270soft Forum
HonestAbe

Fundraising...separating the pack

We’ve had a lot of fun talking about all the possibilities for all the neat names and have had fun with everyone’s 15 minutes of fame.  But fundraising will separate the pack quickly.  

Biden announced this week he had pulled in around $20million this cycle.  Buttigieg says he pulled in $7 in one month.  Harris seems to have some sizeable funding.  Of course Bernie has the cash.  

Welve seen little evidence that Warren, Booker, Klobuchar And others are keeping pace. 

Not to be outdone the RNC noted Trump pulled in nearly $25 million on a single day, and has well over $100 in the coffers through the RNC.  Of course he doesn’t have to compete as hard for his cash.  And that 25 might’ve come from 25 people for all we know.  

Long primaries will drain Dem coffers sooner though. 

1 hour ago, HonestAbe said:

Not to be outdone the RNC noted Trump pulled in nearly $25 million on a single day, and has well over $100 in the coffers through the RNC

Another thing I would pay attention to is enthusiasm. Trump just packed a stadium in Orlando with 20K people, on a Tuesday night in June, when he has no significant competition for the primaries.

Who on the Dem side might be able to match or exceed this kind of enthusiasm?

53 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Another thing I would pay attention to is enthusiasm. Trump just packed a stadium in Orlando with 20K people, on a Tuesday night in June, when he has no significant competition for the primaries.

I think that only matters if the Dems can’t regroup after the obvious fracture that will happen during primary season. 

4 hours ago, HonestAbe said:

We’ve had a lot of fun talking about all the possibilities for all the neat names and have had fun with everyone’s 15 minutes of fame.  But fundraising will separate the pack quickly.  

Biden announced this week he had pulled in around $20million this cycle.  Buttigieg says he pulled in $7 in one month.  Harris seems to have some sizeable funding.  Of course Bernie has the cash.  

Welve seen little evidence that Warren, Booker, Klobuchar And others are keeping pace. 

Not to be outdone the RNC noted Trump pulled in nearly $25 million on a single day, and has well over $100 in the coffers through the RNC.  Of course he doesn’t have to compete as hard for his cash.  And that 25 might’ve come from 25 people for all we know.  

Long primaries will drain Dem coffers sooner though. 

3 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Yes, it is unfortunate the Plutocrats will decide this election's results as well by who they bestow their favour on - candidates who likely will be much less in the interests of the common people - the hoi poloi looked down upon by the ultra-rich from atop their skyscrapers.

5 hours ago, Patine said:

- candidates who likely will be much less in the interests of the common people - 

The “common people” posses the power to structure the process anyway they desire.  The current mood might be more a reflection of contentment than apathy. Why are you so quick to ignore that possibility.  I’ll go back to my analogy I’ve used before. Americans spend more money on potato chips annually than all the money spent on a presidential election.  Maybe you are just ignoring the will of the “common people” to suit your narrative, and personal preference. 

11 hours ago, HonestAbe said:

And that 25 might’ve come from 25 people for all we know. 

You realize giving that much is illegal right? And donations are public record on the FEC: https://www.fec.gov/data/receipts/?two_year_transaction_period=2020&cycle=2020&data_type=processed&committee_id=C00580100&min_date=01%2F01%2F2019&max_date=12%2F31%2F2020&line_number=F3P-17A

Giving donations, even large ones are part of the first amendment.

18 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

You realize giving that much is illegal right? And donations are public record on the FEC: https://www.fec.gov/data/receipts/?two_year_transaction_period=2020&cycle=2020&data_type=processed&committee_id=C00580100&min_date=01%2F01%2F2019&max_date=12%2F31%2F2020&line_number=F3P-17A

Giving donations, even large ones are part of the first amendment.

Cash donations to those in power, or aspiring to power, and the implied expectation of reciprocation, is neither "speech" nor "the press," in a strict definition, but is, in fact, the foundation of a corrupt, graft-ridden, Plutocratically-dominated government (or, quite possibly - though hard to prove one way or another at this point - a Supreme Court when they ruled in favour of the "Plutocrats' United/Fuck the Common Citizens" lobby group).

18 hours ago, HonestAbe said:

I think that only matters if the Dems can’t regroup after the obvious fracture that will happen during primary season. 

Competitive primaries are generally good for a campaign.  Look at 2016, when Trump had to fight off a battery of Republicans while Clinton had few serious challenges, or 2000 when Gore was essentially unopposed in the primaries and his campaign never found its focus, or 1992 when Bill Clinton had to come from behind to get the nomination while GHW Bush barely seemed interested in running before October.

I assume Castro and Gillibrand saw some bump too. 

Long way to go for Harris and Buttigieg to catch Biden levels though. 

Harris and Buttigieg aren’t in the “run all over the country” tax bracket yet.  Only Biden and Bernie can do that as of now. 

5 hours ago, HonestAbe said:

I assume Castro and Gillibrand saw some bump too. 

Long way to go for Harris and Buttigieg to catch Biden levels though. 

Harris and Buttigieg aren’t in the “run all over the country” tax bracket yet.  Only Biden and Bernie can do that as of now. 

Jeb! was setting blowout fundraising records at this point in the last election.   Still a lot of time to go.  Personally, Buttigieg is the only candidate I've ever donated to -- and I've donated him to him twice now.  

That's just one data point of course, but the data point is me and therefore it feels very important.  ;c)

Very true on Jeb.  But we are in the election season now. Debates have begun.  That was not the case in ‘16. It’s go time now. 

33 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

RNC/Trump claiming $105,000,000 raised in the second quarter. 

Do you have a link for that?  I couldn't find it.

Even so, I imagine it's about on par with what the Democrats have raised combined, if we're comparing party to party.

I’d assume Dems have raised even more. The difference is Trump can squirrel it all away for the General and the Dems will blow through it all in the primaries. 

Ronna tweeted the number.  

Update: The NY Times has a story up now

per the article that’s 25% (ish) better than in the 2Q of Obama’s third year for comparison.