270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sunnymentoaddict

The Perfect Candidate.

In 1956, C Wright Mills wrote in The Power Elite what the perfect candidate in the mid-20th Century should  be. It is fairly non-partisian(excluding a brief mentioning of negotiating of behalf of industrialists in labor disputes). How would you update this? 

The perfect candidate for the Presidency of the United States was born some fifty-four years ago in a modest but ramshackled farm house in the pivotal state of Ohio. Of a sizable family, which arrived from England shortly after the Mayflower, he grew up on the farm, performing the traditional chores and thus becoming well acquainted with all farm problems. When he was in high school his father died, the farm was sold, his strong and sensible mother moved the family to a near-by small town, and the struggle began.

The future President worked in his uncle’s factory, quickly becoming a practical expert on all labor and management problems. while putting himself through college. He arrived in France during World War I just in time to make clear, for a full six months, that, in another war with more time, he would undoubtedly be a statesman of note. Returning home, he went to the state law school for two years, married his high-school sweetheart, whose grandfathers fought with the Confederate armies, opened his office, and joined the local party club, as well as the Elks, and in due course the Rotary Club, and attended the Episcopalian church. He is having a very busy life now, but can stand such strains, for it is as if his constitution was built for them. During the ‘twenties, he represented a group of small factories in their relations with labor, and was so successful that during the ‘thirties there was no labor trouble of any consequence. Other companies, noting this as a remarkable fact, also engaged him, and thus, with the publicity, he became mayor of his city in 1935.

As the soldier-statesman and labor-relations expert took hold of the reins, both business and labor acclaimed the skill and vigor of his administration. Although an absolutely regular party man, he remodeled the city government from top to bottom. Came the Second World War, and despite his two young sons, he resigned his mayoralty to become a lieutenant colonel, and a member of a favored general’s staff. He quickly became a statesman versed in Asiatic and European affairs and confidently predicted everything that happened.

A brigadier general, he returned to Ohio after the war and found himself the overwhelming choice for governor. For two terms he has been swept into office, his administration being as efficient as any business, as moral as any church, as warm-hearted as any family. His face is as honest as any business executive’s, his manner as sincere as any salesman’s; in fact, his is something of both, with a touch of grimness and homely geniality all his own. And all this comes through, magnetically, straight to you, through the lens of any camera and the microphone as well.

26 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

In 1956, C Wright Mills wrote in The Power Elite what the perfect candidate in the mid-20th Century should  be. It is fairly non-partisian(excluding a brief mentioning of negotiating of behalf of industrialists in labor disputes). How would you update this? 

The perfect candidate for the Presidency of the United States was born some fifty-four years ago in a modest but ramshackled farm house in the pivotal state of Ohio. Of a sizable family, which arrived from England shortly after the Mayflower, he grew up on the farm, performing the traditional chores and thus becoming well acquainted with all farm problems. When he was in high school his father died, the farm was sold, his strong and sensible mother moved the family to a near-by small town, and the struggle began.

The future President worked in his uncle’s factory, quickly becoming a practical expert on all labor and management problems. while putting himself through college. He arrived in France during World War I just in time to make clear, for a full six months, that, in another war with more time, he would undoubtedly be a statesman of note. Returning home, he went to the state law school for two years, married his high-school sweetheart, whose grandfathers fought with the Confederate armies, opened his office, and joined the local party club, as well as the Elks, and in due course the Rotary Club, and attended the Episcopalian church. He is having a very busy life now, but can stand such strains, for it is as if his constitution was built for them. During the ‘twenties, he represented a group of small factories in their relations with labor, and was so successful that during the ‘thirties there was no labor trouble of any consequence. Other companies, noting this as a remarkable fact, also engaged him, and thus, with the publicity, he became mayor of his city in 1935.

