270soft Forum
Isaacr88

Incumbancy feature in president Infinity

I remember a few years ago that a highly realistic game mode was talked about being added to president Infinity that actually allowed you to play as the President. Has this been abandoned completely or are we still waiting for a announcement?

1 hour ago, Isaacr88 said:

I remember a few years ago that a highly realistic game mode was talked about being added to president Infinity that actually allowed you to play as the President. Has this been abandoned completely or are we still waiting for a announcement?

I'm not sure what you mean. The incumbent candidate of an election scenario where one is running for re-election is as available to play as any other.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

I'm not sure what you mean. The incumbent candidate of an election scenario where one is running for re-election is as available to play as any other.

I was actually talking about this https://270soft.com/2016/01/30/do-you-want-a-highly-realistic-game-where-you-are-president-vote-here/

I always thought that it would be a really cool addition and was wondering If it was still planned. Apologies if my post was worded weirdly.

15 minutes ago, Isaacr88 said:

I was actually talking about this https://270soft.com/2016/01/30/do-you-want-a-highly-realistic-game-where-you-are-president-vote-here/

I always thought that it would be a really cool addition and was wondering If it was still planned. Apologies if my post was worded weirdly.

Oh. Well, such an incumbency scheme would be very hard to arrange in the current game engine. If an alternate candidate had been elected, all the primaries and opposing candidates, some (in a fair number of cases, many) issues and issue stances would be different, the starting economy and popular support by state percentages could be different, some Mid-Term elections may have switched, and, just imagine calculating what would be the case if, say, Teddy Roosevelt had won in 1912, Henry Wallace in 1948, or Ross Perot in 1992. I think it's FAR too much for this game algorithm to satisfactorily calculate at all. Usually, custom scenarios are made by players who want to explore such possibilities, actually.

25 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I decided against it. However, certain aspects of incumbency might be added to the game.

I think the option of turning on some sort of randomized economic meter that impacts the incumbent or incumbent party will add some realism. You could also allow for some other randomized non-economic hypothetical events. This would make the game seem much more full since we don't have events for the 2020 election yet. 

23 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think the option of turning on some sort of randomized economic meter that impacts the incumbent or incumbent party will add some realism. You could also allow for some other randomized non-economic hypothetical events. This would make the game seem much more full since we don't have events for the 2020 election yet. 

I'd like to see the game fixed from the massive undecided voters and dogpiling flaws it has now. I have only played the game maybe 10 times in the past couple months because it's so broken and random.

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Ya, probably makes sense. You can make hypothetical random scripted events, but a simple check box that turns on 'random events' would be nice.

4 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Ya, probably makes sense. You can make hypothetical random scripted events, but a simple check box that turns on 'random events' would be nice.

I also think I had mentioned the idea of having limits on the incumbent candidate's schedule of activities AS THE CANDIDATE, as opposed to their surrogates, ads, footsoldiers, etc., as they'd be in other countries, hosting foreign state visits, signing bills into law, attending oval office security meetings, and other activities that an actual incumbent President had to do mandatorily by nature of being an incumbent President that took away from prospective personal campaigning time.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

I also think I had mentioned the idea of having limits on the incumbent candidate's schedule of activities AS THE CANDIDATE, as opposed to their surrogates, ads, footsoldiers, etc., as they'd be in other countries, hosting foreign state visits, signing bills into law, attending oval office security meetings, and other activities that an actual incumbent President had to do mandatorily by nature of being an incumbent President that took away from prospective personal campaigning time.

That's a really good idea. Though some of those events should give some sort of media spin or ground support depending on the nature. In that same practice it could damage too. Rather than just limit the incumbent on time to campaign.

On 6/27/2019 at 2:15 PM, vcczar said:

This is already in the game, but really broken and I think it was meant to be removed. Every now and then I get a random event that’s not in the Events screen called “Democratic Bad For Economy!” that has a positive news story of 5 to the Democratic candidate. I also recall one of the contributions to rally and barnstorm power in the info screen being “Economy” but that might have been removed at some point. Not sure if this was an old feature that was meant to be removed or a new feature that was never finished. @admin_270

On 6/29/2019 at 3:43 PM, SirLagsalott said:

Every now and then I get a random event that’s not in the Events screen called “Democratic Bad For Economy!” that has a positive news story of 5 to the Democratic candidate.

Thanks for this - noted.