270soft Forum
admin_270

The Bumper Cars Primaries

With now both Gov. Steve Bullock (MT) and Mayor Bill de Blasio (NY) running for President, my sense is that things are starting to feel like bumper cars.

The Democratic field is now making the 2016 Republican field look sparse. When there are this many candidates, it becomes more and more important to figure out how to simply get attention. The ability to get attention was one of Trump's key tactics that helped him stand out in a (albeit lesser) crowded field.

Does this set the stage for more and more irresponsible rhetoric on the Democratic side? Or will there be a level of decorum that is ensured by a big common enemy and a lack of a Trump equivalent on the Democratic side?

23 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

With now both Gov. Steve Bullock (MT) and Mayor Bill De Blasio (NY) running for President, my sense is that things are starting to feel like bumper cars.

The Democratic field is now making the 2016 Republican field look sparse. When there are this many candidates, it becomes more and more important to figure out how to simply get attention. The ability to get attention was one of Trump's key tactics that helped him stand out in a (albeit lesser) crowded field.

Does this set the stage for more and more irresponsible rhetoric on the Democratic side? Or will there be a level of decorum that is ensured by a big common enemy and a lack of a Trump equivalent on the Democratic side?

I think there are two groups in the Democrat party (and here I think I'm referring mostly to voters, not candidates).

1)  Those who insist on decorum and not taking too many shots on each other.  The only goal that actually matters is defeating Donald Trump.  Let's all work together to get that done, and THEN focus on what comes next.  I consider myself to be in that group.

2)  Those who just want to see the world...or at least the Democrat base...burn.  These are the "my way or the highway" voters, who say if they don't get their candidate nominated, they're voting for Trump.   These are the ones who I think will be pushing for the bumper car approach.

Is one side larger than the other?  I certainly hope the first group is, but that's just hope.

Eventually all the candidates are going to start having to go after each other, right now they are taking soft blows at each other. Like Harris saying Biden would be a good running mate, as vice president, again. Soon they'll have to take the kid gloves off. Even Beto recently 'rebooted' his campaign for more attention.

1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

I think there are two groups in the Democrat party (and here I think I'm referring mostly to voters, not candidates).

1)  Those who insist on decorum and not taking too many shots on each other.  The only goal that actually matters is defeating Donald Trump.  Let's all work together to get that done, and THEN focus on what comes next.  I consider myself to be in that group.

2)  Those who just want to see the world...or at least the Democrat base...burn.  These are the "my way or the highway" voters, who say if they don't get their candidate nominated, they're voting for Trump.   These are the ones who I think will be pushing for the bumper car approach.

Is one side larger than the other?  I certainly hope the first group is, but that's just hope.

That's very narrow-minded to think there's only two groups, If everything is fair and there's not shady behind the scenes corruption I will happily vote for the Democratic nominee. However if for example a progressive gets the majority of the popular vote but it goes to a second-round and they choose a more of a Centrist and the vice president candidate is not a progressive I'm not voting Democrat, but that doesn't mean I'm voting for Trump. 

2 hours ago, admin_270 said:

With now both Gov. Steve Bullock (MT) and Mayor Bill De Blasio (NY) running for President, my sense is that things are starting to feel like bumper cars.

It will inevitably get very very messy.  Whoever the nominee is will have just a couple months to repair and unite the party.  It’ll be very messy. Dems should’ve had this ironed out 2 years ago to put a real effort campaigning against Trump.  The lack of party leadership is evident with this large field. Party is in turmoil and trying to find its way.  

Ok.  There's group 1, there's group 2, and apparently there's a group 3 that is actually group 1 unless they don't like the outcome and then they're removing themselves from either group.

And again you're just further proving your ignorance. I literally just said if everything is fair and the candidate I don't like wins fairly, I will vote for them but if there is shady behind the scenes corruption and they decide to spit in the face of the democratic base (progressives) like they did in 2016, why should people vote for them? But you're just going to go to misconstrue my position so I don't really care at all. 

How about instead of just saying there's only a select few groups you just recognize that every single voter is an individual? But that's group think.

44 minutes ago, Dr. Insano said:

How about instead of just saying there's only a select few groups you just recognize that every single voter is an individual? But that's group think.

Ok, except that's not how politics work.  Nobody can possibly win by catering their campaign to literally every voter -- or even the majority of them.  Voting blocs do exist.  Demographics do exist.  "Anyone but Trump" does exist.  "If you don't give me my candidate, I will burn this country to the ground" does exist.  It's not group think to acknowledge that groups exist.

On 5/16/2019 at 12:58 PM, admin_270 said:

With now both Gov. Steve Bullock (MT) and Mayor Bill de Blasio (NY) running for President, my sense is that things are starting to feel like bumper cars.

De Blasio will drop out quickly.