270soft Forum
SilentLiberty

Potential Democratic Candidates Poll

Potential Democratic Candidates Poll  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Of these who will run for Pres. in 2020? Selected as many or as few as you think.

• Stacey Abrams
    • Jerry Brown
    • Steve Bullock
    • Lincoln Chafee
    • Roy Cooper
    • Luis Gutierrez
    • Maggie Hassan
    • Tim Kaine
    • Jason Kander
    • John Kerry
    • Mitch Landrieu
    • Gina Raimondo
    • Brian Schatz
    • Sally Yates
    • Jamie Dimon
    • Dwayne Johnson
    • Michelle Obama
    • Oprah Winfrey
    • Hillary Clinton
    • James Comey
  2. 2. Should more Democrats run?

Will an already pretty crowded field, and the debates coming up quick, could someone else announce? Will someone else announce?

Misclicked Chafee - supposed to be Bullock. Undecided because I don't think there's many more people with unique ideas to run, but yes because if they do have new ideas, they should run.

34 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Misclicked Chafee - supposed to be Bullock. Undecided because I don't think there's many more people with unique ideas to run, but yes because if they do have new ideas, they should run.

Gotcha on the misclick.

Yeah that's more or less why I'm undecided too, and I do think new ideas have a place so if it takes a new voice to push it forward so be it, but there is just soooo many people running as it is. I'm torn hah.

If James Comey were to run- not that he should for way too many reasons- what party would he be in? For all intents and purposes, he is a moderate center/center-right suburban Republican; however that is no longer the base. And he would certainly not go far beyond the neo-lib/centrists areas in the Democratic Primary(the suburbs of DC and NYC).

13 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

If James Comey were to run- not that he should for way too many reasons- what party would he be in? For all intents and purposes, he is a moderate center/center-right suburban Republican; however that is no longer the base. And he would certainly not go far beyond the neo-lib/centrists areas in the Democratic Primary(the suburbs of DC and NYC).

He's listed as an independent currently, and I don't think he will run but he has been floated around before, and he makes those 'dad jokes' on twitter about running and being 'in the middle' even though he's also said that he won't run during a town hall...but then why have a town hall? I also included him because he'd likely have an easier time in the Democratic primary as a center candidate as opposed to running as an independent, now I'm not saying he'd get any support when I say easier time, I just mean he'd probably get less flack for it.

24 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

He's listed as an independent currently, and I don't think he will run but he has been floated around before, and he makes those 'dad jokes' on twitter about running and being 'in the middle' even though he's also said that he won't run during a town hall...but then why have a town hall? I also included him because he'd likely have an easier time in the Democratic primary as a center candidate as opposed to running as an independent, now I'm not saying he'd get any support when I say easier time, I just mean he'd probably get less flack for it.

I'm sure he will get less flack in theory if he were to run as a Democrat. And I can already picture the countless NYTimes and The Atlantic posts saying "Comey's run as a Democrat signal the Republican end of a voting bloc" lol. 

I'm so sick of these egomaniacs running for president. It's obvious that the Democratic establishment is trying to make sure that the convention goes to a second ballot so the superdelegates can choose their preferred candidate. If this happens I think it'll be the end of the Democratic Party and we'll get four more years of Trump. The fault will fall squarely on the Democratic Party establishment. I'm thankful that Ohio is an Open Primary State because I will never register as a Democrat because frankly I'm sick of the bullcrap they keep pulling on people. 

8 minutes ago, Dr. Insano said:

I'm so sick of these egomaniacs running for president. It's obvious that the Democratic establishment is trying to make sure that the convention goes to a second ballot so the superdelegates can choose their preferred candidate. If this happens I think it'll be the end of the Democratic Party and we'll get four more years of Trump. The fault will fall squarely on the Democratic Party establishment. I'm thankful that Ohio is an Open Primary State because I will never register as a Democrat because frankly I'm sick of the bullcrap they keep pulling on people. 

Careful, you'll have moralizing Liberals come out of the woodwork to tell you about how much of a "bad" person you are for being unwilling to voting for someone who's political ideology is no diffrent than Trump, other than that he dresses it up nicer. If you're a Progressive the Democrats are playing you for a political chump, and if you vote for them, you're not only a political chump, you're a traitor to the ideas you claim to fight for.

