Jump to content
270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Bullock to run for presidents

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Funny you say this, considering Gary Peters has one of the lowest approval ratings in the Senate at 33% and one of the highest unknown rating of 44 (!!!)%. His Disapproval is 23% making for a +10 with most not knowing who the guy is. He is more unknown as a sitting Senator than Republican nominee for Senate in 2018 John James is. I definitely see MISen as being a close one. 2020 is going to be a less favorable year for Dems than 2018. Peters is far weaker than Stabenow, and James made the 2018 race a lot closer than it should have been against Stabenow in 2018 for a Republican. It's definitely a race to watch.

I'd watch for Peters to retire after this cycle and Gov. Whitmer to run for the seat instead. Perhaps she'd take Stabenow's seat though, I'm unsure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Whitmer would need to leave a 2nd term (assuming she gets it) to fill in for Stabenow.  

Peters is pretty young I'm not so sure he'd retire after a second term.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
38 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Someone is going to end up winning Iowa with 3% of the vote.

Funny, but seriously we might see people winning states not hitting the minimum threshold for delegates....how will that work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
14 hours ago, vcczar said:

I think John James has a future. Very eloquent. Seems to actually have a heart. He's the kind of Republican I'd like to see more of. 

Since Michigan is likely to be redistricted next cycle due to a court ruling you might see James take a stab at a favorable seat for the house.  Most things I see online suggest he might be the challenger to Whitmer in 2022.  Apparently James was a finalist for UN Ambassador just a few weeks back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HonestAbe said:

Since Michigan is likely to be redistricted next cycle due to a court ruling you might see James take a stab at a favorable seat for the house.  Most things I see online suggest he might be the challenger to Whitmer in 2022.  Apparently James was a finalist for UN Ambassador just a few weeks back.  

He was trying to distance himself from Trump in his campaign (the reason he did as well as he did), so I bet he took himself out of the running for UN Ambassador. I think if Trump loses in 2020, some of the anti-Trump Republicans, like James, will get more attention with the help of people that voted for Clinton and the 2020 Dem just because they didn't want to vote for Trump. I always look for Republicans that I could safely call "The honorable opposition" and there is a dearth of them at the moment -- James is one, however. As is, Jon Huntsman, Susana Martinez, John Kasich, and a few others. They may be fiscally conservative, but they're also socially tolerant and respectful.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can Bennet run for president. He was born in India according to the Internet. Perhaps I missed something here, but I guess there will be some controversy about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

How can Bennet run for president. He was born in India according to the Internet. Perhaps I missed something here, but I guess there will be some controversy about this.

His parents were both American and his father worked at the US Embassy.  It's similar to John McCain running despite being born in Panama.  It's far less questionable than Ted Cruz being eligible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, pilight said:

His parents were both American and his father worked at the US Embassy.  It's similar to John McCain running despite being born in Panama.  It's far less questionable than Ted Cruz being eligible.

I see. John McCain also came to my mind, but he was born at a US military base, wasn't he? I did not came across this argument in Bennet's case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Location doesn’t matter. It’s about the birth parents. 

Of course born in US the birth parents don’t matter either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Patine said:

And what does he believe? What's his platform and agenda? To use one of those fun Yiddish words that pepper Hollywood talk I so love - what's his schtick?

I still haven't gotten an answer here, or had this addressed at all. His Wikipedia article at this time is insufficient to answer the question, and I'm not otherwise very familiar with him except for a very few mentions - usually as side notes - here and there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, vcczar said:

I think John James has a future. Very eloquent. Seems to actually have a heart. He's the kind of Republican I'd like to see more of. 

I really like him as well. I hope he runs again and I hoped so much he would be named UN ambassador but Trump actually let my hopes down twice after Haley resigned and Nauert declined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I see. John McCain also came to my mind, but he was born at a US military base, wasn't he? I did not came across this argument in Bennet's case. 

No, the hospital hadn't been built in the canal zone when McCain was born so he was born in Colon, Panama.

Cruz, who was born in another country and had only one American parent, is dubious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pilight said:

No, the hospital hadn't been built in the canal zone when McCain was born so he was born in Colon, Panama.

Cruz, who was born in another country and had only one American parent, is dubious.

Ah okay I see. Well, I knew Cruz was born in Canada as well. In former times I always thought you have to be born in the US regardless of your parents citizenship. I guess I have to do some research on this. As I understand it now, as long as both of your parents are Americans you are able to run for president even if you are not born in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, pilight said:

No, the hospital hadn't been built in the canal zone when McCain was born so he was born in Colon, Panama.

Cruz, who was born in another country and had only one American parent, is dubious.

McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone, which was U.S. territory, not part of Panama. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jnewt said:

McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone, which was U.S. territory, not part of Panama. 

He actually wasn't, as his birth certificate showed when he released it in 2008.  It showed him born in Colon Hospital, in the city of Colon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pilight said:

He actually wasn't, as his birth certificate showed when he released it in 2008.  It showed him born in Colon Hospital, in the city of Colon.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2008/may/12/born-usa/

Quote

John Sidney McCain III was born Aug. 29, 1936, in the Panama Canal Zone, where his father, a Navy officer, was stationed.

Quote

McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone, a sovereign U.S. territory at the time of McCain's birth.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, politifact is wrong.  Here's McCain's birth certificate, released by the senator himself, which clearly states he was born in Colon hospital.

 

 

 

McCain_Certificate_of_Birth.jpg

 

The Coco Solo Naval Hospital wasn't built until 1941, five years after McCain was born.  

https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/executive-order-8981-navy-hospital-area-coco-solo-canal-zone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pilight said:

Yeah, politifact is wrong.  Here's McCain's birth certificate, released by the senator himself, which clearly states he was born in Colon hospital.

 

 

 

McCain_Certificate_of_Birth.jpg

 

The Coco Solo Naval Hospital wasn't built until 1941, five years after McCain was born.  

https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/executive-order-8981-navy-hospital-area-coco-solo-canal-zone

McCain never released his birth certificate. This is an alleged birth certificate. And even if it's accurate, it proves he was born in the Panama Canal Zone. It says "The Panama Canal Health Department" (the health department of the Panama Canal Zone) right at the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jnewt said:

McCain never released his birth certificate. This is an alleged birth certificate. And even if it's accurate, it proves he was born in the Panama Canal Zone. It says "The Panama Canal Health Department" (the health department of the Panama Canal Zone) right at the top.

Many of the greatest and most well-known heads-of-state were not born in the nation they were best known for leading. Eamon de Valera, the Father of Irish Independence and the dominant force in the politics much of the Republic of Ireland for much of the 20th Century, was born to an Irish-American mother in New York City. Napoleon Bonaparte was born in Corsica before it became part of France. Chaim Weizmann was born in the UK - not Israel. And there are quite a few other good examples. Strict nativity birth laws about heads-of-state are purely xenophobia and serve little practical long-term purpose or service to a nation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Patine said:

Many of the greatest and most well-known heads-of-state were not born in the nation they were best known for leading. Eamon de Valera, the Father of Irish Independence and the dominant force in the politics much of the Republic of Ireland for much of the 20th Century, was born to an Irish-American mother in New York City. Napoleon Bonaparte was born in Corsica before it became part of France. Chaim Weizmann was born in the UK - not Israel. And there are quite a few other good examples. Strict nativity birth laws about heads-of-state are purely xenophobia and serve little practical long-term purpose or service to a nation.

I agree completely. I was just pointing out in this case that it doesn't matter, McCain was clearly born in a territory controlled by the U.S. anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...