270soft Forum
vcczar

Truce and Terms

Unpopular opinion - nothing is inherently wrong on the forum. People have become too thin-skinned and get offended when their one-sided world view is challenged. Goes for both sides but mainly the left. I will also admit that I did pretty much nothing to remedy any supposed toxic behavior here.

Thin skin is a portion of the blame for the tension here.  But we really need to elevate the level of conversation here too. A lot of juvenile comments (myself included) occur. A lot of posts in here don’t cut the mustard and would get a big fat F if used in an AP Government class.  That then frustrates the opposing view holder, and it devolves.  We all can do better....let’s be better.  

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Unpopular opinion - nothing is inherently wrong on the forum. People have become too thin-skinned and get offended when their one-sided world view is challenged. Goes for both sides but mainly the left. I will also admit that I did pretty much nothing to remedy any supposed toxic behavior here.

55 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

Thin skin is a portion of the blame for the tension here.  But we really need to elevate the level of conversation here too. A lot of juvenile comments (myself included) occur. A lot of posts in here don’t cut the mustard and would get a big fat F if used in an AP Government class.  That then frustrates the opposing view holder, and it devolves.  We all can do better....let’s be better.  

Something everyone could do better is using statistics to back up opinions, which I think would allow people to have fact-based discussion rather than delving into hyperbole and grandstanding. 

4 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Something everyone could do better is using statistics to back up opinions, which I think would allow people to have fact-based discussion rather than delving into hyperbole and grandstanding. 

More data is always a good thing.  

12 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

8 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

More data is always a good thing.  

The greatest speakers and writers in the socio-political sphere use both, and mix them freely - like I do.

17 minutes ago, Patine said:

The greatest speakers and writers in the socio-political sphere use both, and mix them freely - like I do.

You didn’t give data to back up this claim. :) 

2 hours ago, HonestAbe said:

You are just being irritating now...

9 hours ago, Patine said:

You are just being irritating now...

Well in all fairness, he's not being irritating (as that was a humorous off-the-cuff remark), you're just getting irritated. And as Potato said, we all ought to have thicker skin than that.

5 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Well in all fairness, he's not being irritating (as that was a humorous off-the-cuff remark), you're just getting irritated. And as Potato said, we all ought to have thicker skin than that.

It was a pretty funny remark.

6 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

1 hour ago, SilentLiberty said:

It was a pretty funny remark.

Humour is subjective.

19 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I'd agree for the most part outside of one member I've made clear I cannot tolerate. 

38 minutes ago, Patine said:

Humour is subjective.

Yes, kind of like how,

18 hours ago, Patine said:

saying that without any data to back it up is more an opinion.

2 hours ago, SilentLiberty said:

Yes, kind of like how,

saying that without any data to back it up is more an opinion.

Yes, it was an opinion. Just like @HonestAbe's preferring those who make much greater use of hard statistics over hyperbole is his own personal preference and opinion. Is their a point that makes my posts wanting compared to his in this regard?

On 5/14/2019 at 5:37 PM, Patine said:

So am I. If it were a television series, the network should cancel it. Unfortunately, it's not...

If it were a television series, the producers would be fired for introducing too many superfluous secondary characters and sending the casting budget through the roof.

On 5/15/2019 at 7:02 PM, HonestAbe said:

This is a very good point...but at the same time, when we're talking about current events, I'm not sure how to actually use data to truly convince anyone of anything.

Show me data, I'll show you counter data.  Show me counter counter data, I'll show you counter counter counter data.  I expect that, thanks to selective exposure and cognitive dissonance and just plain old stubbornness, few minds change thanks to political arguments on here or Facebook or twitter or elsewhere.

I've certainly changed my mind about things over time, and I'm sure others have to, but I doubt many of these changes can be traced back to someone specifically challenging us online.  I expect these changes come about more slowly.

Thus, it doesn't really matter what grade we would earn in AP Government.  We''ll still...on all sides...just be either screaming into our echo chamber or pissing into the wind.

5 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

This is a very good point...but at the same time, when we're talking about current events, I'm not sure how to actually use data to truly convince anyone of anything.

Show me data, I'll show you counter data.  Show me counter counter data, I'll show you counter counter counter data.  I expect that, thanks to selective exposure and cognitive dissonance and just plain old stubbornness, few minds change thanks to political arguments on here or Facebook or twitter or elsewhere.

I've certainly changed my mind about things over time, and I'm sure others have to, but I doubt many of these changes can be traced back to someone specifically challenging us online.  I expect these changes come about more slowly.

Thus, it doesn't really matter what grade we would earn in AP Government.  We''ll still...on all sides...just be either screaming into our echo chamber or pissing into the wind.

I guess I’m trying to say is that when we’re talking about current events in particular, we’re not just talking about data.  We’re talking about morals. Values.  Emotions.

You can come at me with a bar graph of the crimes committed by illegal immigrants over the past century, but it’s never going to move me like a photo of a child in a cage does.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:29 PM, HonestAbe said:

lmao