Jump to content
270soft Forum
Harris/Ernst 2020

Senator March Madness Finale

Finale  

20 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which is better?


  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/2019 at 04:59 AM

Recommended Posts

 
 
 
14 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

I support gun ownership, especially for poor and black people, unlike Ronald Reagan.

13% = 52%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

13% = 52%

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Patine said:

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

It's suppose to mean that even though African Americans are 13 percent of the population they commit 52 percent of the crimes. It's a pretty popular meme stat in more right wing groups. I'm unsure if it's even the exact numbers but that's more or less the stat they use. I'm not going to say it's racist in and of itself, but it leans that way pretty heavily imo.

Not only that there is no actuate way to measure crime statistics anyway.

Probably best to just ignore it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Patine @SilentLiberty the US Department of Justice concluded that from 1980-2008 African American's accounted for 52.5% of all homicides committed in the United States. This is a strange anomaly considering that they only make up usually a little less than 13% of the population. The same report also shows that 93% of all black homicide victims were murdered by other African Americans. Sure, these statistics have become a meme, but they're still true.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf (page 3, under offenders)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

@Patine @SilentLiberty the US Department of Justice concluded that from 1980-2008 African American's accounted for 52.5% of all homicides committed in the United States. This is a strange anomaly considering that they only make up usually a little less than 13% of the population. The same report also shows that 93% of all black homicide victims were murdered by other African Americans. Sure, these statistics have become a meme, but they're still true.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf (page 3, under offenders)

But, wouldn't denying them firearms because of this purported statistic, or restricting their access - racial profiling law enforcement - be a high infringement to the gun rights lobby, whose rhetoric on gun ownership is always stated in terms of an absolute right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

@Patine @SilentLiberty the US Department of Justice concluded that from 1980-2008 African American's accounted for 52.5% of all homicides committed in the United States. This is a strange anomaly considering that they only make up usually a little less than 13% of the population. The same report also shows that 93% of all black homicide victims were murdered by other African Americans. Sure, these statistics have become a meme, but they're still true.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf (page 3, under offenders)

They actually make up about 14% now I believe. My distaste for the stat in meme form is I've seen it used in racist ways, it's not normally meant in a 'what can we do to solve this problem' but rather 'lol black people' which does no help to anyone, in fact it further sows division.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

But, wouldn't denying them firearms because of this purported statistic, or restricting their access - racial profiling law enforcement - be a high infringement to the gun rights lobby, whose rhetoric on gun ownership is always stated in terms of an absolute right?

This^^^ is also super important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Patine said:

But, wouldn't denying them firearms because of this purported statistic, or restricting their access - racial profiling law enforcement - be a high infringement to the gun rights lobby, whose rhetoric on gun ownership is always stated in terms of an absolute right?

Not a gun problem. These statistics show it's clearly a people, and more specifically, a culture problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Not a gun problem. These statistics show it's clearly a people, and more specifically, a culture problem.

What about the whole broad issue across American society and culture as a whole about the sick and twisted ingrained fetish with guns and the glorification of gun violence, a problem transcending visible demographic boundaries - the REAL root why the U.S. has the highest rate of gun-related crime of any nation in the world not in a state of civil war or with an overwhelming presence of lawless drug cartels? How about addressing and dealing with that deep-seated, root problem, instead of endlessly playing "whack-a-mole," ineffectively, with the symptoms of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who would think that a culture that objectifies women and glorifies violence through music, and has a single motherhood rate of over 70% would committ so many homicides. Even Don Lemon agrees with me: "Just because you can have a baby, it doesn't mean you should. Especially without planning for one or getting married first. More than 72 percent of children in the African-American community are born out of wedlock. That means absent fathers. And the studies show that lack of a male role model is an express train right to prison and the cycle continues. So, please, black folks, as I said if this doesn't apply to you, I'm not talking to you. Pay attention to and think about what has been presented in recent history as acceptable behavior. Pay close attention to the hip-hop and rap culture that many of you embrace. A culture that glorifies everything I just mentioned, thug and reprehensible behavior, a culture that is making a lot of people rich, just not you. And it's not going to."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Patine said:

What about the whole broad issue across American society and culture as a whole about the sick and twisted ingrained fetish with guns and the glorification of gun violence, a problem transcending visible demographic boundaries - the REAL root why the U.S. has the highest rate of gun-related crime of any nation in the world not in a state of civil war or with an overwhelming presence of lawless drug cartels? How about addressing and dealing with that deep-seated, root problem, instead of endlessly playing "whack-a-mole," ineffectively, with the symptoms of it?

