270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Actinguy

Who should drop out?

There are now nearly 20 declared Democrat candidates for the 2020 election. Which, if any, should resign to make room for the rest?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. There are now nearly 20 declared Democrat candidates for the 2020 election. Which, if any, should drop out ASAP to make room for the rest?

• Michael Bennet, Senator, Colorado
    • Joe Biden, former Vice President, Delaware
    • Cory Booker, Senator, New Jersey
    • Pete Buttigieg, Mayor, Indiana
    • Julian Castro, former Secretary of Housing & Urban Development, Texas
    • John Delaney, former Representative, Maryland
    • Tulsi Gabbard, Representative, Hawaii
    • Kirsten Gillibrand, Senator, New York
    • Mike Gravel, former Senator, Alaska
    • Kamala Harris, Senator, California
    • John Hickenlooper, former Governor, Colorado
    • Jay Inslee, Governor, Washington
    • Amy Klobuchar, Senator, Minnesota
    • Wayne Messam, Mayor, Florida
    • Seth Moulton, Representative, Massachusetts
    • Beto O'Rourke, former Representative, Texas
    • Tim Ryan, Representative, Ohio
    • Bernie Sanders, Senator, Vermont
    • Eric Swalwell, Representative, California
    • Elizabeth Warren, Senator, Massachusetts
  2. 2. Same question, ran out of space

• Marianne Williamson, author, California
    • Andrew Yang, entrepreneur, New York
    • Nobody should drop out -- let them all stay in and play it out.

I had to vote for "nobody should drop out" to submit the votes but that's not my belief.

I went with, predominantly, the lesser-known white men (+Beto) who don't really have anything interesting to add. Klobuchar too-- I don't think she's contributing much to the field, as well as Castro (though I think Castro is just being under-reported but hasn't been able to catch fire, while Klobuchar just doesn't have much.)

I kept the more idealistic/ideologue candidates in because they want to frame the discussion and are bringing up issues whether or not they win (Gravel for anti-imperialism, Williamson for reparations and Department of Peace, etc,) but voted out Inslee because climate change is already a top topic and he's not really moving the needle on it.

I vote Swallwell, Messam, Bennet, Delaney, and Moulton. I don't understand why any of them are in the race in the first place and don't even know who Messam is.

Gabbard and Gravel should also drop out, but not to "make room" exactly - rather Gabbard because of some odd foreign policy views and Gravel because his candidacy doesn't seem particularly serious. Would he even be doing this if a couple people hadn't started screwing around with his Twitter account?

Bullock and O'Rourke, if if it's clear by the end of the year that their candidacies aren't going anywhere, should drop out and challenge the GOP Senate incumbents in their home states instead. Maybe Hickenlooper too, though I tend to think that Colorado Dems have a decent chance of beating Gardner even without him.

Tim Ryan and Jay Inslee are actually my two favorites in the field, and I gave them each a small donation to try to help them get into the debates. Ryan has similar appeal as Sherrod Brown (who would have been my ideal choice), and Inslee's focus on climate change is important. I won't be surprised if one or both are out by the time we actually start voting next year, though.

On 5/14/2019 at 12:37 PM, RI Democrat said:

and Inslee's focus on climate change is important.

That is my biggest draw to Inslee. He is the only candidate to make climate change a number one policy concern, which is how the issue should be treated. I fully understand being concerned over health care, gun control, etc but at the end of the day those are all issues that can be put in the number 2 spot. We have plenty of time to work on those issues, but not on climate change. Change must come immediately or we will reach a point where we cannot recover from. 

So, in conclusion, #Inslee2020

5 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

That is my biggest draw to Inslee. He is the only candidate to make climate change a number one policy concern, which is how the issue should be treated. I fully understand being concerned over health care, gun control, etc but at the end of the day those are all issues that can be put in the number 2 spot. We have plenty of time to work on those issues, but not on climate change. Change must come immediately or we will reach a point where we cannot recover from. 

So, in conclusion, #Inslee2020

Perfectly valid, though I'd caution we might not have as much time on gun control as we think.

In 2014, there was an active shooter at the hospital where I work.

In 2017, there was an active shooter at the college where my dad works.

In 2019, there was an active shooter at the college where my cousin goes to school.

Thankfully, all three of us made it out alive.  But it's reached a point where I no longer think of WILL this happen again.  I just think of WHO will this happen to next.