Honestly if the Democrats do nominate another Neoliberal, they deserve to be forgotten as a political party, it's not like voting changes anything. The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them. Change has to come not from voting for one of the “lesser evils”, but social movements of ordinary people, workers in trade unions, protesters on the streets, that's what causes change, not politicians, who will always be controlled by whoever controls industry.

17 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Careful, you'll have moralizing Liberals come out of the woodwork to tell you about how much of a "bad" person you are for being unwilling to voting for someone who's political ideology is no diffrent than Trump, other than that he dresses it up nicer. If you're a Progressive the Democrats are playing you for a political chump, and if you vote for them, you're not only a political chump, you're a traitor to the ideas you claim to fight for.

Honestly if the Democrats do nominate another Neoliberal, they deserve to be forgotten as a political party, it's not like voting changes anything. The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them. Change has to come not from voting for one of the “lesser evils”, but social movements of ordinary people, workers in trade unions, protesters on the streets, that's what causes change, not politicians, who will always be controlled by whoever controls industry.

Man, I have to hand it to you, it's been a good while since I have seen this level of 2kool4skool political edgelord angst expressed in such high concentration. Kudos. 

30 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Man, I have to hand it to you, it's been a good while since I have seen this level of 2kool4skool political edgelord angst expressed in such high concentration. Kudos. 

Thanks I guess? I might have been a bit provocative, but you've been known to make similarly provocative statements in the past, so I don't think you're one to pass judgment on that.

1 hour ago, WVProgressive said:

Thanks I guess? I might have been a bit provocative, but you've been known to make similarly provocative statements in the past, so I don't think you're one to pass judgment on that.

I think all the regular posters here have made provocative comments and posts, myself included.

15 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

Intense eyerolling

You have to seriously be thick to look at a blatant nationalist/conservative such as Trump, and a liberal such as Beto(not a Beto supporter, but I feel he wrongly gets attacked for being a neo-liberal) and go, "OH my! I cant see the difference! Both are just the same!" One man nominates justices to the high court that hates unions, and he taps into racial animus; and the other wants to embrace a multicultural identity of the US, while proposing government programs.

It is fully understandable that you have a preference on who should be the Democratic Party nominee and there will be minor squabbles on why x-candidate should get it. However, do not let good be the enemy of perfect. Donald Trump is a blatant nationalist with a hellbent conservative agenda-which you and I clearly agree is a bit a bad. However, because candidate y and z do not follow all of your ideals, you go, "Why bother voting?" You know what happens when you don't vote? The candidate you agree with roughly 70-80% of the time loses, and the candidate you disagree with 100% of the time wins. 

Also, this may or may not be a minor point, but given that neo-liberalism means to dergulate the markets and to reduce government spending(Bill Clinton in the 1990's), I really don't see anyone in the current field that can accurately be called a neoliberal. Nearly all candidates agree more social spending should occur, and taxes should be raised- though all have minor disagreements on the amount being appropriate(fully understandable).

32 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Intense eyerolling

You have to seriously be thick to look at a blatant nationalist/conservative such as Trump.

When did Trump become a conservative? He's about as conservative as Clinton is liberal. Which was a big part of why the 2016 U.S. Presidential cheated everyone and pulled a hoodwink over everyone's eyes, because there was no conservative or liberal nominated by either party - only two sociopathic, apathetic, opportunistic, lying-and-cheating, flip-flopping power-mongers in the mold of Nixon - just with very different takes on, and faces of, the concept.

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

When did Trump become a conservative? He's about as conservative as Clinton is liberal. Which was a big part of why the 2016 U.S. Presidential cheated everyone and pulled a hoodwink over everyone's eyes, because there was no conservative or liberal nominated by either party - only two sociopathic, apathetic, opportunistic, lying-and-cheating, flip-flopping power-mongers in the mold of Nixon - just with very different takes on, and faces of, the concept.

Cutting taxes, cutting regulations, nominating men that hold conservative view to Federal judicial seats- how can you get more conservative than that?! Also his strong stance towards immigration. Sure there are a few caveats to his conservatism- trade being the most obvious. But he is a conservative president. 

2 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Cutting taxes, cutting regulations, nominating men that hold conservative view to Federal judicial seats- how can you get more conservative than that?! Also his strong stance towards immigration. Sure there are a few caveats to his conservatism- trade being the most obvious. But he is a conservative president. 

It's called pandering to the demographic that elected him. He's been in the public eye for more than 30 years, and has never come across as personally conservatively in anything he actually believes. Nor personally liberal, either. Mostly self-promoting ego-stroking and showmanship, really.