Jump to content
270soft Forum
lok1999

Things to improve with new IRV feature

Recommended Posts

here are a couple of things that need fixing/could be improved

-A Lab-L/NP 2PP figure nationally and per seat would be nice (I like a lot of detail in results)

-You cannot have undecideds when talking about 2PP/2CP. That needs to be fixed so that only the decided vote is factored into the 2PP/2CP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I considered implementing a 2P in addition to the 2C. The problem is that 1. the 2P figure is to an extent idiosyncratic (applies in Australia's case, but may not in various other situations using Instant-Runoff) and 2. it's not clear how it's calculated - in a sense, there isn't actually a 2P number, because some seats aren't won by the Coalition parties or Labor. The 2C number comes pretty close to giving you a 2P number (just combine the Liberal and National numbers), without these issues.

What do you mean by 'you cannot have undecideds'? If the person is undecided, it seems tough to do an Instant-Runoff for them, since they have no clear 1st choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

I considered implementing a 2P in addition to the 2C. The problem is that 1. the 2P figure is to an extent idiosyncratic (applies in Australia's case, but may not in various other situations using Instant-Runoff) and 2. it's not clear how it's calculated - in a sense, there isn't actually a 2P number, because some seats aren't won by the Coalition parties or Labor. The 2C number comes pretty close to giving you a 2P number (just combine the Liberal and National numbers), without these issues.

What do you mean by 'you cannot have undecideds'? If the person is undecided, it seems tough to do an Instant-Runoff for them, since they have no clear 1st choice.

So, if this is being updated, when do we finally get long-needed MMP and PR engines put out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

@Patine

No ETA for MMP or PR.

So, the electoral systems collectively of the literal MJORITY of elected bodies and actual elections in the world today that are in any way, shape, or form free-and-fair casually dismissed and given bottom priority again. I say boo! Check your priorities! I think you need a better sense of perspective here. You're sitting on a gold mine with this game, and you're too timid to dig below the first upper layers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

@Patine

Can you think of an upcoming election (within the next 2 years or so, but no closer than a few months) that could act as a hook for developing MMP or PR?

That's another problem. Your marketing scheme artificially limits you too much - and, by proxy, limits the products we can reasonably expect. You need to think bigger!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

@Patine

Can you think of an upcoming election (within the next 2 years or so, but no closer than a few months) that could act as a hook for developing MMP or PR?

New Zealand 2020 for MMP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

@Patine

Can you think of an upcoming election (within the next 2 years or so, but no closer than a few months) that could act as a hook for developing MMP or PR?

Germany 2021 MMP :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both of these are good possibilities. Germany is a big polity, which is a plus, but tough because of the language barrier. NZ is probably a good test case for launching an MMP feature, even though it only has 5M people. Then Germany could be added in 2021. We'll see - the schedule is pretty full, but it might happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheLiberalKitten said:

A suggestion that you can even do is past German Elections such as 2009 or 2005 as the information for them is available in Chancellor Forever.

It would certainly help to make a stronger German product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

It would certainly help to make a stronger German product.

It certainly would. If you need any help with image editing. I can help with party logos or leader images. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FPP is the vote using first preferences (what a voter ranks as 1st). Instant-Runoff removes candidates until one candidate has > 50% in a given constituency. Instant-Runoff 2C removes all candidates but 2 for all constituencies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×