Notice that we have so many mass murders in our country now as a trendline along with the decline in moral values and the normalization of mental disabilities such as gender dysphoria, transgenderism, and the increasing lack of physical discipline provided to children by their parents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Notice that we have so many mass murders in our country now as a trendline along with the decline in moral values and the normalization of mental disabilities such as gender dysphoria, transgenderism, and the increasing lack of physical discipline provided to children by their parents. 

Dont forget that a lot of times gun violence happens in areas with strict gun control amd gun free zones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jdm06ltd said:

Dont forget that a lot of times gun violence happens in areas with strict gun control amd gun free zones. 

And that the US is also a murder-free zone. But it still happens anyways wtf??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Notice that we have so many mass murders in our country now as a trendline along with the decline in moral values and the normalization of mental disabilities such as gender dysphoria, transgenderism, and the increasing lack of physical discipline provided to children by their parents. 

A great and corroboration of statistics, there! Just like the Pan-German gem of genius, "the invincible Imperial German Army lost WW1, but the Jews are still rich. There must be a connection." Thus, Nazi thinking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Patine said:

A great and corroboration of statistics, there! Just like the Pan-German gem of genius, "the invincible Imperial German Army lost WW1, but the Jews are still rich. There must be a connection." Thus, Nazi thinking...

This is another problem we face as a society. We throw the word Nazi around as an insult to anyone we disagree with that the actual vileness of the word has worn off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

 This is another problem we face as a society. We throw the word Nazi around as an insult to anyone we disagree with that the actual vileness of the word has worn off. 

Godwin's Law

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Godwin's Law

I don't believe in Godwin's Law. It artificially stifles debate, declares the Nazis were an artificial "cap" of human atrocity that can not, and will not, ever be matched or exceeded again, and cuts off all warning of perceptions of socio-political movements potentially as bad or worse on the rise, even with the utmost of sincerity and clarity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harris/Ernst 2020 said:

The number generated was 27 meaning Massachusetts wins with Texas in runner up!Screenshot_20190511-163418_Google.thumb.jpg.b4eafd808db121428bbdcf5b6ea232cc.jpg

I for one, love that in the end it had to go to a number generator. 

Thanks for doing these, they're fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patine said:

I don't believe in Godwin's Law. It artificially stifles debate, declares the Nazis were an artificial "cap" of human atrocity that can not, and will not, ever be matched or exceeded again, and cuts off all warning of perceptions of socio-political movements potentially as bad or worse on the rise, even with the utmost of sincerity and clarity.

Well if you're talking about kill counts as a measure of human atrocity then you're absolutely correct as the number was surpassed tenfold by the genocides committed by the Soviet Union and China alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SilentLiberty said:

I for one, love that in the end it had to go to a number generator. 

Thanks for doing these, they're fun.

I would have voted for Texas had I been more active here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bottom line is criminals dont follow laws. Just becausd its illegal to have a gin doesnt mean anyone will follow that law. Case in point.....its illegal to own heroin yet people still do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Well if you're talking about kill counts as a measure of human atrocity then you're absolutely correct as the number was surpassed tenfold by the genocides committed by the Soviet Union and China alone.

And Kublai Khaqan in his invasion of the Souther Song Dynasty China in the Middle Ages. But that's not REALLY all there is to it, is there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Harris/Ernst 2020 said:

The number generated was 27 meaning Massachusetts wins with Texas in runner up!Screenshot_20190511-163418_Google.thumb.jpg.b4eafd808db121428bbdcf5b6ea232cc.jpg

Didn’t somebody who didn’t vote in the poll comment for Massachusetts anyways?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Didn’t somebody who didn’t vote in the poll comment for Massachusetts anyways?

Supporting something isn't enough. You have to actually go out and vote @ all Bernie supporters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Supporting something isn't enough. You have to actually go out and vote @ all Bernie supporters.

What does this even mean? She said anyone who didn’t vote in the poll in time could comment their vote. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...