270soft Forum
ThePotatoWalrus

Patine Appreciation Post/Toast

Just now, Actinguy said:

Cheese???  Wait, does poutine have cheese?  I'm out.  

Whoops. Forgot you hated cheese, lol.

3 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Whoops. Forgot you hated cheese, lol.

Just send him to a restaurant in Quebec, call it "fromage," and he'll never know the difference... :P

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

Just send him to a restaurant in Quebec, call it "fromage," and he's never know the difference... :P

Do you like French onion soup? I feel like you're a big french onion soup guy too.

1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Do you like French onion soup? I feel like you're a big french onion soup guy too.

I do, but the only chef that I knew of in Edmonton that REALLY did it justice retired about eight or nine years ago, and then passed away at an untimely early death from medical complications only a few years after retiring. Since then, no chef or cook in the city I'm AWARE of makes a good French Onion soup, though some are passable.

Just now, Patine said:

I do, but the only chef that I knew of in Edmonton that REALLY did it justice retired about eight or nine years ago, and then passed away at an untimely early death from medical complications only a few years after retiring. Since then, no chef or cook in the city I'm AWARE of makes a good French Onion soup, though some are passable.

I'm really good at cooking (and have taken a few classes) and french onion soup is one of my favorite dishes to eat and to serve. (granted, my recipe is mostly a mashup of various other stolen recipes).

Mark my words we gonna meet up some day 10 years from now and it will be the most kickass french onion soup you've ever had.

Texas Roadhouse makes some good french onion soup.

11 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I'm really good at cooking (and have taken a few classes) and french onion soup is one of my favorite dishes to eat and to serve. (granted, my recipe is mostly a mashup of various other stolen recipes).

Mark my words we gonna meet up some day 10 years from now and it will be the most kickass french onion soup you've ever had.

Texas Roadhouse makes some good french onion soup.

Ooh, grab some rolls for me while you're there.

1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

Ooh, grab some rolls for me while you're there.

They do make some pretty good rolls. When I don't get french onion soup I like dipping them in the cheddar potato bacon soup.

20 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

They do make some pretty good rolls. When I don't get french onion soup I like dipping them in the cheddar potato bacon soup.

Here in Canada, we call those baked bread products "dinner buns." When a business advertises selling "rolls," they're selling bulk carpet - by the "roll."

21 minutes ago, Patine said:

Here in Canada, we call those baked bread products "dinner buns." When a business advertises selling "rolls," they're selling bulk carpet - by the "roll."

Lol interesting. Yeah I've never understood why they're called rolls when they're like an oval lol.

Now that I think about it I have never once in my life baked rolls.

On 6/11/2019 at 1:29 PM, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I just wanted to take a minute today, on National Corn on the Cob day to make an appreciation post for one of our forum-favorites @Patine

About goofy holidays, today is International Axe Throwing Day.

3 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

About goofy holidays, today is International Axe Throwing Day.

I used to be really good at throwing knives but quit because it's a useless hobby.

3 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I used to be really good at throwing knives but quit because it's a useless hobby.

A subjective analysis (like most of what you proclaim as absolutes). It depends on the crowd you hang out with and what places you go.

46 minutes ago, Patine said:

A subjective analysis (like most of what you proclaim as absolutes). It depends on the crowd you hang out with and what places you go.

For example, @ThePotatoWalrus, what if you start hanging out with people that you definitely want to stab -- but they also smell bad, so you want to keep your distance from them?

Boom.  Knife throwing.

Very useful in that scenario.

14 hours ago, Actinguy said:

For example, @ThePotatoWalrus, what if you start hanging out with people that you definitely want to stab -- but they also smell bad, so you want to keep your distance from them?

Boom.  Knife throwing.

Great idea! Lol

16 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Boom.  Knife throwing.

As I was saying about the decline of American humour. There used to be very good American comedians and comedy movies, routines, and sitcoms. Now, it ranges from just falling flat to offputting to low-grade-drivel to just stupid. I prefer a British comedy, or a domestic Canadian comedy to an American one any day in the current media zeitgeist.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

As I was saying about the decline of American humour. There used to be very good American comedians and comedy movies, routines, and sitcoms. Now, it ranges from just falling flat to offputting to low-grade-drivel to just stupid. I prefer a British comedy, or a domestic Canadian comedy to an American one any day in the current media zeitgeist.

You wound me, sir.

This hurts worse than that time @ThePotatoWalrus threw a knife at me.

Just now, Actinguy said:

You wound me, sir.

This hurts worse than that time @ThePotatoWalrus threw a knife at me.

Oh, are you an aspiring comedian? You're self-proclaimed life-story post didn't include that part.

41 minutes ago, Patine said:

Oh, are you an aspiring comedian? You're self-proclaimed life-story post didn't include that part.

I am though actually. My inspirations are Norm MacDonald and Daniel Tosh.

1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I've never heard of them. American comedians I grew up with were Eddie Murphy, Dan Akroyd, Carrie Fisher (after the Star Wars Trilogy), Tom Hanks, Pat Morita, Danny DeVito, Kelsey Grammar, (dare I say his name - but we didn't know back then) Bill Cosby, and others. Some of them were rough-edged compared to those from the early '70's and prior, but at least they were often funny, unlike the offputting wannabes that very, very aim for the lowest common demononator and stupidest elements of their audience today.

18 hours ago, Patine said:

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Just to clarify, it's okay for you to speak in subjective analysis like absolutes, but not anybody else? 

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I love Norm. Mentioning him and Tosh in the same sentence is a travesty though. 

1 hour ago, SilentLiberty said:

Just to clarify, it's okay for you to speak in subjective analysis like absolutes, but not anybody else? 

Pointing it out that he had done so is different than pretending I have the authoritarian power or moral right to forbid him to do so. Of course, many today do not see that differentiation in dialogue, which further denegrades the tenor of discourse.

7 hours ago, Patine said:

I've never heard of them. American comedians I grew up with were Eddie Murphy, Dan Akroyd, Carrie Fisher (after the Star Wars Trilogy), Tom Hanks, Pat Morita, Danny DeVito, Kelsey Grammar, (dare I say his name - but we didn't know back then) Bill Cosby, and others. Some of them were rough-edged compared to those from the early '70's and prior, but at least they were often funny, unlike the offputting wannabes that very, very aim for the lowest common demononator and stupidest elements of their audience today.

Bill Cosby was a great comedian in his day. I don't like female comics though, Tina Fey and Amy Schumer and all them don't really make me laugh.

6 hours ago, jnewt said:

I love Norm. Mentioning him and Tosh in the same sentence is a travesty though. 

Yes, Norm is so great. In journalism for one of our projects I wrote like my own Weekend Update script where I'd make fun of local news and stuff happening at the school like he did and won an award for best thing. Daniel Tosh is probably my favorite active comedian (Norm still does stuff but I don't know if I'd call him 'active' anymore)