270soft Forum
admin_270

Is Steve Bullock the new dark horse candidate for the Democratic primaries?

Gov. Steve Bullock (Montana) announced for the Democratic nomination recently.

He has

- won a state wide election as a Democrat in a red state

- won re-election in said state

- been AG

- is current chair of the National Governors Association

- arguably above average charisma

- is in the right age range (45-75) historically for candidates who take office as President (53).

Could he be the new dark horse to win the primaries?

He has a lot to offer the conversation. But a mountain to climb in terms of name ID. 

5 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

He has a lot to offer the conversation. But a mountain to climb in terms of name ID. 

Is that a pun about the geography of a good part of his State? :P

I'm somewhat interested in his candidacy. Democrats can't afford to write off rural America altogether - they might be able to win the House and the Presidency without much rural support, but the Senate would be an uphill climb. I don't know if he'll get far, but he at least has a reason for entering the race beyond just "I'm a Democrat who's been in politics for a while now and I don't have anything better to do at the moment," which is more than I can say for somebody like Seth Moulton or Michael Bennet.

(Or, now, DeBlasio. Somebody please make it stop already.)

17 minutes ago, RI Democrat said:

I'm somewhat interested in his candidacy. Democrats can't afford to write off rural America altogether - they might be able to win the House and the Presidency without much rural support, but the Senate would be an uphill climb. I don't know if he'll get far, but he at least has a reason for entering the race beyond just "I'm a Democrat who's been in politics for a while now and I don't have anything better to do at the moment," which is more than I can say for somebody like Seth Moulton or Michael Bennet.

I don't know. I think his constituency is eliminated by people like Hickenlooper or Biden being in the race. He could've simply offered support and ran for Senate or something such as that instead. I'm getting tired of people entering the race just for the sake of running for President. The Senate and governorships are still very important to have under control for the next generation. 

On 5/15/2019 at 6:54 PM, TheLiberalKitten said:

I wish that he would run for the Senate instead :(

Agree.  All these candidates should focus on state, local, and other Federal elections.

3 minutes ago, Jayavarman said:

Agree.  All these candidates should focus on state, local, and other Federal elections.

Exactly! State and local is rather important, just as much as the Presidency.

On 5/16/2019 at 10:47 AM, Hestia11 said:

I don't know. I think his constituency is eliminated by people like Hickenlooper or Biden being in the race. He could've simply offered support and ran for Senate or something such as that instead. I'm getting tired of people entering the race just for the sake of running for President. The Senate and governorships are still very important to have under control for the next generation. 

Bullock is probably one of the candidates I like best. I'd prefer if everyone else withdrew and ran for governor or Senate. :P

Every democratic front-runners have something which highlights their campain

-Kamala she's a woman from diverses origins

-Beto is young and really progressive on society 

-Buttigieg is constantly harassed by extremists morons which BOOSTS his campain a lot + he's a former soldier and LT in navy (like someone named Kennedy, picture is sometimes important)

-Sanders is the symbol of Social Democracy in America

-Warren is also one of this symbol

Excepted :

-Biden but if Biden had not been VP of Pres Obama he would not be at 38% today. All his vote comes from medias which tell democrats he's the guy that can beat Trump the most.

And democrats want Trump out by 2020.

(Even if some polls suggest that Beto could do as well as him for example)

It's difficult for Bullock, as a moderate democrat who hasn't anything special to become a dark horse 😕