270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Patine

Part of What I've Been Talking About

@willpaddyg @daons @LegolasRedbard @Prussian1871 @wolves @SirLagsalott @michaelsdiamonds @victorraiders  @Falcon @jnewt @President Garrett Walker @Reagan04 @Conservative Elector 2 @SeanFKennedy @vcczar @jvikings1 @harveyrayson2 @lizarraba @TheMiddlePolitical @CalebsParadox @MrPrez @msc123123 @NYrepublican  @RI Democrat @servo75  @Presidentinsertname  @ThePotatoWalrus @Sunnymentoaddict @TheLiberalKitten @Quebecois @avatarmushi @Sami @WVProgressive @Kingthero @Lyly @President Trenton Adams @FrancisXKennedy @MBDemSoc @Ido@Thunder@Wiw@Harris/Ernst 2020@jnewt@Ishan@manlex @LokiLoki22 @IonicAmalgam @jdm06ltd @Berg2036 @ZedWilliamsR @Demon Taka @NYConservative@MBDemSoc @POLITICALBOMB @thr33 @Hestia11  @Actinguy @SilentLiberty @darkmoon72 @Talique @HonestAbe @ZedWilliamsR

Since there seems to be a majority belief here that rights, freedoms, and values of civilization are the very highest, or among the very few highest, in the World, I have dug up, for your edification, the common aggregate list of charges, in total, levied against the human rights record of the United States Government, and, in some cases, also individual component State Governments.

"On a number of human rights issues, the United States has been internationally criticized for its human rights record, including the least protections for workers of most Western countries,[5] the imprisonment of debtors,[6] and the criminalization of homelessness and poverty,[7][8][9] the invasion of the privacy of its citizens through surveillance programs,[10]police brutality,[11][12] police impunity,[13] the incarceration of citizens for profit, the mistreatment of prisoners and juveniles in the prison system, having the longest prison sentences of any country, being the last Western country with a death penalty, abuses of illegal immigrants,[14] including children,[15][16][17] facilitating state terrorism[18] and the continued support for foreign dictators who commit abuses (including genocide),[19][20]forced disappearances, extraordinary renditions, extrajudicial detentions, torture of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay and black sites, and extrajudicial targeted killings (Disposition Matrix).[

Just now, Actinguy said:

ok

Save everybody else and don't bother commenting if that's all you're going to say. You don't need to respond to his statements at all, but the intentionally short responses are obviously meant to rile up Patine.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

@willpaddyg @daons @LegolasRedbard @Prussian1871 @wolves @SirLagsalott @michaelsdiamonds @victorraiders  @Falcon @jnewt @President Garrett Walker @Reagan04 @Conservative Elector 2 @SeanFKennedy @vcczar @jvikings1 @harveyrayson2 @lizarraba @TheMiddlePolitical @CalebsParadox @MrPrez @msc123123 @NYrepublican  @RI Democrat @servo75  @Presidentinsertname  @ThePotatoWalrus @Sunnymentoaddict @TheLiberalKitten @Quebecois @avatarmushi @Sami @WVProgressive @Kingthero @Lyly @President Trenton Adams @FrancisXKennedy @MBDemSoc @Ido@Thunder@Wiw@Harris/Ernst 2020@jnewt@Ishan@manlex @LokiLoki22 @IonicAmalgam @jdm06ltd @Berg2036 @ZedWilliamsR @Demon Taka @NYConservative@MBDemSoc @POLITICALBOMB @thr33 @Hestia11  @Actinguy @SilentLiberty @darkmoon72 @Talique @HonestAbe @ZedWilliamsR

Since there seems to be a majority belief here that rights, freedoms, and values of civilization are the very highest, or among the very few highest, in the World, I have dug up, for your edification, the common aggregate list of charges, in total, levied against the human rights record of the United States Government, and, in some cases, also individual component State Governments.

"On a number of human rights issues, the United States has been internationally criticized for its human rights record, including the least protections for workers of most Western countries,[5] the imprisonment of debtors,[6] and the criminalization of homelessness and poverty,[7][8][9] the invasion of the privacy of its citizens through surveillance programs,[10]police brutality,[11][12] police impunity,[13] the incarceration of citizens for profit, the mistreatment of prisoners and juveniles in the prison system, having the longest prison sentences of any country, being the last Western country with a death penalty, abuses of illegal immigrants,[14] including children,[15][16][17] facilitating state terrorism[18] and the continued support for foreign dictators who commit abuses (including genocide),[19][20]forced disappearances, extraordinary renditions, extrajudicial detentions, torture of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay and black sites, and extrajudicial targeted killings (Disposition Matrix).[

I’m not surprised. All of this I knew. All of these are things we need to stop doing. Most of these are avoidable. 

12 minutes ago, Patine said:

You already know with me you're preaching to the choir.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Insano said:

You already know with me you're preaching to the choir.

Yes. It's just that your old handle name is on this mass tag. :P

Just now, Patine said:

Yes. It's just that your old handle name is on this mass tag. :P

Fair enough 😀

I've actually talked about Human rights in the USA in one of my class and it was a rather interesting talk as a lot of people did not know about how bad the human rights record is.

I didn't need to be pinged for this. 

1 hour ago, ZedWilliamsR said:

I didn't need to be pinged for this. 

I've asked to be taken of the mailing list for his projects as well, it's like Yummly recipes for spaghetti squash to my email, they just don't stop coming!

2 hours ago, jnewt said:

Save everybody else and don't bother commenting if that's all you're going to say. You don't need to respond to his statements at all, but the intentionally short responses are obviously meant to rile up Patine.

Agreed

Just now, Reagan04 said:

I've asked to be taken of the mailing list for his projects as well, it's like Yummly recipes for spaghetti squash to my email, they just don't stop coming!

Made me chuckle

8 hours ago, SirLagsalott said:

Did someone dispute this or

No, I think it's just classic Patine 

Image result for old man yells at cloud

7 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

No, I think it's just classic Patine 

Image result for old man yells at cloud

Your flippancy and humour at the subject in this thread (or, at least, conspicuously around it) is about speak volumes about the sincerity of your morals and integrity...

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

Your flippancy and humour at the subject in this thread (or, at least, conspicuously around it) is about speak volumes about the sincerity of your morals and integrity...

"Oh no, he used a meme, he is a Human Rights Abuser!"

3 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

"Oh no, he used a meme, he is a Human Rights Abuser!"

You know EXACTLY what I'm referring to, @Reagan04. Stop playing stupid. Playing moral and righteous was no more sincere, either.

I don't think I ever contended otherwise. Our human rights record is not great compared to many other wealthy democracies.

The only question I'd raise - and this is a genuine question, not an assertion, and certainly not a moral defense - is whether some of the dirty foreign policy dealings might have still happened in a world that had a Cold War but with a weaker or more inwardly-focused United States. If the U.S. hadn't armed the Contras in Nicaragua, for example, would some other NATO country have stepped into the "bad cop" role and done something similar?

Again, I'm not defending it - it would have been wrong no matter who did it.