As the soldier-statesman and labor-relations expert took hold of the reins, both business and labor acclaimed the skill and vigor of his administration. Although an absolutely regular party man, he remodeled the city government from top to bottom. Came the Second World War, and despite his two young sons, he resigned his mayoralty to become a lieutenant colonel, and a member of a favored general’s staff. He quickly became a statesman versed in Asiatic and European affairs and confidently predicted everything that happened.

A brigadier general, he returned to Ohio after the war and found himself the overwhelming choice for governor. For two terms he has been swept into office, his administration being as efficient as any business, as moral as any church, as warm-hearted as any family. His face is as honest as any business executive’s, his manner as sincere as any salesman’s; in fact, his is something of both, with a touch of grimness and homely geniality all his own. And all this comes through, magnetically, straight to you, through the lens of any camera and the microphone as well.

How quaint. Yoweri Museveni, the current Ugandan President, is a man born on a farm to a large family, accustomed to a youth of hard work, and a former general. He's also accused of running a corrupt, authoritarian, and socially oppressive regime. This "ideal" profile does need a big update. Besides, I think Barack Obama was the only U.S. President after Eisenhower who actually worked at a "common, workaday job" (at a hot dog stand, when he was young) to actually make a living in his life. And I'm not certain any U.S. Presidents after Eisenhower grew up in a rural background (and don't say the Bushes - they are not FROM Texas ranch country, they just moved there - they're a very urban family from Connecticut). Also, there hasn't been a high-ranking military officer-directly-turned U.S. President since Eisenhower, and only four in U.S. history - Washington, Taylor, and Grant, are the other three. And, I believe a strong rural background and being a high-ranking military officer as major facets of previous experience would be very potential and possible - I dare say probable - detriments and liabilities in modern American society and politics.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

How quaint. Yoweri Museveni, the current Ugandan President, is a man born on a farm to a large family, accustomed to a youth of hard work, and a former general. He's also accused of running a corrupt, authoritarian, and socially oppressive regime. This "ideal" profile does need a big update. Besides, I think Barack Obama was the only U.S. President after Eisenhower who actually worked at a "common, workaday job" (at a hot dog stand, when he was young) to actually make a living in his life. And I'm not certain any U.S. Presidents after Eisenhower grew up in a rural background (and don't say the Bushes - they are not FROM Texas ranch country, they just moved there - they're a very urban family from Connecticut). Also, there hasn't been a high-ranking military officer-directly-turned U.S. President since Eisenhower, and only four in U.S. history - Washington, Taylor, and Grant, are the other three. And, I believe a strong rural background and being a high-ranking military officer as major facets of previous experience would be very potential and possible - I dare say probable - detriments and liabilities in modern American society and politics.

I know Carter famously grew up on a peanut farm in Georgia. Now while it isn't rural, I feel I should include this because of how small the town is; Bill Clinton in Hope, Arkansas. And I believe Reagan worked as a lifeguard while in highschool. 

4 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

I know Carter famously grew up on a peanut farm in Georgia. Now while it isn't rural, I feel I should include this because of how small the town is; Bill Clinton in Hope, Arkansas. And I believe Reagan worked as a lifeguard while in highschool. 

Carter somehow slipped my mind. And I didn't know about Reagan being a lifeguard.

38 minutes ago, Patine said:

Carter somehow slipped my mind. And I didn't know about Reagan being a lifeguard.

George W Bush was a cheerleader, and Barack Obama tried to model for a pin-up calendar but was rejected for not being sexy enough.  

6 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

George W Bush was a cheerleader, and Barack Obama tried to model for a pin-up calendar but was rejected for not being sexy enough.  

Those aren't actually "jobs," per se...

2 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

Nixon certainly didn’t come from wealth either.  

But he also wasn't the perfect candidate. Even before being Vice-President he was major part of the biggest government violation of U.S. Constitutional rights and due process on a large scale and in a capsulated, single-purpose scenario prior to the (un)Patriot Act - as he was a member of House Unamerican Activities Committees - the "Unamerican Activities" referring to their own actions, in truth - during the Inquisition or Witch-Hunt-style "Red Scare." And he didn't ever get any less corrupt or abusive of power - or egotistical.

