always against poor, young men, from being done with the impunity they. What's your problem here (which I imagine derives from an ivory-tower, detached-from-the-issues, looking-down-from-privilege-from-unworkable-obsolete-old-viewpoints mentality)?

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

Other than legalizing all recreational, I see nothing wrong with this platform. From everything I've heard, Rikers Island is in unacceptable conditions, comparable to Russian and Turkish jails, and the fact it's still standing is a real embarrassment on the New York law enforcement system. Prostitution should be legalized, regulated, and taxed, and have the HIV/STD-inflected individuals, underage prostitutes, and pimps gotten rid of. And those two legal procedural elements you listed between them could stop many of the abuses of the law-enforcement, judicial, and correctional systems, almost always against poor, young men, from being done with the impunity they. What's your problem here (which I imagine derives from an ivory-tower, detached-from-the-issues, looking-down-from-privilege-from-unworkable-obsolete-old-viewpoints mentality)?

Your comment could do well without the bolded section.

Just now, NYrepublican said:

Your comment could do well without the bolded section.

I'm not convinced, from past posts and voluntary biographical information by you, that it's incorrect or inaccurate, but for the sake of argument, what's your response to the rest?

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm not convinced, from past posts and voluntary biographical information by you, that it's incorrect or inaccurate, but for the sake of argument, what's your response to the rest?

You assume that totally on the basis of my prior adoption of more conservative positions. If you have any specific biographical information in mind pls PM me.

You assume that totally on the basis of my prior adoption of more conservative positions. If you have any specific biographical information in mind pls PM me.

Instead of quibbling in pedantry, do something more productive and make a response that'll prove my possibly obsolete assumptions wrong. For crying out loud!

18 minutes ago, Patine said:

The problem with closing Rikers without opening new jails is that there's nowhere to put this people otherwise.  That's the main one that bugs me.

23 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

And this nut is winning.

Oh lord say it ain't so, god knows we need more "tough on crime" politicians. In fact we need, a law everywhere and for everything! A law about fashions, a law about mad dogs, a law about virtue, a law to put a stop to all the vices and all the evils which result from human indolence and cowardice.

In all seriousness I (somewhat) agree with all of the the positions of hers that you listed, I don't see the issue.

The problem with closing Rikers without opening new jails is that there's nowhere to put this people otherwise.  That's the main one that bugs me.

But it's substandard and inhuman conditions.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

But it's substandard and inhuman conditions.

Obviously it needs to be reformed. You don't have to close it to do that.

1 minute ago, WVProgressive said:

Oh lord say it ain't so, god knows we need more "tough on crime" politicians. In fact we need, a law everywhere and for everything! A law about fashions, a law about mad dogs, a law about virtue, a law to put a stop to all the vices and all the evils which result from human indolence and cowardice.

In all seriousness I (somewhat) agree with all of the the positions of hers that you listed, I don't see the issue.

Oh, yes. And when does the law come for the politicians themselves and all the crimes - high crimes, war crimes, crimes against humanity, corruption, malfeasance, treason, and sedition, in many cases - to bring them to justice? There's a question for you, @NYrepublican.

Obviously it needs to be reformed. You don't have to close it to do that.

So, maybe just put them in a concentration camp that just happens NOT to have a gas chamber installed while a new one is built. Conditions would be little worse.

Oh, yes. And when does the law come for the politicians themselves and all the crimes - high crimes, war crimes, crimes against humanity, corruption, malfeasance, treason, and sedition, in many cases - to bring them to justice? There's a question for you, @NYrepublican.

If you believe in God as the ultimate rectifier of injustice then if they are not punished in this life in the afterlife and if you don't then never if they aren't caught.

So, maybe just put them in a concentration camp that just happens NOT to have a gas chamber installed while a new one is built. Conditions would be little worse.

Or get rid of the old leadership and clean up the place, also mandate and enforce laws mandating the humane treatment of prisoners.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

If you believe in God as the ultimate rectifier of injustice then if they are not punished in this life in the afterlife and if you don't then never if they aren't caught.

Yes, but I am still upset by the inequity on Earth, and that so many who CLAIM to fervently follow the Will and Providence of God, support, laud, praise, or gleefully participate in, or at least believe nothing is wrong with, such rampant wickedness and evil on the Earth - even constantly using the Lord's Name in vane to justify a lot of it.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

Or get rid of the old leadership and clean up the place, also mandate and enforce laws mandating the humane treatment of prisoners.

It's a bit difficult when you only have jails and prisons that look like old Soviet barracks and are crumbling, broken down, and overcrowded.

30 minutes ago, Patine said:

It's a bit difficult when you only have jails and prisons that look like old Soviet barracks and are crumbling, broken down, and overcrowded.

I know it's a little more complicated than that but closing down jails indiscrimnately and not building new ones probably doesn't help either.

7 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

I know it's a little more complicated than that but closing down jails indiscrimnately and not building new ones probably doesn't help either.

It's a problem that REALLY should have been dealt with years ago. It would have been a more manageable task then. Long-term thinking is a VERY valuable asset in governance, and the political atmosphere, agendas, and platforms of all major and significant political parties in the Western World to have gleefully tossed it aside in exchange for short-term goals will be a real whirlwind to be reaped, and China's continued strong reliance on long-term planning and governance is why they are rising ascendant.

The abolition of cash bail is an idea picking up steam all over the country.  New Jersey has already done away with it.