270soft Forum
RI Democrat

"NAN" is not a valid currency value

This is the message I'm getting when testing my UN Scenario and asking it to display the 2C Instant Runoff percentages, and I'm a little stumped. I did check the main scenario file (which is where currency information is found) and the text "NAN" does not appear there. Any ideas?

24 minutes ago, RI Democrat said:

This is the message I'm getting when testing my UN Scenario and asking it to display the 2C Instant Runoff percentages, and I'm a little stumped. I did check the main scenario file (which is where currency information is found) and the text "NAN" does not appear there. Any ideas?

I hate to break it to you, @RI Democrat, since you mentioned it, but I'm probably going to run a competition elected UN General Assembly scenario to yours at some point, as I just envision the situation ending up very different than how you're proposing it. But, it'll be friendly competition. ;) 

1 hour ago, Patine said:

I hate to break it to you, @RI Democrat, since you mentioned it, but I'm probably going to run a competition elected UN General Assembly scenario to yours at some point, as I just envision the situation ending up very different than how you're proposing it. But, it'll be friendly competition. ;) 

That's fine, I just want to know how to correct this "NAN" error!

9 minutes ago, RI Democrat said:

That's fine, I just want to know how to correct this "NAN" error!

I've seen the error complained about before. I wish I could remember what was said back then.

I think the consensus is that it means "Not a Number," but I'm still not sure why I'm getting it. I did almost all my editing through the built-in campaign editor, and I haven't done anything with money so far besides adjust each party's starting totals. The weird thing is that it only happens when I switch to the 2C view, so I tried checking the ranked choice file too and there's nothing unusual there either.

1 hour ago, RI Democrat said:

I think the consensus is that it means "Not a Number," but I'm still not sure why I'm getting it. I did almost all my editing through the built-in campaign editor, and I haven't done anything with money so far besides adjust each party's starting totals. The weird thing is that it only happens when I switch to the 2C view, so I tried checking the ranked choice file too and there's nothing unusual there either.

Then maybe it's a flaw in Anthony's new polished system. Which parties did you have the preferred vote go to with global parties, and how are the smaller parties (which would hold greater cache in a global election than minor parties in Australia) were made to agree with a system that cuts short their interests conspicuously in the storyline of this election (especially given, I believe you had a Far-Left and Islamist, neither of which I could see holding together as a single party for any purpose - Shia, Salafi, and Wababbi/Deodandi "Islamist Extremists" all in the Party without killing each other?). And, out of curiosity, where do the Post-Soviet Parties of Power, the African Post-Colonial Revolutionary Parties with very mixed and idiosyncratic platforms, and the very wonky (and no longer Communist, ideologically, AT ALL) Workers' Party of Korea sit in this? Some good questions while awaiting Anthony's response, and ones I had considered as well.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Then maybe it's a flaw in Anthony's new polished system. Which parties did you have the preferred vote go to with global parties, and how are the smaller parties (which would hold greater cache in a global election than minor parties in Australia) were made to agree with a system that cuts short their interests conspicuously in the storyline of this election (especially given, I believe you had a Far-Left and Islamist, neither of which I could see holding together as a single party for any purpose - Shia, Salafi, and Wababbi/Deodandi "Islamist Extremists" all in the Party without killing each other?). And, out of curiosity, where do the Post-Soviet Parties of Power, the African Post-Colonial Revolutionary Parties with very mixed and idiosyncratic platforms, and the very wonky (and no longer Communist, ideologically, AT ALL) Workers' Party of Korea sit in this? Some good questions while awaiting Anthony's response, and ones I had considered as well.

I'll reply to this in the thread about the scenario itself instead - I want to make sure Anthony sees the original question.

2 minutes ago, RI Democrat said:

I'll reply to this in the thread about the scenario itself instead - I want to make sure Anthony sees the original question.

Fair enough. And, tagging @admin_270

@admin_270, not to be a nag, but just wondering if you saw this and if anyone else has encountered this problem since the upgrade to 3.0.7? I can provide screenshots and save files if that would help.

One possible detail of relevance is that I haven't yet finished creating party leaders, so maybe the fact that more than one party has the same leader could have something to do with it?

I'm getting this same exact error. The scenario I was using (custom 2019 scenario I'm making) worked before, and all I did was add ranked choice and put flows in.

I had this error in my Custom Australia 2004 scenario. But after it appeared, it also disappeared for some reason I don't remember.

17 hours ago, SirLagsalott said:

I'm getting this same exact error. The scenario I was using (custom 2019 scenario I'm making) worked before, and all I did was add ranked choice and put flows in.

Is yours an Australian scenario, and did you add more parties? I'm wondering if the fact that I have a lot more parties in mine has anything to do with it.

4 hours ago, RI Democrat said:

Is yours an Australian scenario, and did you add more parties? I'm wondering if the fact that I have a lot more parties in mine has anything to do with it.

UK 2019. It may have something to do with the number of parties, it has all the built in ones plus ChUK and Brexit. 

NAN just means 'Not a number'. It means the game is expecting a number, but is getting something else (typically a character). I can look at this, you can attach the campaign (in zipped format) to an e-mail and send it to the e-mail address at https://270soft.com/contact . Please include a detailed description of the error and when it occurs.