I'll write my perfect candidate below:

Sex: Male
Height: 6'2
Fitness: Frequent workouts but nothing crazy. Like Dubya.
Orientation: Straight
IQ: 161
Wife: Slightly more attractive than him/ethnicity is Russian-American, Caucasian or Italian-American
Kids: 2-3, as long as the eldest is a male
Party: Democrat-turned-Independent after the election
Vice President: A former Independent governor 
Birthplace: Midwest
Allergies: Penicillin, but he grew out of it past adolescence. Sometimes he sneezes in Spring.
Hobbies: Fishing, hunting, home improvement.
Vices: Drank heavily in college but never an alcoholic. Doesn't smoke but lights cigars on his birthday, during celebrations, and when golfing.
Favorite Color: Green
Experience: Four years in the Air Force, and became a millionaire (not a billionaire) through business and investments. Was a representative for one term, senator for two, and Democratic governor of a red state for two terms before 
Background: Grew up in an upper-middle-class nuclear family. Went to both a private and public school for large portions of his life. Graduated high school with a 3.4 GPA and a scholarship to a business school. He grew up around racism but never took part in it. He had two dogs, one of them named Rufus. He never met his paternal grandfather who died in 'The War' but never specified to any living relatives what war it was. He wore glasses in his youth but his vision corrected itself as he aged. He played football and basketball in high school but slightly preferred football as he was the starting varsity quarterback, which he received a Division I scholarship for. He remained mostly injury free but sprains his ankle in the final five minutes of a championship game on a pass during a tied game - he leaves the field and comes back on next possession. They lose by a field goal and he graduates and goes into business.
Presidential Term: Deescalates all current military conflicts. Heals bipartisanship in Congress. Gets assassinated 41 days into his Presidency, two days before his birthday.

Lemme know what you think.

2 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Gets assassinated 41 days into his Presidency, two days before his birthday.

Doesn't quite sound perfect to me...

5 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I'll write my perfect candidate below:

Sex: Male
Height: 6'2
Fitness: Frequent workouts but nothing crazy. Like Dubya.
Orientation: Straight
IQ: 161
Wife: Slightly more attractive than him/ethnicity is Russian-American, Caucasian or Italian-American
Kids: 2-3, as long as the eldest is a male
Party: Democrat-turned-Independent after the election
Vice President: A former Independent governor 
Birthplace: Midwest
Allergies: Penicillin, but he grew out of it past adolescence. Sometimes he sneezes in Spring.
Hobbies: Fishing, hunting, home improvement.
Vices: Drank heavily in college but never an alcoholic. Doesn't smoke but lights cigars on his birthday, during celebrations, and when golfing.
Favorite Color: Green
Experience: Four years in the Air Force, and became a millionaire (not a billionaire) through business and investments. Was a representative for one term, senator for two, and Democratic governor of a red state for two terms before 
Background: Grew up in an upper-middle-class nuclear family. Went to both a private and public school for large portions of his life. Graduated high school with a 3.4 GPA and a scholarship to a business school. He grew up around racism but never took part in it. He had two dogs, one of them named Rufus. He never met his paternal grandfather who died in 'The War' but never specified to any living relatives what war it was. He wore glasses in his youth but his vision corrected itself as he aged. He played football and basketball in high school but slightly preferred football as he was the starting varsity quarterback, which he received a Division I scholarship for. He remained mostly injury free but sprains his ankle in the final five minutes of a championship game on a pass during a tied game - he leaves the field and comes back on next possession. They lose by a field goal and he graduates and goes into business.
Presidential Term: Deescalates all current military conflicts. Heals bipartisanship in Congress. Gets assassinated 41 days into his Presidency, two days before his birthday.

Lemme know what you think.

WTF was this?